Trouble connecting to Steam with Verizon 3G tethered computer

AV1611

Feb 20, 2002
Guys:

I use EasyTether Pro to connect my Droid X2 to my laptop when I'm travelling. The phone just connects to the laptop via USB port. Works like a charm. I can check Gmail, surf anywhere including my bank website, use Ventrilo, but I can't get it to connect to Steam so I can play PC games that I have tied to Steam. I assume it's a port issue and Steam doesn't use port 80. So, how would I get Steam to recognize my connection so I can fire up a Steam registered game?

Thanks,

AV1611 out......

Nov 19, 2011
I had an issue similar with pda.net on an old eris. It corrupted my steam content. Had to reinstall on dsl/cable was the only way to fix it. If I was a betting man: It's some Verizon does on purpose.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Would not be surprised if Verizon deliberately makes it difficult. Most of those game downloads average 5 gigs. They dont want you doing that on your phone, even if you've paid for a 10 gig plan.

And it doesnt matter if you just wanna play games you already installed, they probably consider all Steam traffic to be the same.

AV1611

Feb 20, 2002
Oh, well, no Skyrim until I get cable internet Friday evening.

AV1611 out.....

AV1611

Feb 20, 2002
Weird, I can connect to Steam now. Netflix works, too. Throughput is lame, though, so I have to let Netflix cache for a few minutes before starting a show. Thankfully I have a grandfathered Verizon 3g plan so I have unlimited 3g. I highly recommend EasyTether Pro for Android. It just works. No tethering plan with your carrier needed. Rock solid connection. I can leave my Android connected all afternoon without dropping the connection between it and the laptop. The phone also stays fully charged while connected to the USB port.

AV1611 out....

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Guys:

I use EasyTether Pro to connect my Droid X2 to my laptop when I'm travelling. The phone just connects to the laptop via USB port. Works like a charm. I can check Gmail, surf anywhere including my bank website, use Ventrilo, but I can't get it to connect to Steam so I can play PC games that I have tied to Steam. I assume it's a port issue and Steam doesn't use port 80. So, how would I get Steam to recognize my connection so I can fire up a Steam registered game?

Thanks,

AV1611 out......

If it is a single player game, then you can play in offline mode. If you are playing on-line though, I see your problem.

AV1611

Feb 20, 2002
I couldn't even connect to Stream to validate the game so I could play. Then, for no reason it started working. Wasn't a multi-player game issue. Was a Steam + Verizon issue.

AV1611 out.....