Tried Nvidia once, formatted, everything is good now

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
My diplay driver, nvlddmkm, just failed and successfully recovered after searching the web. I don't understand these extremely rare crashes. I'm updating to 186.18.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Okay, I lost my control panel. Moving back to 182.08. I think I'm going to format to Windows 7.

Edit: Downgraded to 182.08 and so far so good.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Schmide

I remember the xp lag in ut2004, the thing had like the slowest dynamic light creation.
Yeah, and some of nVidia apologists at nZone were trying to say it was the game?s fault because it used T&L instead of shaders. I guess now they expect any non-DX10 game to fail because it uses DX9. LMAO.

Ah well, they were all proven wrong, and thankfully the game runs fine now.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I formatted Vista with Windows 7 and 186.18 works great where as before I couldn't get the Control Panel to work. Now I have no brand preference and will get whatever is faster at my selected price point. :)

psynce

Mar 2, 2009
this has recently been happening to me as well.
this is what i have concluded:
if you are doing a FRESH install of nvidia drivers on a windows 7 install (RTM and previous builds), there is no issue and everything works great.
however, if you are upgrading your driver, it will simply not work, and many times, youll get the dreaded bsod in the process.
the driver that works will be the version that was originally installed. for those who get a bsod, the solution is to system recover to the date before the upgraded install.
hope this helps. this took me hours to figure out.