trouble booting raid 0

svtour1

Jun 22, 2003
Im trying to set up raid 0 using my gigabyte 7dxr motherboard with onboard promise raid. One hard drive is formatted, and the other just has windows xp pro on it. the taid configurer recognizes both of the drives, but i cant get it to boot up. it just says "verifying dmi data pool" or something like that.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
First you would want to get your Promise controller's drivers on a floppy diskette. Now define these two drives as a striped array in the Promise BIOS, which is going to destroy your existing WinXP installation and all your data. Once that's done, start Windows Setup from the CD-ROM, and press the F6 key when you see that first blue screen that says "Press F6 now if you have third-party drivers, etc." Setup will get itself going and then prompt for the floppy with the Promise drivers on it when it's ready. The array will appear to WinXP to be a single hard drive, and you can set up Windows just as usual.

Are you sure you want to do RAID0, though? If one drive fails, all the data is gone.

svtour1

Jun 22, 2003
oops. i got the correct (or so i think) raid drivers installed, and it let me choose a drive to install it on. I was formatting the drive and doin a partition, and i got some error. now it cannot find the drives (when i install xp)