Tripod that won't break a student's bank. (That can hold a 24'' slider)

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I've got a Canon T2i, a Zacuto 3.5x View Finder, a shotgun mic, and a 24'' indiSlider Deluxe. My tripod is not very stable when it comes to using the slider and I would like to get a new one that would allow me to move the camera from one end to another without it wobbling.

My slider:
http://www.indisystem.com/products/indiSLIDERmini-Deluxe.html

My thought was this Ravelli, http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-AVTP-Professional-Camera-Tripod/dp/B00139W0XM/ref=lh_ni_t the slider would fit with some of my universities equipment and the reviews seemed pretty solid. Though no mention of slider preformance and that 'wobble' effect I get with my cheap $15 tripod.

Tips and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I have that Ravelli and it is solid. I use a 36" dolly. I don't like the fluid head though. If you don't like it, scrap it and use the bowl with a better head.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Cool Fuzz, I'll definitely think about picking it up then.

I don't have any other heads except the head of a cheap $15 tripod thats 10-12 years old. I just need something that works and works decently.

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
That Ravelli looks like a good choice for the money. That kind of tripod is definitely the avenue you want to explore. I've got a similar-looking Manfrotto somewhere in storage, and it is heavy and sturdy as hell.

I agree with fuzzybabybunny, the fluid head is probably crap and you will probably want to remove it and attach your slider directly to the tripod. (Assuming that's possible... might need a small adapter if the screw sizes are different?) Your slider comes with a head anyway. Of course, using the head would let you use the slider at various angles, but you may want to look into a simpler, sturdier locking head instead of a pan head.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Could you guys recommend a simple, study head that would provide as a good substitute? I wish I knew more about this stuff :(

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004