Tropico 4 coming soon!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
I'll play TP4 even if it turns out to be a re-hash of TP3 (which never has enough missions to satisfy the single player in me). Damn...I have the urge to play TP3 again now.

Edit: Thanks for mentioning the Stronghold 3. I love the first and, to a much lesser extent, the second game. I hope this one is a truly worthy successor to the first game.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I'll get it when it is on sale. Kalypso (publisher) loves putting their stuff on sale on Steam (especially Tropico 3)

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Does this crap in games irritate anyone else?

Yes. I'm not on Facebook or Twitter and never will be so this sort of stuff is annoying.

If they up the ante and start requiring FB accounts for online play or anything like that then I'll start shooting. It's bad enough that certain websites now only allow comments if you log in with your FB account, like RollingStone, it's a crock.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
It reminded me a lot of Pharaoh, which I loved as a kid and would still play but I don't have a copy of it and I don't know how it would run. Tropico 3 to me is the same type of gameplay but maybe a little less in-depth.

God I miss Homeworld.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Well I played the demo. It's basically the exact same game as Tropico 3. I have no clue how this is a new game. There's basically just a few UI changes, slightly more complex foreign relations, and a few new buildings. It's basically an expansion pack. All of the buildings and islands look the same.

They also don't seem to have fixed the construction workers. They just wander around the island doing nothing. I could have 4 buildings waiting to be built but only 2 workers working for an entire year. The rest just walk around.

I was enjoying the game though, until a tornado rolled in and destroyed every single one of my tobacco farms. It went from one to the other as if it was designed to travel from building to building (probably is). As soon as I saw it destroyed 5 farms and a garage, I quit. Fuck that.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i bought 3 with the expansion during the summer sale, and played it for about 5 minutes into the tutorial. ...seems like lots of micromanaging each citizens' details? (I doubt you have to care about such things, but pointing it out in the tutorial made me want to close it, heh).

I will load it back up at some point--as I love these type of games--but the dictator/sim is not in my wheelhouse right now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Key Features:

*Facebook and Twitter integration – Post live Tweets directly from the game or create posts automatically upon completion of missions, unlocking achievements, etc. Store and display achievements and screenshots of your ultimate island empire on facebook and compare your Dictator Rankings against others online (Windows PC only feature)

lolno.

D:D:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Personally, I'm more interested in Stronghold 3 which is due out September or October. I forget which month their site says. Anyway, I too would say just wait for Tropico 4 if you are interested in the Tropico series. T4 is basically an improved version of T3 with some added features and maps.

that's what everyone said about Civ 5 before release date:

--hex tiles? YES! Finally! Win!!
--One unit per tile = no more stack of doom & creating choke points? YES! Finally!! Win!!11

:D

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
The demo is out on Steam. I have it installed but haven't played it yet.

Thanks!

I played it for 2+ hours so far. Maybe I need a DX11 GPU to notice what looks like from the screen shots better graphics then the 1st cause the difference isn't that great on my machine. The shadows are awesome though and the trees sway in the breeze.

I don't know if they yanked Juanito or what, but his voice is missing from the radio station :( Instead there's a female that comes on time to time to make some references. Actually, El Presidente sounds different too :(

They added in some 'advisers' with very good voice acting along with some missions that pop up which adds a lot of flavor to the game. There's now the Middle East, China and EU asking you to help them out with trade.

Buildings go up a little faster, but still get dragged down like before. Money seems to be made a lot easier.

I only played the first island from the missions so I don't know what the rest is like yet.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
first impressions:

+ 'quests' or objectives, provides cash flow / incentive
+ UI refinement, general gameplay enhancements
+ graphics tweaks, nothing groundbreaking
+ new content
+ quick build feature for when you are rolling in dough
+ things just work better

- should really be a free patch or expansion for T3
- money might be a little too unrealistically easy

quick build is an awesome feature that you could have used after all your fields got owned by the tornado.