Tried VR for the first time today (Oculus Rift)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Tried a few different games:

Space Pirate Trainer
Archangel
SuperHot VR

I'm blown away. I thought VR was very much a hype thing, but I'm a believer. Gonna let the technology and application side develop a little more, but holy crap it's way more immersive than I ever expected.

Reactions: OCNewbie

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's only a gimmick if they don't refine the technology due to lack of interest. Considering more and more games are supporting it (FO4 VR is coming out soon), it only makes sense for developers to keep refining VR. The main issue with VR at the moment is the lack of a proper movement scheme without dumping $15,000 on some prototype treadmill.

I tried it about six months ago and it made me nauseous after about an hour.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
When is VR going to have a profound effect on game design in general, instead of just the games designed as VR exclusives?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There's a lot that has to happen before that ever will. Right now most of the stuff is just cool experiences. Although, much of the multiplayer games are just as fun and addictive as normal non VR games.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Gives me a terrible headache. It's a niche product right now. I'm not convinced wearing an uncomfortable headset and playing in isolation of anyone else in the room is the future of gaming.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Gives me a terrible headache. It's a niche product right now. I'm not convinced wearing an uncomfortable headset and playing in isolation of anyone else in the room is the future of gaming.
Isolation is user's choice. There's a few games out there that allow for multiplayer VR, but I don't think any game has adopted co-op VR just yet.

As for the time table, we won't see VR do anything decent in the next 10-15 years simply because it will still boil down to the average Joe sitting at his desk with a heavy piece of hardware strapped to his face. Not only are they uncomfortable for longer gaming sessions, the simple fact that you can't be completely mobile breaks the immersion for the most-part. The Star Trek Bridge Crew game is a great example of utilizing VR in its current state because you're just sitting down the entire time but the number of games on the market where you're sitting for the duration is extremely limited.

Maybe this will open developers to making games featuring physically handicapped protagonists. Wheel-chair FPS VR games in the very near future!

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
There's a lot that has to happen before that ever will. Right now most of the stuff is just cool experiences. Although, much of the multiplayer games are just as fun and addictive as normal non VR games.

Some of the best uses for VR IMO aren't really games either, more like experiences.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Isolation is user's choice. There's a few games out there that allow for multiplayer VR, but I don't think any game has adopted co-op VR just yet.

As for the time table, we won't see VR do anything decent in the next 10-15 years simply because it will still boil down to the average Joe sitting at his desk with a heavy piece of hardware strapped to his face. Not only are they uncomfortable for longer gaming sessions, the simple fact that you can't be completely mobile breaks the immersion for the most-part. The Star Trek Bridge Crew game is a great example of utilizing VR in its current state because you're just sitting down the entire time but the number of games on the market where you're sitting for the duration is extremely limited.

Maybe this will open developers to making games featuring physically handicapped protagonists. Wheel-chair FPS VR games in the very near future!

That's what I keep wondering about if I were to get a headset, is it immersion breaking to have to move with your keyboard or controller just as if you were looking at a monitor? But except for games where you drive a vehicle I really can't see any other way around that.

One thing I'm hoping for is that when VR finally really really takes off, and becomes about as standard as having a monitor, that it will reduce the tendency of some shooter games to be polluted by being third person view. Like EA has done with Battlefront, like any WH40k games tend to be (although I kind of get it with WH40k and the melee but still).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Peoples opinions of immersion differ. You really can't blanket statement it across every scenario. Everything is immersive in its own way. There are lots of things that 'remind' you that you aren't really there like having to walk around the cable, but after awhile that becomes second nature and you don't even realize you are doing it, and there are times you will completely forget where you are and do things such as fall over trying to lean on a desk, or punch expensive tvs while you are tossing grenades.

Most of the people who complain about SDE for example and all the 'immersion breaking' complaints are not actually users of VR. They are just trying it out for a few minutes to a few hours and saying 'here's my issues' and this sucks. People who actually take the time to USE VR get passed all these things because your mind gets used to it and works around it to where much of it isn't even noticeable and you do get lost in the world you are in. Sure there are some things that are done better than others, but that is true with any technology.

After a year of using both the Vive and the Rift my biggest complaints remain:

1. Godrays on the Rift...absolutely horrible.
2. Lots of full body movement in room scale always makes both headsets lose center focus so things get blurry and I have to adjust them...this is annoying.
3. Oculus Rift software in general is highly annoying and console like and the need for multiple cameras to do room scale is very cumbersome and buggy when Vives solution is so much better
4. After time of using Vive, the cord gets curled up and breakout box moves toward me and then I step on it and unplug stuff -- I assume at some point I will crush it with my feet.
5. Both headsets make my face sweat - especially doing any active things like Rec Room/Onward. This isn't good because it limits the amount of time you can 'safely' use the headsets. Lots of reports of sweat causing ruined/nonworking headsets out there.

None of these are 'normal' complaints you get from people who only messed with VR for a few hours. (except Godrays, but those seem to vary Rift to Rift - and what you are doing makes a big difference as well).

Sure reading text can be a pain -- but that is normal PC text..not made for VR text...big difference.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Well there is this 4 person VR experience opening up in a week:

https://www.thevoid.com/dimensions/starwars/secretsoftheempire/

I will get to try it out in a few weeks. Am super excited.

CropDuster

Jan 2, 2014
IL-2 Sturmovik in VR is one of the most epic gaming experiences ever in my 20+ years of simming. That said, outside of simulations I don't know how practical VR will ever be, but I hope it at least survives there and further develops since it's a niche that already has folks spending hundreds on other peripherals.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There is so much more it can do. The Valve demos alone just scratch the surface of what is possible in everything from education/training to actual work to yes gaming. I seriously think actual gaming will be the least of it all. Game companies are pretty narrow minded in ideas for VR.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Only tried so far on the Gear VR with a S8. Picked it up for $40 new craigslist to try out. Cool but I don't think it's at a point where I'm willing to drop $300-500 on the PC based ones yet. I hear those provide a better experience (refresh rate, wider FOV, higher graphics capability). Whats still amazing on the phone ones is that movement you see can actually trick you body into thinking you're experiencing that motion. Example, on this roller coast game when the cart started moving forward I felt like the floor was moving beneath me and giving me the sensation that if I didn't brace myself I would fall back. Same thing when the cart slowed to stop. However since the rollercoaster wasn't going very fast I didn't really get the sensation of speed and weightlessness on drops. I do feel that on rc videos but I can only stomach it for a minute or two.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Gear VR is not even comparable..unfortunately. It's nice if that's all you can afford...but it just isn't comparable.

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
I'm hoping the Pimax 8K turns out to be awesome. Planning to maybe use it with Assetto Corsa and other sims.

I tried the Samsung Gear. Not impressed at all. I certainly hope Oculus, Vive and Pimax is a huge step up from that.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
When is VR going to have a profound effect on game design in general, instead of just the games designed as VR exclusives?
Not until the hardware is much more mainstream. There are AAA games coming with VR support but it'll be similar to the whole 3D fad of last decade.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I currently have an HTC Vive, and there are two things that I'd like to see in whatever VR set I get next. The first is that I'd like to get higher resolution. VR is pretty nifty and immersive even right now; however, text can be rather awkward to read... especially with the Vive's sweet spot problem. (The sweet spot is that text is pretty much only readable at the center.) The second might be one the most important of the two, and that's a good wireless implementation. Unfortunately, graphic intensive games will still require processing outside of the headset, which means we need some way to get rid of the cables. Some companies went with backpack units, but at best, they last around 2 hours per battery. We've seen a wireless entry from TPCast, but it's not exactly the most elegant solution nor is it without issues (both hardware and software). There's another company that created wireless VR tech based upon their wireless docking station technology, but they're looking to license it rather than create their own.

All in all, the PIMAX 8K likely checks off the first box as I've heard plenty good about its screen. The only problem is that while they've talked about a wireless solution, we have no idea what it is, how well it works, or how much it will cost. I'd really like to wait until I hear about enough in both areas before I invest again.

Reactions: WiseUp216

pj-

May 5, 2015
I currently have an HTC Vive, and there are two things that I'd like to see in whatever VR set I get next. The first is that I'd like to get higher resolution. VR is pretty nifty and immersive even right now; however, text can be rather awkward to read... especially with the Vive's sweet spot problem. (The sweet spot is that text is pretty much only readable at the center.) The second might be one the most important of the two, and that's a good wireless implementation. Unfortunately, graphic intensive games will still require processing outside of the headset, which means we need some way to get rid of the cables. Some companies went with backpack units, but at best, they last around 2 hours per battery. We've seen a wireless entry from TPCast, but it's not exactly the most elegant solution nor is it without issues (both hardware and software). There's another company that created wireless VR tech based upon their wireless docking station technology, but they're looking to license it rather than create their own.

All in all, the PIMAX 8K likely checks off the first box as I've heard plenty good about its screen. The only problem is that while they've talked about a wireless solution, we have no idea what it is, how well it works, or how much it will cost. I'd really like to wait until I hear about enough in both areas before I invest again.

I've had a tpcast for a few days now and it's been perfectly fine. It's very inelegant but I think if you've done something on the level of assembling a PC, setting up and troubleshooting any potential problems with a tpcast is easily doable. Mine worked the first time and has worked every time since. No issues with tracking or image quality.

The only hardware issue in my experience is the noise that the transmitter makes. It's not noticeable while playing but it would be annoying for anyone else in the area. The software lacks support for the microphone, but there is a workaround for that, plus it's possible that tpcast will fix it themselves at some point in the future.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Gear VR is not even comparable..unfortunately. It's nice if that's all you can afford...but it just isn't comparable.

I can afford it and have a rig that's capable but having never tried these PC based sets I just don't know if the difference is worth it. I see SDE is a common complaint and it's noticeable on the gear vr too. But I do notice it goes away as you become more engage in the game or application. Also it looks like higher res units are just around the corner so I don't know if it's wise to pick one up at this time. I guess I'll wait and see how much the new ones are before making the jump.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Microsoft store has major discounts today, $200 isn't a bad price for the lenovo explorer, includes motioncontrollers.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I keep thinking how great wireless would be....and then I think about how beat up my controllers and household items would be...

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Questions

How do you watch your own content (downloaded 2D/3D movies) or play a vr compatible game that isn't tied to steam or the oculus store? Is it just similar to the Gear VR where it installs the main software and then you just install apps within the main software?

Also my laptop will absolutely not meet the requirements for games but can I still use it for movies and videos?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
in either case you have to be running at least one or the other 'storefronts' and then just launch your outside app.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm hoping the Pimax 8K turns out to be awesome. Planning to maybe use it with Assetto Corsa and other sims.

The Pimax 8k(the real 8k one not the 4k they are calling 8k) is a joke IMO. just a cash grab that will never materialize. Look at the specs and do the math on the bandwidth required to push the resolution they are aiming for, and you will quickly realize that at over 3 feet copper is not going to cut it. They need to go to fiber to get to the 6 or 10 foot cable length that VR systems require. And a 10 foot fiber cable is going to cost you around 600-1000 just for a single cable. There are reasons people that have used the prototype are having connection issues/dropouts with the headsets, and that reason is the copper cables cant sustain the needed bandwidth at the lengths needed.

Pimax is going to have to either buck up the 1k for fiber cables or cut back the res or run 2-3 cables for video.

Until fiber prices come down considerably we are going to be stuck at 4k or less per eye for VR, or high res VR systems are going to go up into the 1.5-3k price range, this is the unfortunate reality of the situation.

On the bright side maybe VR will drive fiber prices down if there is enough demand for high res VR and in a few years true 8k per eye VR will come down in price.

sure wireless could be an option, but visual quality will then suffer, if 6 feet of copper cant sustain the bandwidth no wireless solution that exists will be able to carry the bandwidth either without alot of compression which will degrade visual quality.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've had a tpcast for a few days now and it's been perfectly fine. It's very inelegant but I think if you've done something on the level of assembling a PC, setting up and troubleshooting any potential problems with a tpcast is easily doable. Mine worked the first time and has worked every time since. No issues with tracking or image quality.

The only hardware issue in my experience is the noise that the transmitter makes. It's not noticeable while playing but it would be annoying for anyone else in the area. The software lacks support for the microphone, but there is a workaround for that, plus it's possible that tpcast will fix it themselves at some point in the future.

You know what's amusing? After writing that post, I convinced myself to buy the TPCast simply because my love for technology couldn't hold out anymore. :p I do know about OpenTPCast, and due to that, I also purchased an SDHC card to install the OpenTPCast software. (I'll just leave the original card in the box in case I need it.) I also went through and bought a different router from the tested router replacement list. I might also test out a spare router that I have to see if it works, which means I can return the new one. OpenTPCast does support the mic, so we're good there. Unfortunately, it doesn't support the webcam just yet.

I actually forgot about the noisy transmitter, which might have changed my mind. I do really, really hate noisy things. If that's the case, do you usually turn off the unit when you're not using it, or does it not make noise unless it's transmitting?