Trouble is brewing between me and a real estate agent.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Originally posted by: pulse8
Originally posted by: mugs

I'm just being paranoid. I just have to wonder if she ever brings up our house to her other clients since she knows her mother has a high interest in it.

It's not her job to sell your house. :confused:

Huh? It's not a real estate agent's job to sell available homes, and thereby gain commission for themselves? :confused:

It's only the job of YOUR agent to sell YOUR house. If the daughter of the old lady is not your agent, then it is not her job to sell your house. It is her job to help her client buy your house if her client wants it.

I think we are wrangling over wording here, so I think I understand what you are saying. However, as someone who was once a commissioned salesperson in college, I would say that it is a commissioned salesperson's job to sell anything and everything possible in order to make as much $$$ as possible. That worked very well for me, anyway.

It may be in your best interest to sell if you're on commission, but bottom line you don't have to do anything.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'm still trying to sell my old house.

One elderly lady in particular has looked at the house five (yes, 5) times but has not made an offer yet. The lady's agent keeps calling our agent every few days to talk about the house; according to our agent, the conversations are extremely unproductive and don't go anywhere. Now a piece of info has come to light that makes me wonder what is going on.

The real estate agent who is showing the house to the old lady is the old lady's daughter.

The daughter represents one of the largest real estate firms in town. I'm left wondering if she might not be pushing/showing our house to her clients because she is holding it for her mother. I don't have any evidence to this end, but I just have to wonder.

Anyway, I'm also kind of concerned that the old lady has looked at the house so many times. What can she be doing? Surely by now she knows whether or not she is interested.

Advice?

What on earth does this information have to do with anything? The daughter isn't representing you so how could she be holding the house for her Mom?

If you get another decent offer then take it. If not then it doesn't hurt you at all for this woman to see it 5 more times or wait a couple more weeks before deciding to make an offer.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: boomerang
I used to sell Real Estate.

An agent's primary interest is to sell their own listings. Keeps their customers happy and they double-dip on the commission. Makes them look like a hero. They get a commission to list and one when they sell.

Their second priority is to sell the listings within their own office. Keeps the broker happy.

The last thing they want to do is sell a house listed by another company. The commission is then split between the two companies (listing and selling) and everyone makes less all the way down the line.

This is why it is in the best interest of a seller to list their home for sale with a local company. Agents in their area want to sell in their area. An agent is unlikely to have a customer looking for a home 50 miles away and they sure as hell don't want to be driving around in unfamiliar territory showing houses.

Listing your home for sale with a friend or relative that works in an office out of your area can be the kiss of death.

This post is for informational puposes only and may or may not have any bearing on your current situation. Do you like my disclaimer? :)

That is not true at all. Any decent real estate agent will pull up and show you properties that he/she thinks you might be interested it. Sure they might prefer that you buy one of their listings but not showing you a property because it isn't one of their listings is the mark of a bad realtor. If I were buying a house and suspected my agent was doing that I'd report them to the board of realtors and fire them on the spot. :|

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I don't think there's any law that sais she is required to show your house to her customers. You're kind of stuck till her mother shizzes and gets off the pot whether to buy your place.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I think we are wrangling over wording here, so I think I understand what you are saying. However, as someone who was once a commissioned salesperson in college, I would say that it is a commissioned salesperson's job to sell anything and everything possible in order to make as much $$$ as possible. That worked very well for me, anyway.

It may be in your best interest to sell if you're on commission, but bottom line you don't have to do anything.

Exactly, and not all salepeople need to sell at whatever costs it takes. In this case they are probably thinking the way the market is going, it will be a good buy for her family member. In order to keep that going her not showing it to others as well keeping your place tied up with appointment to show it over and over again.

Fact is though not many buyers are beating down doors to see homes right now. It's not unusual to go 6 months+ on the market now without an offer.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Real estate agents are the lowest form of human life next to....

Meter maids
Telemarketers
Door 2 Door sales

There's a saying about people who become K-12 teachers (those who can't teach). You can say the same about real estate agents.

It's all about $$$$$$ and hit em up and run kind of mentality. Fly by night is the next.

They are more interested in their personal gain rather then your's. And a lot of them practice illegal activites.

I bought a house in balto, md. I was a first time home buyer. I used an agent who refered me to a mortgage company. I was dealing with the mort company and little did I know she was getting money (illegal) out from the mortgage company using them as a proxy. I paid one point twoards my mortgage which was supposed to lower the interest but there was no "point disclosure" form signed. REQUIRED IN MARYLAND. I filed a complaing with the DLLR and they found the agent was running several scams of similar such. Involving other clients. She was fired and the mortgage company was fined and many people involving my load were either disciplined or fired. Later my mortage was re-amortized at the request of the state with a much better % and all of my app fees and related cost for the mortgage was re-funded.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

Meter maids
Telemarketers
Door 2 Door sales

There's a saying about people who become K-12 teachers (those who can't teach). You can say the same about real estate agents.

It's all about $$$$$$ and hit em up and run kind of mentality. Fly by night is the next.

They are more interested in their personal gain rather then your's. And a lot of them practice illegal activites.

I bought a house in balto, md. I was a first time home buyer. I used an agent who refered me to a mortgage company. I was dealing with the mort company and little did I know she was getting money (illegal) out from the mortgage company using them as a proxy. I paid one point twoards my mortgage which was supposed to lower the interest but there was no "point disclosure" form signed. REQUIRED IN MARYLAND. I filed a complaing with the DLLR and they found the agent was running several scams of similar such. Involving other clients. She was fired and the mortgage company was fined and many people involving my load were either disciplined or fired. Later my mortage was re-amortized at the request of the state with a much better % and all of my app fees and related cost for the mortgage was re-funded.

I love how some people can make broad statements about everyone in an industry based off the actions of one person. :laugh:

And your satement about K-12 teachers should be entered in the running for most assinine statement of the year. College professors maybe... But are you really trying to say that public school teachers can't do basic algebra so they teach it? :roll:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: kevnich2
If you're actually still wondering about this, you're in denial. If the lady is the real estate agent's MOTHER, I'd say you need to confront the real estate agent on this and basically fire her and get a new one. That IMO constitutes breach of the client's best interests, not to mention morals as well. I'd say she's trying to get you to lower your cost for her mother and sell it at an extremely cheaper price while making sure no one else sees the house.

I wasn't clear - the lady's daughter who is the agent isn't our agent. If she was, I'd fire her so quickly she wouldn't know what happened.

so whats the problem?

your agent should be pushing it. teh old lady's agent should be pushing houses to the buyer.

i don't see how the other agent could be holding it until it goes lower.

I'm just being paranoid. I just have to wonder if she ever brings up our house to her other clients since she knows her mother has a high interest in it.

who knows if she even has other clients. maybe your house is exactly what her mother wants in a price range she wants. so she keeps bringing her back to look at it? maybe she is waiting for it to go down to put a offer on it.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT MATTER?

you have an agent. call her and ask if anyone besides the old lady is looking. ask her why they are doing? etc etc.

your agent should be pushing the house ot other agetns etc. what a diffrent agetn is doing has nothing to do with it.

now if you think yoru agent is helping the other one then yeah you have problems.

The reason it matters is because if the daughter is deliberately not showing the house to her other clients, then my house has a less chance of being sold.

Admittedly, I'm just being paranoid and I have no evidence that this is happening, just a suspicion.

One of the guys at work said that if the agent is actually holding the house for her mother, then she might be both breaking the law and violating her real estate license.

who is to say she didn't show other people the house (at the office) and they did not care for it? who is to say she even has other clients right now?

IT DOES NOT matter. there is nothitng you can do about it (besides tell your agent to tell her to fuck off).

its really doubtfull the other agent is doing anything wrong.

sheesh.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Meter maids
Telemarketers
Door 2 Door sales

I love how some people can make broad statements about everyone in an industry based off the actions of one person. :laugh:

And your satement about K-12 teachers should be entered in the running for most assinine statement of the year. College professors maybe... But are you really trying to say that public school teachers can't do basic algebra so they teach it? :roll:

It's commonplace that people don't speak high of a real estate agent. Again, read on conflicts of interest. His/her interest is actually quite more important then yours. If they don't have food on the table it will hurt them more then you. So they are looking for you to buy a house as quickly as possible (higher price if best), or sell yours for as much as possible.

Your reference to College professors scares me much to know you think like that. College professors are far more educated then a K-12 teacher and mainly are involved in research in their field. They are also called upon by many entities to be a expert in their field (i.e. court, government, news). Most of them if you didn't already know hold at least a PhD. You need a B.S. to for a K-12 teacher and start at least 20 K something. :laugh:

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
Let's say this other agent is 'holding' the house for her mother. What of it? That just means that any buyer who is interested in it that asks this company to show it to them won't be able to get an appointment. That buyer can and should go to any other agency - ideally your agent - and ask to see it. If the buyer is interested at all I would have to imagine they would put some effort into it.

The only one who could 'hold' the house for one customer is your agent, and even they can't really do that, because any agent can show any house.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: kevnich2
If you're actually still wondering about this, you're in denial. If the lady is the real estate agent's MOTHER, I'd say you need to confront the real estate agent on this and basically fire her and get a new one. That IMO constitutes breach of the client's best interests, not to mention morals as well. I'd say she's trying to get you to lower your cost for her mother and sell it at an extremely cheaper price while making sure no one else sees the house.

I wasn't clear - the lady's daughter who is the agent isn't our agent. If she was, I'd fire her so quickly she wouldn't know what happened.

so whats the problem?

your agent should be pushing it. teh old lady's agent should be pushing houses to the buyer.

i don't see how the other agent could be holding it until it goes lower.

who knows if she even has other clients. maybe your house is exactly what her mother wants in a price range she wants. so she keeps bringing her back to look at it? maybe she is waiting for it to go down to put a offer on it.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT MATTER?

you have an agent. call her and ask if anyone besides the old lady is looking. ask her why they are doing? etc etc.

your agent should be pushing the house ot other agetns etc. what a diffrent agetn is doing has nothing to do with it.

now if you think yoru agent is helping the other one then yeah you have problems.

The reason it matters is because if the daughter is deliberately not showing the house to her other clients, then my house has a less chance of being sold.

Admittedly, I'm just being paranoid and I have no evidence that this is happening, just a suspicion.

One of the guys at work said that if the agent is actually holding the house for her mother, then she might be both breaking the law and violating her real estate license.

who is to say she didn't show other people the house (at the office) and they did not care for it? who is to say she even has other clients right now?

IT DOES NOT matter. there is nothitng you can do about it (besides tell your agent to tell her to fuck off).

its really doubtfull the other agent is doing anything wrong.

sheesh.

Fortunatley there is an organization that regulates real estate agents. If he/she were to notify them and explain the situation it will be investigated. As a matter of fact if you go to that agent and make a theat of such, I'm sure she will take it seriouslly. If they investigate her boss could be contacted and it would gum up the whole selling/buying process. So it would be wise for her to correct her mental deviation.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Meter maids
Telemarketers
Door 2 Door sales

That guy is delusional, the funniest part is it sounds like he knew he was getting taken advantage of but signed the papers anyway.

IMHO if you sign something that shows none of your money is applied properly, you deserve what you get...not a bail out.

All these asshats are lining up and not paying on mortgages thinking goold ole Uncle Sam will cover the costs and refi them at the taxpayers cost.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
she's not your agent so she is not obligated to sell your house for you. you are being a bit paranoid! unless there really is something at your house that you dont want others to see? *dun dun dun*

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Meter maids
Telemarketers
Door 2 Door sales

That guy is delusional, the funniest part is it sounds like he knew he was getting taken advantage of but signed the papers anyway.

IMHO if you sign something that shows none of your money is applied properly, you deserve what you get...not a bail out.

All these asshats are lining up and not paying on mortgages thinking goold ole Uncle Sam will cover the costs and refi them at the taxpayers cost.

Everybody knows first time home buyers are always the one's who don't know the "GAME" and are much more likely to be taken advantage of. I would have never gone though this knowing a possible fraud was going on. Working with authorities was a bitch even though we were not in the wrong. We had to prove we were not and a lot of people were playing the "Cover my ass" game. Esp. the real estate agent side.