Trojan horse steals ICQ users' identities

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Hundreds of ICQ users have found themselves temporarily duped out of their online identities, as a new Trojan horse is making its way around the Net.

ICQ members are identified by numbers. With more than 42 million registrations, newer numbers have become quite lengthy, making the shorter numerical IDs of early ICQ adopters hot properties.

Now those shorter name tags are the targets of theft, as malicious hackers are distributing a Trojan horse that steals passwords and commandeers control of ICQ accounts.

Link

thank god i dont use icq anymore

kassy

Sep 13, 2000
Interesting, I was trying to connect to ICQ yesterday and got a 'number already in use' message, so I created another account and sent the ass using my number a message.. been connecting fine today, but my machine has been acting odd.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I've been using mine for a very long time (about 3-4 years) now... Never had problems...

To the best of my knowledge, Trojans require trickery or idiot users to work, so I am safe. ;)

But seriously.. Unless the definition of a Trojan horse virus has changed, you can not be touched unless you accept and execute a file from another user. These files are usually easy to spot to, they are either a small standalone executable with a unique icon, or the virus is embedded in a game such as "wack a mole" and others.

I've had multiple accounts on ICQ before, but that was before I learnt of how to re-register the same account on other computers or in case of emergency if something occurred. Once I started using my old account again (it'd been inactive for a period long enough for the people I used to talk to to have deleted me.. they were mostly just randomers though, nobody important), I deleted all the others I had accumulated.

It's true though, the ICQ # thing has gotten insanely long since the beginning... But nobody cares about the # anymore, most people search with unique attributes such as email addresses, complete full/last/nick name descriptions, location, interests, etc.. It really is easy to find anybody you want with ICQ ("I seek you").

-RSI

kassy

Sep 13, 2000
The timing just struck me as odd, yesterday I completed a virus scan and it was clean, except for my own personal copy of Sub7, I understand how they work, but that doesnt mean I dont fall into the 'idiot' user group :) though I have been using for approx the same ammount of time.
Today my mouse was going crazy and windows were opening and shutting, classic sub signs.
I am not an email or file bunny, but I had best scan again.

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
yep yep... I've got a 17XXXXXX (8 numbers) icq. I'm glad I got it early its cool.