Question Triple+ Displays for IGP

Sepidoel

Jun 26, 2022
Hello all. As IGPs now are very good I'm wondering whether there is a motherboard that supports triple or more display outputs simultaneously, either AMD or Intel one (preferably AMD though for more power efficiency).

I'm thinking Gigabyte A520I AC as it has 2 HDMI and 1 DP, but some said that it can only do 2 display outputs simultaneously.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
You can also use a dock to multiply the display outputs fairly cheap using a USB or TB connection and also gain additional ports through the dock. Then it's a matter of just installing drivers to make the monitors work.

Jul 27, 2020
You can also use a dock to multiply the display outputs fairly cheap using a USB or TB connection and also gain additional ports through the dock. Then it's a matter of just installing drivers to make the monitors work.
Great option! Suppose if we use only USB, what would the latency be like? Would all the displays be able to do 60 Hz 2K? What if all of them have to do 4K? I suppose things would slow down a bit at 4K if using more than two displays simultaneously, due to bandwidth saturation.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Do you have a link for this dock? My sister just asked me yesterday how she could run 3 monitors, and I told her I'd get back to her.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@Muadib I don't have a specific dock in mind but, most of them provide at least 2 outputs leaving the on board for the 3rd monitor to be used. This sort of things comes down to the budget as they can be anywhere from USB3 options @ ~$60 up to ~$400 for a TB model providing higher res outputs. Some use dedicated GPUs internal to the dock and others just mux the output of the GPU in the PC.

In general though mux'ing the output from the PC is relatively easy but, it's sometimes not cheap. It depends on the HW in the PC / ports available to connect to / GPU / cabling and so on.

@igor_kavinski
You can get docks that do up to 8K but as noted above it depends on several factors. The biggest constraint will be the GPU on the system as it has to be at least the same res as the desired output or higher to push the signal to the external monitor(s).

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Sepidoel

Jun 26, 2022
Thank you for the insights. Sorry for late replying.

I ended up bought a used Gigabyte A520I AC and tried it myself - with Ryzen 5 4650G and 16 GB RAM. Aparrently it could do triple display natively. Very nice. In my case two 4K and one FullHD displays.

I noticed in their website they now wrote "Support for up to 3 displays at the same time Maximum shared memory of 16 GB" - I don't remember seeing it before.