Traveling with water cooling...

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Hey guys,

I decided to go with water cooling on my desktop system that I built a few months back, and absolutely love it. However, in a few weeks, I will be moving from Pennsylvania to Maryland for the summer. The entire trip takes about 3 hours by car, but I am a little worried about traveling with my computer. Draining the reservoir is easy, but the small chance of the liquid spilling doesn't concern me. Rather, I am concerned that the shear weight of some of my water blocks, specifically the Danger Den 7800 series blocks on my video card, may cause problems like bending of the PCB or shearing.

Are my worries unfounded? Thanks.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
The full card VC blocks are extremely heavy - you would probably want to remove them before traveling.

TrevorRC

Jan 8, 2006
You should be fine, but in the name of safety....

I'd agree with A5.

OR you can...
Remove the cards, and lay them in them inside the case with padding [if room is availible.]

Easiest thing to do would be to do the above; but disconnecting the hose clamps isn't out of the question...

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Yeah, I was really just trying to avoid removing any of the hose clamps; however, I think I will just remove the video card to be safe. It is the only card that I am worried about. Thanks for the suggestions... it's good to know that I wasn't worrying about nothing :)

TrevorRC

Jan 8, 2006
Nope ;) Though I would question what pump you're using, as the full-coverage blocks are assez restrictive :p

And THAT would be something worry about.

Heh.

Let us know how it goes.
--Trevor

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: TrevorRC
Nope ;) Though I would question what pump you're using, as the full-coverage blocks are assez restrictive :p

There are at least a few full-cover blocks, Trevor. Surely you aren't saying that they're all extremely restrictive, because not all are.

OP: I'd suggest draining your coolant as a precaution. As far as you video card, I wouldn't sweat it too much. As long as you secure your case, so it won't slide around, you should be fine. Remember also that you're tubing will act a keep your card in place to a high degree. As long as you aren't a repressed stunt driver your baby should travel well. :)