Tribes: Ascend.... Any way to be competitive without paying to win?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I'm liking the game so far... but looking at how much XP/gold everything costs in the game, there's just no way I can keep up with the people that are spending $50. I don't mind spending $50 on a game that gives me everything, but it costs like $20-$30 to set up a single class, then if I get bored and want to play another class, I need to cough up another $20-30 to set up another class. Uhg!

So... is there any way to actually be competitive with the "stock" setups? No extras, just the basic crap gear you get when you sign up and download the game. Is there any kind of skill or strategy that benefits these stock setups?

ApexBoost

May 5, 2011
Any specific class you're looking to play, what game types? I haven't spent a dime on the game and manage to be in the top 3 most games with just upgraded armor and upgrades to the spinfusors with the Pathfinder and Soldier.

The biggest skill that will help with these setups is just playing the game and learning to read the enemies paths, predict where they'll be and lead your shots.

I think they still offer some free gold if you like their facebook page and if you make any kind of purchase from them I think you get a lifetime +50% XP bonus as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Most of the wide are side grades that make the class play different and are not straight upgrades of their weapons (a couple are but most are not). You don't need everything for a class to be competitive, the base kits for most the classes are pretty good and only need a few things to really fulfill their rolls completely.

As for the straight stock classes, solider and jugg and are very good as is.

Capt.OBViOUS

Jul 13, 2012
I played the original tribes before the tribes ascend.i liked the graphics but didnt like the game at all,they are all free to play but in reality theyre paytowin:D
One game which doesnt need to buy any $ would be war inc battlezone,where you can buy new weopons with experience points and GC,which you can get by logging in daily.I like the weopons and the customisation.the size is only 1 gb.here's it
http://signup.thewarinc.com/?id=A1t25p7

Capt.OBViOUS

Jul 13, 2012
I played the original tribes before the tribes ascend.i liked the graphics but didnt like the game at all,they are all free to play but in reality theyre paytowin:D
One game which doesnt need to buy any $ would be war inc battlezone,where you can buy new weopons with experience points and GC,which you can get by logging in daily.I like the weopons and the customisation.the size is only 1 gb.here's it
http://signup.thewarinc.com/?id=A1t25p7

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
The Juggernaut works fine as it is, as long as you play their role. You will likely be bombarding the enemy flag stand with the Juggs mortar from long range most of the time, and doing your best to avoid being directly engaged by defenders. If you end up dying, you can ski to a new camping spot and start the bombardment again. As long as you are destroying flag defenses and distracting the enemy flag defenders, your doing your job well.

zoic

Nov 10, 2009
As already said, you don't need to unlock "everything" for a class for it to work. Most of the weapons are just different and not ultimately better.

Also you can test out all the weapons and equipment in training before you buy it and find out you don't like it.

The starter pack is great, you get alot of bang for the price. VIP-status helps you unlock the rest of the classes faster.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Honestly I would try for the Planetside 2 beta if you feel ineffective in Tribes. It's a lot more fun.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
A few tips:

The perks are universal, so perks you unlock can be used for all of your unlocked classes. This means you can unlock perks without feeling like they will be useless if you switch classes. Good for when starting out without much XP to go around.

You get 1200 XP for your first win of the day, this means being on the winning team in team games, you don't need to be number one on the scoreboard to get it.

Lastly, you earn XP for time played whether or not you are doing well personally; you can earn extra for doing well and earning medals, but time played is typically most important.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
play on defense. once you get enough credits for the tank, you can go nuts. if you go on offense, take out their support structures. You don't have to go on on one against someone to help your team out.