Treating cancer with radioactive scorpion venom.

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Treating cancer with radioactive scorpion venom -Link-
July 12, 2006 9:07 AM PDT

Radioactive venom from an Israeli scorpion species might not be the first thing one would think of to treat a form of brain cancer called glioma. A company called TransMolecular that's pushing the idea, though, announced "favorable safety results" from a second-phase trial of such a substance (click for PDF).

The substance, called 131I-TM-601, is actually a synthetic version of a chemical in the scorpion venom. It's coupled with a radioactive isotope of iodine with an atomic weight of 131. The 131I-TM-601 binds with receptors in the cancer cells but leaves healthy cells alone, TransMolecular said. Then the radioactive decay of the iodine in close proximity to the tumor cells kills them.

The approach is similar to a treatment for thyroid cancer; the thyroid gland has an affinity for iodine, so injections of radioactive iodine-131 are concentrated at the cancer site. The Food and Drug Administration approved investigations of 131I-TM-601 in 2002.

That sounds great and all, but what I want to know is who came up with the idea to try scorpion venom. :confused:

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
:music: ScorpionMan
ScorpionMan
Does whatever a scorpion can
Stabs a victim, any size,
Fills him full of poison just like flies
Look Out!
Here comes the ScorpionMan. :music:

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: DaShen
It has been known for a while now. Even got on public television

Really? Well, I haven't heard a thing about it until now. I guess I just need to start watching TV again...nah. ;)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
:music: ScorpionMan
ScorpionMan
Does whatever a scorpion can
Stabs a victim, any size,
Fills him full of poison just like flies
Look Out!
Here comes the ScorpionMan. :music:

Damn you! Beat me to it!