Troopergate Reaching Critical Mass: ABC Interviews Monegan

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

Please use your existing thread on the subject

Senior Anandtech moderator
Common Courtesy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As if having the media expose her constant lying about earmarks and the Bush-like cronyism/secrecy in her administration wasn't enough...Troopergate is back with a vengeance.

The investigative team issued subpoenas to Palin's state employees and her husband; nobody is complying. The investigative team wanted to speak with Palin (who earlier this year said she would welcome their questions); she's avoiding them. Palin is pushing the state attorney general to silence the investigation by taking it to court (sounds like Alaska's AG took tips from Gonzo).

Looks like nobody in the media or the investigative team wants to give Palin a 'get out of jail free' card on this. Monegan is calling her an outright liar.

Text

By RHONDA SCHWARTZ and JUSTIN ROOD

"She's not telling the truth when she told ABC neither she nor her husband pressured me to fire Trooper Wooten," said Walt Monegan, the Alaskan official whose dismissal by Sarah Palin is the focus of a state investigation known as "Troopergate". "And she's not telling the truth to the media about her reasons for firing me."

In an exclusive interview with ABC News.com, former Alaska Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan said he resisted pressure by the First Couple to re-open an old case against a state trooper, who was in a hotly contested divorce and custody battle with the Governor's sister Molly.

Alaskan lawmakers are investigating whether Palin and her husband used the power of the Governor's office to conduct a personal vendetta against their former brother-in-law, whose behavior during the 2005 divorce was described by the Palin family as " threatening."

In a 20/20 interview, Palin told ABC's Charles Gibson she dismissed Monegan for poor job performance and that neither she nor her husband pressured Monegan to fire State Trooper Wooten. "We never did. I never pressured him to hire or fire anybody," Palin said.

But Monegan told ABC News.com he was summoned to a meeting with Todd Palin in December 2006, shortly after Sarah Palin became governor.

"I was called to her Anchorage formal Governor's office to talk with Todd Palin about an issue that was a private family matter," recounted Monegan. Todd became "upset," Monegan recalled, when told the allegations had already been investigated and the case would not be re-opened.

"When Sarah later called to tell me the same thing, I thought to myself, 'I may not be long for this job.'" But, Monegan said, he stood by his position. "I held the public trust. As Chief, I was responsible."

Governor Palin initially agreed to "cooperate fully" with the Alaska state legislative investigation but since being chosen as John McCain's running mate both she and her husband have refused to testify voluntarily. Friday the legislature issued a subpoena for Todd Palin.

Monegan said he tried to persuade the first couple to drop the matter. "As a cop for 35 years I'm pretty familiar with issues that come up in divorce cases," and said his argument to both Todd and Sarah was, "if this was so egregious, why didn't you bring it up sooner? Why did you wait until several years later?"

Monegan, who gave sworn testimony behind closed doors for nearly eight hours last week, said he also provided the State's investigator with copies of e-mails he received from the Governor in which she referred in disparaging terms to her former brother-in-law.

"This is not a 'he said she said' situation. Others were contacted by Todd and Sarah as well," according to Monegan, who said he was confident the investigation would find adequate documentation to corroborate his testimony.

The former Public Safety Commissioner also strongly defended his job performance in response to Palin's complaints about his work to ABC's Gibson.

"After two years he wasn't meeting the goals I wanted met in that area of public service, there were a lot of things we were lacking and a lot of goals weren't being met." Palin said on 20/20.

"No goals were conveyed to me by the Governor at any time," said Monegan.

"All of the Commissioners who worked for the Governor would say the same. She was preoccupied with her pipeline proposal," Monegan said. "All of us were waiting to hear what goals she would set for our departments."

Monegan said the Governor never sat down to talk with him about public safety priorities. "She met with us perhaps four times," he said, "and half the time the Governor was busy on her Blackberry. In one meeting she took a phone call and left the room, directing us to talk to her aide."

The only goals that were set for his department, said Monegan, "we incorporated through the Department of Public Safety Strategic Plan, which we ran past her, she approved and we posted on our website."

The former Commissioner said under his leadership the department was pursuing several new initiatives, but that efforts were slowed down by union contract negotiations.

Monegan stressed he was not upset and did hold any animosity toward his former boss. "I like the lady," said Monegan. "I bear her no animosity, I admire her intelligence and initiative. I wish I could respect her more for her integrity."

Meanwhile the Governor has requested her own investigation of Monegan's dismissal by the State Personnel Board and Anchorage attorney Thomas V. Von Flein has been retained to represent the First Couple in the state legislature's investigating committee.

When asked how he came to represent the Palins, Von Flein told ABC News he could not reveal who hired him due to attorney client privilege but that "he worked through word of mouth."

Von Flein said he questioned the validity of the legislature's subpoena power and expressed his concerns that the committee's investigation had become "a highly politicized investigation conducted in secret " reminiscent of "the McCarthy era."

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
So her husband is openly defying a subpoena? Is this a court of law or just like a congressional subpoena? Don't you get held in contempt and can go to jail or does he have some appeal thing he can do?

Jun 27, 2005
Edit: Sources are better than me talking...

This is how much of a non-issue this all is. She recently filed an ethics complaint against herself to put all this to rest.

http://www.adn.com/monegan/story/514163.html

Published: September 3rd, 2008 01:34 AM
Last Modified: September 3rd, 2008 01:39 AM

Gov. Sarah Palin wants a state board to review the circumstances surrounding the dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan -- taking the unusual step of making an ethics complaint against herself.

Her lawyer sent an "ethics disclosure" Monday night to Attorney General Talis Colberg. The governor asked that it go to the three-person Personnel Board as a complaint. While ethics complaints are usually confidential, Palin wants the matter open.

The lawyer, Thomas Van Flein, also asked the state Legislature to drop its own investigation into the Monegan matter. He says the Personnel Board has jurisdiction over ethics.

A senator running the investigation immediately refused.

The 13-page document gives Palin's view of a controversy that's dogged her for weeks in Alaska. Questions about whether she or others in her family or administration pressured Monegan to fire her ex-brother-in-law, state Trooper Mike Wooten, are now getting intense national attention with her newfound prominence on the national stage. Republican Sen. John McCain announced Friday that she's his pick to be vice president.

Under state law, the board must hire an independent counsel for complaints against the governor to determine whether evidence of a violation of the state ethics act exists.

"Governor Palin believes it will find no conceivable violation of the Ethics Act," her complaint says. She wants the investigation "to put these matters to rest."

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Too bad he has already admitted she nor anyone in her office ever asked him to fire the trooper in question.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: QED
Too bad he has already admitted she nor anyone in her office ever asked him to fire the trooper in question.
Too bad he has already admitted they put pressure on him to re-open Wooten's case, and when he didn't they fired him.

The party of crooks gets a nice scandal on their doorstep. Fitting.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Too bad he has already admitted they put pressure on him to re-open Wooten's case, and when he didn't they fired him.

And he has proof of this? Some form of paper record? Audio recording? His story might be plausible if his own final e-mail to fellow state employees didn't contradict it... so right now all this sounds as credible as the guy who claimed that Michelle Obama gave a "hate whitey" speech.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

And he has proof of this? Some form of paper record? Audio recording? His story might be plausible if his own final e-mail to fellow state employees didn't contradict it... so right now all this sounds as credible as the guy who claimed that Michelle Obama gave a "hate whitey" speech.
E-mails and telephone conversations have already been turned over. She'll be front page news again in October. :laugh:

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

E-mails and telephone conversations have already been turned over. She'll be front page news again in October. :laugh:

So you've actually seen this proof? I'd hate to see you get your hopes up only to see them dashed...

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

So you've actually seen this proof? I'd hate to see you get your hopes up only to see them dashed...
I have to tell you, it's refreshing to see a GOP plant ask for proof. You guys flip 180s better than anyone.

Why is she not cooperating? Why is she trying to delay the release of the results until after the election? Doesn't sound like the actions of an innocent person.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

I have to tell you, it's refreshing to see a GOP plant ask for proof. You guys flip 180s better than anyone.

Why is she not cooperating? Why is she trying to delay the release of the results until after the election? Doesn't sound like the actions of an innocent person.

Aren't you one of those loons who thinks you should never, ever talk to the police-- no matter the circumstances--because they will use every trick in their book to get you convicted for a crime you didn't commit? Now you say that Palin should cooperate with an investigation which is lead by a guy who already pre-determined the outcome and came out and announced what the verdict will be... because that's whan an innocent person would do?

Talk about doing 180s-- you should try out for the Chinese Gymanstics team.

:laugh:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Well, I've personally heard an audio tape of a call placed by one of her top officials to a police official, where, after he asks the police official to discreetly forward him information he runs across about ongoing union negotiations, he pressures the policie official on the trooper directly talking about how Palin and her husband are 'pulling their hair out' unable to understand why more hasn't been done, and vaguely threatening embarrasment for many if she has to testify about him at a custody trial.

And I've seen her willing to lie quite enthusiastically when it will help her politically, and I've seen credible reports about her bad behavior, ans the story seems very plausible.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Why would they fire a guy who has 30+ years on the job?

Because he was part of the corrupt "good old boys" administration that had been there for 30+ years? Just guessing.

All Palin needs is the documentation on why he was fired. If that exists as she said it does, then there really isnt an issue here. He can keep guessing why he was fired, but if there was a documented reason other than that, then the whole thing doesnt have a leg to stand on.

Personally, if I were governor and there was proof of a trooper tasering his kids, and my "head trooper" DIDNT fire them, I'd probably fire his ass too. Cops dont investigate cops very well... I can see the Palin's frustration with the whole deal. However, until someone shows me an email or a phone call recording or something scratched on the back of a napkin saying "FIRE WOOTEN," then it has no legs... especially if the "head trooper's" dismissal was properly documented.

Lesson to everyone. If you are in charge of employee hiring and firing, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. It WILL save your ass someday.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005

I think there is a seperate issue also.... They need to find out if Palin's office looked at Wooten's personnel file (illegal) without any consent from anyone to get reasons to fire him. That is a big no-no and it comes with serious consequences.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
It sounds to me like the Trooper was an ass and truly did deserve to get fired... however that fact that she is hiding, and not cooperating just screams guilty. You have to wonder why.

Lets say the investigators are biased as she claims... she could just descredit thier findings as polically motivated... but to not cooperate with them??? She has to be hiding something... just forget about whether she is really guilty or not... consider the fact that this is an election, and not cooperating give the STRONG apearance of guilt. That descision could not have been made lightly.