Tri-Slot 4870X2

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Check out this monster :Q: tri-slot Palit Radeon HD4870X2

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Edit: The sad part is that in my case, if I upgrade to this thing, I'll actually be using fewer slots :p.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Are there other 4870X2 cards that are dual 1GB cards? I imagine this would probably do better than a regular 4870X2 at 2560 with AA and stuff.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
All of the 4870X2 cards are dual 1Gb I think, I know mine is and I bought it right when they came out.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
For some reason I was under the impression that most 4870X2s were dual 512MB cards.

cyphilis

May 7, 2008
I thought with all new technology things were supposed to keep getting smaller. Whats with this monster?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: dguy6789
For some reason I was under the impression that most 4870X2s were dual 512MB cards.

They would have sucked big time with only 512 mb of frame buffer.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: error8
Originally posted by: dguy6789

They would have sucked big time with only 512 mb of frame buffer.

Indeed. I must have suffered from temporary blindness whenever I looked at 4870X2 cards for sale.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Eh, I think this looks like a good card.

When you've got two GPUs already, who cares if three slots are obscured? I like the concept of offering better cooling on hot cards.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't like the idea of recirculating THAT much hot air inside the case. One of those things has really got to raise underhood temps since none of it is being directed outside the case. I think I'd rather stick with the stock cooler instead. I shudder to think of the heat of pair of them would dump in your case.

Is it even possible to run a pair of them in Crossfire? I'm not sure there's a motherboard out there that leaves enough room between the high-speed PCI-E slots for the cooler and also leaves enough room between the bottommost high-speed PCI-E slot and the floor of your case.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Creig
I don't like the idea of recirculating THAT much hot air inside the case. One of those things has really got to raise underhood temps since none of it is being directed outside the case. I think I'd rather stick with the stock cooler instead. I shudder to think of the heat of pair of them would dump in your case.

Is it even possible to run a pair of them in Crossfire? I'm not sure there's a motherboard out there that leaves enough room between the high-speed PCI-E slots for the cooler and also leaves enough room between the bottommost high-speed PCI-E slot and the floor of your case.
I think at the bare minimum, the motherboard would need right-angle SATA connectors instead of straight connectors, or you'll lose most if not all of your SATA ports.

I think you can fit the two cards physically on something like the DFI LP X48, for example, but the first card is going to be sucking in hot air off the back of the second card.

Isn't this what watercooling is for, in any case?

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008
Originally posted by: Creig

you can always do that outside the case on a bench, not practical but if you are desperate .

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug
goddamn coolers are getting out of hand these days.

Apparently manufacturers can't win.

Too little cooler (4850, 8800GT) and consumers complain. Too much cooler (Frog of Death 4870X2 and consumers complain.

Presumably it does a better job if they went to the expense, whats not to like?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nRollo
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug
goddamn coolers are getting out of hand these days.

Apparently manufacturers can't win.

Too little cooler (4850, 8800GT) and consumers complain. Too much cooler (Frog of Death 4870X2 and consumers complain.

Presumably it does a better job if they went to the expense, whats not to like?
If they stopped making GPUs that dumped heat in to a case, I think their complaints would stop. When GPUs use more power than high-end CPUs (who tend to have their own dedicated air channel) it's time to stop dumping heat in to the case. Alternatively they can just cut back on the insane power usage, although I doubt people would be willing to give up the performance.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Cutting back the power consumption doesn't look like a priority to any of the parties involved...

I wouldn't be opposed to putting something like a squashed and stretched TRUE with push/pull fans on a video card. The idea would be to have the airflow go from front to back and out the PCI slots, instead of using duct blowers that are put on current stock heatsinks or fans that blow from bottom to top like the ones I put on my AC S1.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ViRGE
If they stopped making GPUs that dumped heat in to a case, I think their complaints would stop. When GPUs use more power than high-end CPUs (who tend to have their own dedicated air channel) it's time to stop dumping heat in to the case. Alternatively they can just cut back on the insane power usage, although I doubt people would be willing to give up the performance.

QFT. I really wish coolers would dump hot air outside the case. My current 8800GT has a non-reference cooler but it dumps heat inside the case...so after a while temps are pretty high anyway, lessening the advantage of the non-reference cooler.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
That is one sick card. I'm going downstairs to check; I don't think that would fit inside my case! Palit's an aggressive ATI reseller. But the heat issue can't be ignored.