Trial managers can ask Roberts to call witnesses. The Reps certainly won't but will the Dems?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will they do it?

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

The d00d

Jan 26, 2020
Having Roberts call witnesses makes it too much of a wild card for the GOP. McConnell wants to keep it where there are no surprises.

I think Dems should let it happen if given the chance. The more things that come out that explains the narrative is better for Dems. A lockdown trial better for GOP.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
The premise is incorrect. A vote was taken to allow witnesses in the Clinton trial. Per the rules, a simple majority of Senators can overrule the person presiding. Roberts will likely put the question to the body w/o ruling at all.
Even if Roberts Rules to have witnesses, the Senate can over rule anything Roberts does with a majority vote. Of course, that may not be a good move for the Senate to do.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
If all R senators turn on Trump all at once and he gets impeached...they really shouldn't be scared for their political futures should they? I mean who else are their constituents gonna vote for? A durty librul?! :D

I know...wishful thinking.

Reactions: Pohemi and dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If all R senators turn on Trump all at once and he gets impeached...they really shouldn't be scared for their political futures should they? I mean who else are their constituents gonna vote for? A durty librul?! :D

The problem is they want to maintain power as a party. All the calculus is going into how many seats will they lose if they support Trump vs. how many seats will they lose if they turn on him. I think the prediction is that turning on him will literally split the Republican party into two factions and 2020 will be an absolute bloodbath for Republicans, whereas if they support him, yeah they still get killed by independents but at least their party isn't on fire. So the fear isn't that Trump supporters will suddenly vote liberal, but that they just won't vote Republican for a while as punishment. Personally I think they are underestimating the ability of conservatives to rationalize all that away by November and jump in line behind the next guy, whoever it may be.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Personally I think they are underestimating the ability of conservatives to rationalize all that away by November and jump in line behind the next guy, whoever it may be.
Exactly...no matter who the Repub is they will vote for him/her anyway. It's not like they can do worse than they've already done lol

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The problem is they want to maintain power as a party. All the calculus is going into how many seats will they lose if they support Trump vs. how many seats will they lose if they turn on him. I think the prediction is that turning on him will literally split the Republican party into two factions and 2020 will be an absolute bloodbath for Republicans, whereas if they support him, yeah they still get killed by independents but at least their party isn't on fire. So the fear isn't that Trump supporters will suddenly vote liberal, but that they just won't vote Republican for a while as punishment. Personally I think they are underestimating the ability of conservatives to rationalize all that away by November and jump in line behind the next guy, whoever it may be.

It's worse than that because Trump owns the primary voting base of the GOP. It's actually a revolt against their own lying leadership. If they can't win the primary then they can't win the general, other than in rare circumstances like Murkowski. They created the mindset that made Trump possible. I hope he destroys the lying manipulative bastards, one way or another.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

they run the legitimate chance of being primaried by even batshittier, woefully unqualified, brainless and unemployable Trump zealots that have decided that moving from a position of part-time racist crossing guard to elected federal legislature is a reasonable career pivot.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Any senator that refuses to hear from Bolton, or any other witnesses - He or she is an accomplice in a coverup

Reactions: Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
If the house pulled their inherent contempt lever they could have the Sgt at Arms of the House and a security detail march over to the executive branch and arrest someone. That person would either spend a long time in the house jail or protect themselves with their own security detail. That would force a real constitutional crisis and the courts would be forced into an express decision. Remember the SC rendered an express decision in Bush V Gore to beat the certification deadline of the electoral college.

I do want to have the Sargent at Arms dispatched.
I know he is to use his gavel/maul thing as representative of his position.
I think there is some special overcoat he is to wear.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I do want to have the Sargent at Arms dispatched.
I know he is to use his gavel/maul thing as representative of his position.
I think there is some special overcoat he is to wear.
A good swing at Giuliani with the mace would be most excellent gif loop. Add a groin shot with the pointy end to Stephen Miller would be better. Even if Miller has nothing to do with Ukraine, still a worthy endeavor.

Feb 4, 2009
A good swing at Giuliani with the mace would be most excellent gif loop. Add a groin shot with the pointy end to Stephen Miller would be better. Even if Miller has nothing to do with Ukraine, still a worthy endeavor.

I think the current Sargent as Arms is an old fart knocker.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Any senator that refuses to hear from Bolton, or any other witnesses - He or she is an accomplice in a coverup

It's what the GOP base wants. They love Trump in a truly irrational way & they want to keep him. Maybe it's just for the delicious libruhl tears. Fuck your feelings. Fuck anybody not them. Hail Trump. He is The One!

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Does Bolton have receipts? Because if he doesn't anything he says/wrote will just be characterized as hearsay/incorrect.