Troopergate Reaching Critical Mass: ABC Interviews Monegan

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Originally posted by: jonks

And McCain's of course. Why is he running at all? 72 AND no executive experience?

What is your definition of executive experience?

What does it matter if you have all the experience in the world but you still make bad decisions?
Yeah Bush has 7+ years but McCain and the rest of the Republicans can't distance themselves from him and his record fast enough.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Actually McCain has executive experience from his time in the Navy.

He was the commanding officer of the Navy's largest squadron.
It may not be elected executive experience, but it is still more than Obama or Biden can claim.

I'll take intelligence and judgment over experience anytime. Obaman and Biden top either McCain or Palin.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I heard a report today that Palin has reversed her policy on Troopergate and is now trying to stall the investigation until after the election. If true, it's appalling.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

Sigh..... She never said she sold it on ebay, in her speech at the convention on Wednesday, she said she put it on ebay. It didn't sell, and thus they sold it to someone else. So yes, it was put on ebay, and it was sold. Are you having such a hard time pinning anything on her that you're really reaching out in desperation now?

So what is this I hear the AP is now claiming Palin went to 6 colleges in 6 years? Their source is a biography that itself cant verify that claim. These idiots in the MSM are going to make the avg joe tune out weeks before anything legitimate shows up. I have a feeling people will simply dimiss this as a state of alaska issue by the time it shows up. People will be sick of the constant mudslinging at her by then.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Some Republican has already called for French to be removed from that committee. By saying "It's likely to be damaging" he is pre-judging the outcome and thus is not being impartial like he is suppose to be.

Or maybe he says "it's likely to be damaging" because it is likely to be damaging? Is it possible for someone to display an opinion that is against a Republican without you claiming it is only due to partisanship? Just one?

So you're saying you don't believe it's inappropriate for someone heading an investigation to announce what the likely outcome of that investigation will before it's even done? Especially when that someone is a political opponent
of the person they are suposed to be investigating? How does that not give off the appearance of a "conflict of interest"?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: PokerGuy

Sigh..... She never said she sold it on ebay, in her speech at the convention on Wednesday, she said she put it on ebay. It didn't sell, and thus they sold it to someone else. So yes, it was put on ebay, and it was sold. Are you having such a hard time pinning anything on her that you're really reaching out in desperation now?

So what is this I hear the AP is now claiming Palin went to 6 colleges in 6 years? Their source is a biography that itself cant verify that claim. These idiots in the MSM are going to make the avg joe tune out weeks before anything legitimate shows up. I have a feeling people will simply dimiss this as a state of alaska issue by the time it shows up. People will be sick of the constant mudslinging at her by then.

ah ah ah wait a sec!

what if they phrased it using the "Fair and Balanced" approach??

example:

<phrasing the questions to some obscure political pundit> Some sources have stated that Palin went to 6 colleges in 6 years?

and then the ticker at the bottom of the screen reads:

Palin - Experienced and Professional College Student ? :D

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
From everything I've heard or read, the more that turns up the more it clears her.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
I could be wrong, but I think the troopergate may be linked to Palin's family, but I doubt the charges will stick to Sarah Palin herself. What I find disturbing is the fact that Palin's is using $95,000 of taxpayer funds to hire an attorney to defend herself from personal ethics charges. But its still links to a librarian attempted firing, book censorship, and a host of other parts of the Palin record. Its clear that the republicans are going to takes some lumps on Palin. And their spin will not match her record.

IIRc, the trooper she tried to get fired was her ex-brother-in-law, and the firing was supposed to be retribution for him divorcing her sister...(or some shit like that)

Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: jonks
This trooper sounds like a scumbag.
This isn't about the trooper; it's about Walter Monegan, her public safety commissioner.

True, but it is also about the trooper, and why she tried to force Monegan to fire him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A...Commissioner_dismissal

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi
From everything I've heard or read, the more that turns up the more it clears her.

Ah well, case closed then! If Lupi vouches for her, why are we even having an investigation?!? :laugh:

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Why does this remind me of Gonzales's politicizing of the Justice Dep't and the subsequent firing of State AG's for merely being of the "wrong" political persuasion? Damn, Palin fits right in with the Administration's constant abuses of power. I hope Sen. French's report slaps the shit out of her.

You're way off, don't know what you're talking about, and just plain stupid for typing that.

scttgrd

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
No matter the outcome I would think the republicans would want this cleared up sooner rather than later. Having this hang over till will only give fuel. I just don't see how they can help themselves, they will somehow "fix" things like they always manage to do.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Ah well, case closed then! If Lupi vouches for her, why are we even having an investigation?!? :laugh:

Yes, because that's what I said.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
This article seems kind of one-sided, but it does cite investigators' and judges' conclusions.

The writer is an ex-Alaska politician who ran against Palin for Governor in 2006

Trooper Mike Wooten: Being hunted by the governor

In the fall of 2004, Trooper Mike Wooten had decided the differences between he and his wife Molly of four years had grown to the point of being irreconcilable. His wife just happened to be the younger sister of Sarah Palin.

The beginning of the divorce proceedings set off a chain of bizarre and chilling events that has continued through today. During that time it has resulted in the governor and her family trying to ruin the career of an eight year Alaska State Trooper that has served his state on the SERT Team, Motor Unit and DUI Team.

Beginning in spring of 2005 and for the next ten months, over 25 formal complaints were filed by Palin and Heath family members against Trooper Mike Wooten. From drinking while driving his patrol car to making threats to shooting a moose without a permit.

According to Trooper records, Sarah Palin said that in January and February of 2005, Wooten was drinking while driving. After investigating the complaint, the investigator found that Palin never actually saw what she reported.

In another complaint, Sarah's father said that Wooten made threatening remarks. Again, the investigator found there was no probable way that it could have happened.

In all cases except one, the charges were ruled unfounded after an internal investigation. And the one charge that was valid, Wooten immediately admitted to.

In 2003, Wooten, his wife and a friend were moose hunting. Upon spotting a moose, Wooten instructed his wife to shoot the moose since she had the permit, she refused so Wooten did.

After carting the moose back to town, Sarah's father actually butchered it in his garage, and Wooten shared the meat with both Sarah and Todd Palin as well as her parents. Two years later, during the divorce battle, the family filed a complaint alleging that Wooten had taken that moose illegally. At least they waited until they finished the meat to file the complaint against Wooten.

But it didn't stop there. Threatening phone calls, private detectives that were hired to follow Wooten, notes left on windshields, Todd Palin taking pictures then submitting them to Wooten's supervisor, all designed to intimidate Wooten into backing off from demanding equal child custody rights.

But every time they filed a spurious complaint, the Troopers would bring in an Administrative Investigator who after seeing more than two dozen of these ridiculous and time consuming complaints stated that in all his years he had never seen such a shotgun pattern against one officer.

Meanwhile in court, Wooten prevailed at every turn as Judge Suddock quickly realized there was a concerted effort to damage Wooten. Finally the judge warned that if any of their actions caused Wooten to lose his job or pay in anyway, Molly and her family would be held liable.

After the divorce was final in late 2005 things settled down, until last fall.

At the request of the court, Wooten and his ex-wife were instructed to return to re-visit the custody schedule. Once the paper work started in April of 2008, the complaints and the intimidation started all over again.

But now Wooten wasn't dealing with just Sarah Palin, he was dealing with Governor Sarah Palin.

On April 23, 2008 in written testimony to the court, Palin denied ever making claims against Wooten, when in fact she had emailed a State Trooper Colonel in April of 2005 accusing Wooten of driving drunk.

Twice in the last few months complaints were filed by the governor's office accusing Wooten of improperly using his patrol car. Both times he was visiting his kids at school and both times he had permission from his sargent. The last complaint came in May after Todd Palin saw Wooten pulling out of the school parking lot and six days later the complaint landed on Wooten's supervisor's desk.

During the legislative session this past spring, Palin reportedly told Commissioner Monegan to fire Wooten because he was giving Troopers a bad name. However Monegan said he would do no such thing.

A short time afterwards, it was discovered that confidential material in Wooten's Administrative Investigation file had been released to his ex-wife and her attorney. This drew outrage from the Public Safety Union as well as the Commissioner. AI files are strictly confidential and can only be released with the written signature of the Trooper, but yet no one could explain how the detailed confidential information was released.

Reportedly, both Commissioner Monegan and Colonel Audie Halloway warned that if they found out the file was leaked by the governor's office, they would pursue charges.

Unfortunately, Commissioner Walt Monegan has been fired and word on the street is Colonel Audie Halloway's days are numbered as the new commissioner brings in those who won't object when the governor uses the Troopers as her own private security force.

The most tragic part of this whole story is Trooper Mike Wooten. For the last four years his children have endured inexcusable stress at the hands of the governor and her family. The same governor who has been on television telling Alaskans how important it is to love your kids and spend time with them. Truth be told, Governor Palin should watch her own television commercial.

For eight years, Trooper Mike Wooten has served the people of the State of Alaska by putting his life on the line to protect them from harm. Today the question is; who will protect Wooten from the blatant abuse of power now that the governor has free hands.

Commissioner Walt Monegan was fired because he fought for his employees, he fought for a safer Alaska and he didn't care if he had to fight Governor Palin to do it.

In the mean time, God help Trooper Mike Wooten.

All I can say is: If there's any justice, the investigation of Palin on this issue will be completed before election day.

Thread Merge

Fern
AnandTech P&N Moderator

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
Meh, I don't think anything will come of these investigations. Monegan is already on the record stating Palin never told him to fire Wooten. Emails now released show that Monegan was fired because he tried to undo spending cuts the governor had previously vetoed, by going behind her back and negotiating directly with lawmakers to put the spending back in. Also given that Monegan was appointed under the previous "corrupt" governor, that perhaps he had an ax to grind. Furthermore, he wasn't exactly fired. Palin offered him a lateral job promotion to another position as she recognized his experience as a public servant, but he declined and then came out and made these accusations.

As for trying to fire Wooten, she issued her initial complaint against him before she became governor. The fact that he used a taser on his own step-son, drank on the job, killed a moose illegally and made death threats against the governor and her family already vindicates the governor in the eyes of the public--especially considering after investigating these charges and finding the tasering, drinking and moose killing to be true he was only suspended for 5 days.

I just see the investigation as a procedural thing that turned partisan once she became the VP pick. The Democrat (who is an Obama supporter) heading the investigation talked to reporters before the investigation had been concluded that their was going to be an October surprise. I personally think this is just being stretched out to embarrass Palin. And I think that most people will see it for what it is and ignore it.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Intesting... a contemperanous account of what one of Palin's political enemies thought about the incident.

On one hand, it indicates that the notion that the firing was due to Monegan not firing Wooten is not a new one-- but on the other hand, it tries way too hard to defend a state trooper who tazed an 11-year old, drank beer in his own cruiser, and threatened to shoot the Governor's father. Also, while lending credence to the possibility Monegan was fired for sticking up for Wooten, it also lends credence to Palin's assertations that Monegan was fired for insubordination.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: QED

On one hand, it indicates that the notion that the firing was due to Monegan not firing Wooten is not a new one-- but on the other hand, it tries way too hard to defend a state trooper who tazed an 11-year old, drank beer in his own cruiser, and threatened to shoot the Governor's father. Also, while lending credence to the possibility Monegan was fired for sticking up for Wooten, it also lends credence to Palin's assertations that Monegan was fired for insubordination.

I can kinda understand how an ideologically challenged politician would attempt an article defended a trooper with what is known about him, that it would happen here is a little bit surprising.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Yes, because that's what I said.

Loopy has spoken ...

Of course, Loopy adds nothing to the discussion and does not acknowledge that beginning in spring of 2005 and for the next ten months, over 25 formal complaints were filed by Palin and family members against Trooper Mike Wooten.

In all cases except one (Moose-gate), the charges were ruled unfounded after an internal investigation.

Of course, Loopy fails to note that on April 23, 2008, in written testimony to the court, Palin denied ever making claims against Wooten.

And it seems Wooten prevailed at every turn and the judge (Suddock) realized there was a concerted effort to damage Wooten and warned that if any of their actions caused Wooten to lose his job or pay, Palin and her family would be held liable.

Of course, Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg rejected subpoenas for Palin and administration officals on the allegations that her administration pressured Monegan to fire Wooten. Gee. Sounds like a play right out of the Defense of Corrupt Republicans Playbook.

I could go on with the 1,100 emails and text messages they refuse to release, the illegal access of personal and workman's comp records, or all the phone calls, or the 5 Republicans who have intervened and filed a lawsuit on Palin's behalf ...

But I won't since Loopy has spoken ...

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Evidently Palin does have something to hide in troopergate as her own AG, in a move that might inspire GWB&co, has ruled the subpoenas issued in troopergate do not bind State employees. As the rule of law loses again to the forces of secrecy and fascism.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...7VkJI.0ThLrAsj_aLas0NU

But so far all we have from Palin is spin. Even the somewhat trivial, I put the "plane on ebay", is sort of like saying "I took a lie detector test." Translated meaning, I stole the lie detector polygraph machine lock stock and barrel.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
So now the Alaska Attorney General has made it clear that any state employess supoenaed in the troopergate investigation would refuse to honor the supoenas. Apparently the AG, Talis Colberg, appointed by Palin, has stepped up to the plate to help Palin get out of a jam. The governor questioned the validity of the supoenas so therefore no state workers will testify. Probably get fired if they did. I'm thinking that Bush might take a back seat to Palin's disregard for the law.

Article

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Quite honestly I think that troopergate has the potential to be more damaging if the truth comes out.

As long as McCains camp can keep the facts from surfacing, and keep people from testifying, they they can claim that it is all just a democrat conspiracy.

And more news articles will be printed, and more bad news can be laid at Palin's feet, but she can cling to her conspiracy story, and in the eyes of some voters that might be enough.

The Dems did themselves no favors when that Alaskan Dem Senator said something to the effect of an "october surprise"

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

If that was the case they wouldn't be stonewalling so hard. She initially welcomed the investigation and now she's refusing to cooperate. Smells fishy and it' isn't coming from the water.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: conehead433
So now the Alaska Attorney General has made it clear that any state employess supoenaed in the troopergate investigation would refuse to honor the supoenas. Apparently the AG, Talis Colberg, appointed by Palin, has stepped up to the plate to help Palin get out of a jam. The governor questioned the validity of the supoenas so therefore no state workers will testify. Probably get fired if they did. I'm thinking that Bush might take a back seat to Palin's disregard for the law.

Article

FFS how long are the people of this country going to put up with politicians abusing their positions to avoid being held accountable for their actions?

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: conehead433

Article

FFS how long are the people of this country going to put up with politicians abusing their positions to avoid being held accountable for their actions?

Based on the latest polls? 4 more years of the last 8 years =(