TRIM check tool

CyberShadow

Dec 9, 2012

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Interesting. Was all set to check out the source and compile it, when I noticed you used D... hmm

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Verify TRIM is enabled on your SSD
A) Click start and type in cmd and hit the enter key
B) Type in fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
- DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
- DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I get a 0, but your program says something like do what needs to be done to activate TRIM. :confused:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
This is what I get.

Trim.jpg

fsutil command says TRIM is on, but this program apparently says TRIM is off. So what is the case?

Last edited:

Brahmzy

Jul 27, 2004
All we need now is a nice GUI! This tool would rock if it truly checks out.

choliscott

Mar 11, 2010
Wait a couple of minutes after running it, as I got the same message, but a few minutes later I re-ran it & it shows that the sector was overwritten.

This is what I get.

Trim.jpg

fsutil command says TRIM is on, but this program apparently says TRIM is off. So what is the case?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Verify TRIM is enabled on your SSD
A) Click start and type in cmd and hit the enter key
B) Type in fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
- DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
- DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

except this does not verify trim is enabled on your SSD.

It checks if windows is generating trim commands at the FS level. The only possible way for it to not be is if you manually turned it off for debug purposes.
Even if you have nothing but HDDs in the system fsutil will still display 0. Even if you have an SSD that is NOT trim compatible fsutil will still display 0.

The fsutil method is thus worthless.

Last edited:

murphyc

Apr 7, 2012
Recent SSD's are essentially COW, and figure out when you overwrite a file what blocks are to be removed from use. It doesn't need TRIM.

And exception to this might be OS level full disk encryption, which converts the whole drive by rewriting all sectors (e.g. OS X). In that case as every sector is read and encrypted, it seems to me that the SSD will see every sector as being allocated. So it won't have a large supply of reserve zero'd blocks ready to go.