Trouble overclocking my new Q9550...

100Core

Mar 8, 2009
Hey guys, any help is appreciated.

So my Q9550 doesnt want to go above 399 FSB. My temps are low at 27idle, 30-40 maxed out, so I dont think thats an issue. Ive been playing with voltages quite a bit, but it just refuses to post after 399. I think its my ram not keeping up right? Is there any way to obtain a faster processor clock speed with this ram?

Build:

Q9550 at 3.39 (want to hit 4.0 at least)
GB EP45-UD3P
4x 1Gb Gskill 800
Asus DK Radeon 4870 512mb
Seagate 1.5TB @7200
NZXT Tempest
Antec 650w

Thanks for your time!

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Every CPU overclocks differently. Even a batch of CPU's that are supposed to overclock well doesn't mean yours will overclock well. I'm not familiar with your motherboard but if there is an option to unsync the RAM from the FSB then do so and tune each separately, this may or may not give you a little extra headroom.

ElBurro

Feb 27, 2009
I agree with akugami here. Overclocking a processor is not a guaranteed process. What exactly are you setting the voltages to? What happens when you go above 399. Does it BSOD or does it just not boot?

100Core

Mar 8, 2009
I understand that every CPU overclocks differently, and that there are no gaurantees on what speeds can be reached. But trying to get better numbers is the whole fun of this right? And 3.39 is a pretty modest OC for a Q9550 from what I can gather.

To answer your questions Elburro, When I go above 399FSB, it tries to boot, the power dies, it tries again, and the power dies a second time. It then automatically reverts to default settings and successfully posts on its third try.

The voltages are on auto at this point, I was planning on finding the minimum voltage needed after I successfully achieved a faster OC.

I found the option to unsync the RAM from the FSB, and sure enough it did allow me to hit a 430FSB and 3.66Ghz. Thank you akugami!

It seems stable at the moment, but should I be worried? Is it safe to oveclock my PC2-6400 ram to 430Mhz? Thats not that aggressive right? Could I go higher if I can get it stable or is this pretty risky?

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: 100Core
I understand that every CPU overclocks differently, and that there are no gaurantees on what speeds can be reached. But trying to get better numbers is the whole fun of this right? And 3.39 is a pretty modest OC for a Q9550 from what I can gather.

To answer your questions Elburro, When I go above 399FSB, it tries to boot, the power dies, it tries again, and the power dies a second time. It then automatically reverts to default settings and successfully posts on its third try.

The voltages are on auto at this point, I was planning on finding the minimum voltage needed after I successfully achieved a faster OC.

I found the option to unsync the RAM from the FSB, and sure enough it did allow me to hit a 430FSB and 3.66Ghz. Thank you akugami!

It seems stable at the moment, but should I be worried? Is it safe to oveclock my PC2-6400 ram to 430Mhz? Thats not that aggressive right? Could I go higher if I can get it stable or is this pretty risky?

Generally when trying to tweak it for the very last bit of juice, you want to manually set the voltages. That's why it's suggested you not use the auto voltage setting.

Unsyncing the RAM will allow you to use separate timings for the RAM and the FSB. This means if you use cheaper RAM (hopefully not cheap quality, just less expensive), you can still overclock your CPU to a higher degree without the RAM affecting your overclocks by any large degree. Keep in mind even though you may have RAM that in synthetic tests shows a 50% improvement, in the real world, it'll likely only give you a couple % performance increase. Using cheaper RAM is perfectly fine and even recommended.

Depending on what type of RAM you have you can probably clock it higher. You'd really have to see what type of RAM you have and what the default voltages your RAM runs at. Also keep in mind using lower RAM timings can also produce an increase in RAM performance even at the same speeds.

Make sure you use Core Temp or Real Temp to check the temperature of your CPU. Use Memtest86+ to test the stability of your RAM. Use Prime95 to test the stability of your overclock. It's best to leave Prime95 (32 bit and 64 bit as well as multi-threaded versions) running for 24 hours to consider it stable. If possible, keep your room as warm as possible, for instance simulate what your room temps will be in the summer. I've put a CPU in stress test in a room that hit 95'ish F and left it running for 24 hours with something like Prime95. Pretty much guaranteeing it won't fail under stress. Keep an eye on your CPU's temps during testing. Generally you don't want your CPU's going above about 65-70C.

An alternative to Prime95 is Intel Burn Test. This thing will really really heat up and stress your CPU. Running it around 50-100 times should give you a good indication of whether it's stable or not.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: 100Core
When I go above 399FSB, it tries to boot, the power dies, it tries again, and the power dies a second time. It then automatically reverts to default settings and successfully posts on its third try.

Ditto to akagumi's post.

He's right about "auto" voltage settings, and I was going to ask what your CPU_VTT or CPU_FSB voltage was showing. But I'm just getting familiar with these Intel chipsets, having built my machines over the last couple years on the nVidia offerings.

If you can hit 430 and it boots, then you should be able to make it stable. Here, though, if you're running CPU : RAM at 1:1, you're pushing the RAM to DDR=860 Mhz. If the RAM can handle it, it will require more voltage than at spec 800.

akagumi is giving you some good insights, so I'll stop here. Again, I've seen some RAM kits from earlier-gen DDR1 where you could keep the voltage just within spec, keep the same guaranteed low-latency settings for the spec speed, and increase the speed significantly above spec.

bfu

Feb 4, 2008
Hi,
I have the same board (UD3P), I'm try overclcok a Q9400. currently running at 3.2Ghz stable, but I like to go higher.
so, which option in bio is to unsync the RAM from the FSB??
Thanks

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
It is not the chip keeping you back, I can almost guarantee you that.

You need to run the RAM at a lower divider, and let us know what voltages you have tried.

I would read the overclocking sticky, as it wont just be Vcore you need to adjust with a Quad and 4 sticks of RAM.

bfu

Feb 4, 2008
Thanks OCguy, I'll read the overclocking sticky before I go any further

davekozy

Nov 5, 2006
Wasn't sure if it was me or my chip because I was having trouble getting 3.7 stable but you say that is close to the max for C1 stepping 9550's. I guess I'll have to settle for 3.6. Running prime blend now. My volts and temps for 3.7 were getting out of hand but now at 1.26 FSB, 1.2 NB, 1.2625 CPU, and 1.9 RAM and so far so good at 1 hour 20 minutes.

Edit: Asus P5Q, 2x2GB GSkill. Auto voltage on this board way overvolts the CPU. It was giving it 1.36 at 3.4 GHz making it run very hot.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
with 4 sticks and a quad, upping NB Voltage may be necessary. certainly is with my q6600 on my 780i. may need to up voltage for FSB a bit too, once you get higher FSB's. but ya, go ahead and read ppl's stuff, to find aproximate manual voltages to start with. remember you will still have to stress test it and tweak it more later.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Let me clarify a bit on my previouse post:

This is written on the IHS itself:

intel name/copyright stuff
SLAWR MALAY
2.66GHz/12M/1333/05A
L812A700

This is written in the little black area just below the IHS:

7A0366

so this would mean I have a week 12 A or A0 stepping for my Q9450 I guess ...
2006 or 2005 ?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Shmee
with 4 sticks and a quad, upping NB Voltage may be necessary. certainly is with my q6600 on my 780i. may need to up voltage for FSB a bit too, once you get higher FSB's. but ya, go ahead and read ppl's stuff, to find aproximate manual voltages to start with. remember you will still have to stress test it and tweak it more later.

Those were my thoughts, but I, too, am running a 780i board.

Even so, the conventional wisdom for any and all chipsets -- if I recall the Anandtech over-clocking QX9650 article correctly -- is that moving into the range about 400 Mhz host-frequency requires juicing up the CPU_VTT or CPU_FSB (same thing) a tad.

The Anandtech caution is: "1.4V or higher will endanger your CPU."

Graysky suggests that 400Mhz is a threshold for about a 1.3V VTT/FSB setting. On my 780i, this results in a "reported" voltage closer to 1.28V.

With Shmee's Q6600, he's got more wiggle-room for that voltage setting. Anandtech was addressing the 45nm cores at risk with high VTT settings.

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
fyi: rig in sig

Bios F9b

Q9550 E0 (L835B166) pack date: 11/11/2008

Robust Graphics Booster.....................[ Auto ]
CPU Clock Ratio.............................[ 8 ]
Fine CPU Clock Ratio........................[ 0.0 ]
CPU Frequency 4.0GHz........................[ 500*8.0 ]

******Clock Chip Control******

CPU Host Clock Control......................[Enabled ]
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)....................[500 ]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz).................[100 ]
C.I.A 2.....................................[Disabled]

******Advanced Clock Control******

CPU Clock Drive.............................[ 1000mv ]
PCI Express Clock Drive.....................[ 1000mv ]
CPU Clock Skew..............................[ 0ps ]
MCH Clock Skew..............................[ 50ps ]

******DRAM Performance Control******

Performance Enhance.........................[ Turbo ]
Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)................[ Disabled]
(G) MCH Frequency Latch.....................[ 333MHz ]
System Memory Multipler.....................[ 2.00b ]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) .....................[1000 DDR2]

DRAM Timing Selectable......................[ Manual ]

CAS Latency Time............................[ 5 ]
tRCD........................................[ 5 ]
tRP.........................................[ 5 ]
tRAS........................................[ 15 ]

******Advanced Timing Control******

tRRD........................................[Auto ]
tWTR........................................[Auto ]
tWR.........................................[Auto ]
tRFC........................................[Auto(52)]
tRTP........................................[Auto ]
Command Rate (cmd)..........................[Auto ]

******Motherboard Voltage Control******

Load-Line Calibration [Enabled]
CPU Vcore [ 1.25 ]...............[ 1.3500 ] (1.328 CPU-Z)
CPU Termination [ 1.20 ]...............[ 1.28 ]
CPU PLL [ 1.50 ]...............[ 1.570 ]
CPU Reference [ 0.760 ]...............[ 0.835 ]

MCH Core [1.1 ]...............[ 1.32 ]
MCH Reference [0.760 ]...............[ 0.850 ]
MCH/DRAM Refernce [0.900 ]...............[ 1.000 ]
ICH I/O [1.500 ]...............[ 1.500 ]
ICH Core [1.100 ]...............[ 1.100 ]

DRAM Voltage [1.800 ]...............[ 2.02 ]
DRAM Termination [0.900 ]...............[ 1.000 ]
Channel A Ref [0.900 ]...............[ Auto ]
Channel B Ref [0.900 ]...............[ Auto ]