• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Traveling with PC on airline worries: Going to Gefore LAN 4.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
3,944
0
71
I've been thinking about heading over to this Geforce LAN 4 lan place ever since Geforce annouced the first one. I've been debating wether or not its even worth the airline trip + travel + hotel + other expenses. Before I make my decision however, I was wondering:

If I BYOC (Bring my own PC), what would you recommend I do to protect it in baggage claim so I don't have a broken PC when I arrive all the way across the country. The PC is in a mid-tower, and I'm in for a long trip from Milwaukee to San Francisco.

I mean I do have a large suitcase, but I mean cmon, the PC still will be thrown around and whatnot. Not to mention that's all I'm bringing is the case.
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
0
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
I've been thinking about heading over to this Geforce LAN 4 lan place ever since Geforce annouced the first one. I've been debating wether or not its even worth the airline trip + travel + hotel + other expenses. Before I make my decision however, I was wondering:

If I BYOC (Bring my own PC), what would you recommend I do to protect it in baggage claim so I don't have a broken PC when I arrive all the way across the country. The PC is in a mid-tower, and I'm in for a long trip from Milwaukee to San Francisco.

I mean I do have a large suitcase, but I mean cmon, the PC still will be thrown around and whatnot. Not to mention that's all I'm bringing is the case.
get extra insurance
-i just carried mine with me as 'carry on' :p
 

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
3,944
0
71
I'd carry it as a 'carry on' but my mid-sized case will not fit in that little box that says "if it doesn't fit in here, you have to check it". If and when I check it, what sort of packaging would you recommend? I mean, I've only got a HUGE suitcase, and the case would fit in there + probably another case or two. I might need a smaller container for the PC. Any ideas what I could use?
 

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
10,578
0
71
Take out the cpu/heatsink and package that up good and bring it with you. Ship the rest to the hotel.
 

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
21,143
398
126
Originally posted by: Curly
Take out the cpu/heatsink and package that up good and bring it with you. Ship the rest to the hotel.
Plus HDD and vid card as it may be heavy and get damaged.
 

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
13,540
16
0
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Originally posted by: homercles337
I would ship it to the hotel youre staying at.
This is probably the best way. I've seen how they throw suitcases around while loading/unloading planes.
While UPS handles everything with such tender loving care. I'm sure those boot prints on the last UPS package I got were placed on there gently.
 

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
2,175
1
0
If your suit case is a hard shell type , you could also pack the case inside, surrounded by Tshirts, underwear, socks, etc. Pack the fragile parts in the carry on ...
 

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
3,913
0
71
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Originally posted by: RandomFool
Originally posted by: homercles337
I would ship it to the hotel youre staying at.
This is probably the best way. I've seen how they throw suitcases around while loading/unloading planes.
While UPS handles everything with such tender loving care. I'm sure those boot prints on the last UPS package I got were placed on there gently.
Aye, but at least UPS will pay for damage if it breaks. Airlines usually state they are in no way responsible for damage or theft of items. UPS does really suck but FedEx ain't so bad at least where I live.
 

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
3,944
0
71
Hmm, well I've shipped an empty case cross country once and it cost nearly $50 to ship. What if... hmm, I have a backpack... I could take the components out of the case, put each component in a static free bag, and the static free bag inside of a shirt and/or pair of pants, put the parts inside my bag and just bring the PC to the LAN center without a case? While using the styrofoam pad that came with the mobo as the support piece for it to sit on?

Would that work? Would security allow me to do this?
 

jjj807

Senior member
Jun 20, 2004
395
0
71
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Hmm, well I've shipped an empty case cross country once and it cost nearly $50 to ship. What if... hmm, I have a backpack... I could take the components out of the case, put each component in a static free bag, and the static free bag inside of a shirt and/or pair of pants, put the parts inside my bag and just bring the PC to the LAN center without a case? While using the styrofoam pad that came with the mobo as the support piece for it to sit on?

Would that work? Would security allow me to do this?
Absolutely not, i've seen people arrested for videocards in there pockets, looking like a bomb. the TSA is very strict about electronic devices, especially open parts like CPUs and and electrics. But then again, I'm from NYC, might be different where you are. GL
 

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
2,175
1
0
That's how I have done it, just make sure the backpack is the conforming size. Hell , I even shipped pistols,357's and 44's (no ammo) on the checked baggage and it's perfectly legal . Check with the airline in case things have changed recently
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
0
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
I'd carry it as a 'carry on' but my mid-sized case will not fit in that little box that says "if it doesn't fit in here, you have to check it". If and when I check it, what sort of packaging would you recommend? I mean, I've only got a HUGE suitcase, and the case would fit in there + probably another case or two. I might need a smaller container for the PC. Any ideas what I could use?
mine didn't either :p

i called the airline ahead and asked if i could store in the "cabin baggage"; the crew takes care of it [they asked how many other bags i was carrying - none - and it was no charge]

IF it goes in the regular baggage, *insure* it ... they only have a ~$2,000 limit otherwise
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY