Tried downloading my first Win 8 app: Pinball Fx2. Did not go well

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Evander, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Evander

Evander Golden Member

1) go to MS store, look at free apps
    2) find pinball game & installed
    3) need password for MS account to download. Apparently I forgot, so had to reset pw
    4) click the link in reset email & entered new password. Told me I can't use this new password b/c it was the same as my old password (the same one I repeatedly tried to enter in step 3. Why didn't it work then?)
    5) went back to store, entered password to download game
    6) after installing, went to see if it was under the "Games" tile in Win 8 Start screen. It wasn't
    7) Scrolled to the far right and found Pinball FX2 tile and clicked
    8) Go to game start screen, am told I need to first sign in and accept new terms of agreement for xbox live (I haven't used Xbox Live ~ GFWL, which I'm not sure if they're the same thing since I have no Xbox 360, in several months).
    9) exited app, went back to Games tile on Start screen, signed in and accepted TOA
    10) Went back to game. Am told I need to sign in so I do
    11) Select pinball table to play
    12) Black flashing screen with pause/play buttons sort of visible on top
    13) Figured my 2007 laptop isn't up to task, so uninstalled
    14) Go back to Store to see if sys reqs were listed. They weren't as far as I could tell
    15) There is a "Play" button under Pinball FX2 in the store, making me wonder if it actually uninstalled
    16) I looked at another game in the store I never installed and it also has a "Play" button instead of "Install" button, so I assume that is normal behavior
    17) Wondered why it has to be such as hassle just to play a simple game of pinball

I'm posting this under OS instead of PC Gaming b/c I'm guessing it works somewhat similar to this for other Win 8 apps besides games, and I'm pinning this experience on Windows 8 as the MS Store is built into the OS and is supposed to be your "go to" place for buying/downloading/installing new stuff.

2. bbhaag

bbhaag Platinum Member

nvm

#2 bbhaag, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. bbhaag

bbhaag Platinum Member

weird double post sorry

4. fr

fr Diamond Member

I had a similar sign in problem with Windows Phone 8. I could login fine on my desktop, but it kept saying wrong password on the phone. I tried like 10 times on the phone and failed, but it worked fine every try on the desktop. I just left it and it worked the next day. It is also does not seem possible in the phone marketplace to see what apps you have installed without searching for the particular app and seeing if there is an "Install" button.

5. colonelciller

colonelciller Senior member

Expect more of this!

M$ft seeks dictatorial control over:

• what you have on your Metro Machine
    • how it is used

/enjoy

6. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

What little good news there is, is that most of that is one-time stuff (logging in, EULA, etc). Future apps will be much easier to install, especially now that you know what you're doing.

Though I can't imagine why Pinball FX wouldn't work; graphically speaking it's not that complex.

Microsoft with a dollar sign? Really? :| This is a technical forum, I would hope we could hold ourselves to higher regard.