Trouble playing 1080P: Hardware or software problem?

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Hi all,

I'm trying to play a 1080p video. Here are the details I know:

.MKV
x264

My computer:

6GB ram
2.14GHz C2D
4870 1GB ati radeon

So the video tends to get choppy in parts, enough so that it's unwatchable. The audio isn't affected. Is the video card unable to process the video? I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU had trouble with the video, but the graphics card should be able to handle it. 720p videos work fine.

I also want to add that I have another 1080p file that plays fine, and another that has the same problem.

Help?!!!

Forgot to mention: I'm using VLC and WMC classic

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
definitely a software problem. i would clear out any codec packs you might have and download either CCCP codec pack or Sharkey's codec pack.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
thanks for the info.

How would I clear out my codec packs? I downloaded CCCP but I don't want to install it until I uninstall the others (if that's what I'm supposed to do)

ClipSet

Mar 28, 2010
Use MPC-HC to play mkv and use coreavc to decode the files. 2.14 is a little low on cpu power for 1080p but with mpc-hc you can use dxva to have your gpu hardware accelerate the video. Now with ati cards it only works up to so many reference frames but you'll probably be able to play like 90% of 1080p mkvs this way.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
alright, I thought playing files = decoding them...

I installed CCCP and so far the files that were having trouble are playing fine in MPC. They have the same problem in VLC still, but I don't mind as long as they play in something

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Ditch VLC it blows.
Playing files does mean you're decoding them...

Install CCCP which it appears you already have. However, not sure what ffdshow version it comes with but might want to uninstall cccp, reinstall it minus ffdshow, then install ffdshow manually so you can get an up to date copy which has ffmpeg-mt as an option for h264 video decoding (has frame based threading).

If mpc with cccp works fine then use that. An alternative would be: http://kovensky.project357.com/ which is just a custom mplayer build for windows so then there's no directshow used at all.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What AV are you running? I have had awful luck with any video decoding using Microsofts Sercurity Essentials. I cant even decode DVD withtou skipping lol. So i turn off the real time file scan while watching any video.