trouble putting HSF on TBird

krogoth

Apr 26, 2000
I'm trying to put a Super Orb on my TBird, but those little rubber (?) pads near the corners seems to keep it at an un-safe distance. Should I take them off, or just press it on securely? Does anyone have any tips for putting a good layers of silicone paste between the super orb and TBird?

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
leave the pads on..they help protect the core from undue pressure which can cause it to be cracked..they are a spacer...the HSF will be at a proper distance with them in place...
Just becareful and apply even pressure when installing the HSF

Good Luck

gunf1ghter

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
The orb is a difficult hs/f to install properly... the twisting motion of the clip is not good. That's why it's not on AMD's recommended or compatible HS/F list.

Personally I would go with something that will cool as well and be a better install, like a fop32 or even the retail hs/f.

mstudd

May 15, 2001
Use the pattern the paste leaves on the heatsink as a guide to how well it contacts. If you have a thin, overall contact you are fine, just don't press down too hard on the ORB itself as you fit the clip.
The pads can't overcome the force of the clip, once it's fitted anyway, so leave them be.