Tree irrigation planning

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Some weather data if you want it: https://weatherspark.com/y/1569/Average-Weather-in-Kennewick-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

In about six weeks, landscaping work will start. The main result is new sod for almost everywhere, but we're also permanently removing the sod within the blue outlines plus the two trees will be replaced with dogwoods.

The question is how to irrigate the trees. Of the four contractors that bid, two recommended drip systems, and the other two recommended standard irrigation heads that are aimed and adjusted to limit overspray.

What would you do here and why?

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 27

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
if the trees are getting water from the grass sprinklers, you should be ok if you are watering deeply, if you water for short periods then you may want to drip them. for trees, I like to run a ring of the "soaker hose" about 1/2 the drip diameter with each end connected with whatever gpm emitters you need for the tree size and time with the rest of the system. you can also just put as many 1 gpm drippers around it as you need to get to your gpm requirement.

you do live in a dry place, damn. we are dry as well, and have similar climates.

i only drip my fruit trees, the rest get watered with the lawn. we are finally getting a full sprinkler system this year. right now, i just have automated in our garden, which is about 3000 sq feet.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Some weather data if you want it: https://weatherspark.com/y/1569/Average-Weather-in-Kennewick-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

In about six weeks, landscaping work will start. The main result is new sod for almost everywhere, but we're also permanently removing the sod within the blue outlines plus the two trees will be replaced with dogwoods.

The question is how to irrigate the trees. Of the four contractors that bid, two recommended drip systems, and the other two recommended standard irrigation heads that are aimed and adjusted to limit overspray.

What would you do here and why?

Kennewick? LOL...I worked at Hanford in the 70's...helped build the I-84 freeway from Benton City past Grandview... <sigh> gettin old.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
Fucking hell, the Tri-Cities area is sage brush country. I'd drip line all the trees and shrubs, have them on their own separate zone/zones, and let the lawn go dormant during the summer. Go with the installer who understands that water is a valuable resource.

Less sod, more natives is what I recommend.

Reactions: bbhaag

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Fucking hell, the Tri-Cities area is sage brush country. I'd drip line all the trees and shrubs, have them on their own separate zone/zones, and let the lawn go dormant during the summer. Go with the installer who understands that water is a valuable resource.

Less sod, more natives is what I recommend.

We've reduced the amount of sod by about 25% since 2006. This job will remove another 10% or so. So much better than before.