travelers to the US have to give 48 hour notification

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
At the end of the day, I think this will only be an inconvenience to those who need to travel internationally within a moment's notice.
And in their case, I'm sure there will be some sort of multiple-entry visa that will allow them to do so.

Whatever the case, nobody's "freedoms" have been taken away here. This is merely an inconvenience that will only be an issue with whiny "I want it now!" people...

Comanche

May 8, 2005
Your right, there haven't been any lost freedoms.

We have passed this bill to find out who is coming to this country. I wonder if a bad person is going to follow the rules. On top of that, will they even have a proper passport. Now that we have passed this bill, what are all those guys at immigration at the airport going to do. If this is implimented the way that it should be, immigration at the airport has just become a rubber stamp. So now instead of them watching for bad guys, some one else can do it, immigration can do it. We have people checking for bad guys all over the place. And they are finding them too. Look at that villanous singer that they detained for 5 hours. I feel safer already.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
^ You guys are really being silly. I have to wonder if any of you have actually traveled internationally.

Everyone has always checked who was coming into their country. They look up your name and passport# etc.

This just give them a little more time to do a better job.

It just might reduce or eliminate the inconvenience caused to people who have similar names to those on the terror watch list. We've seen people detained & inconvenienced while they are checked out. The government should be able to work it out with the extra time (fingers crossed, it is the government afterall).

Fern

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
What is the meaning of issuing VISAS ? I need a visa to come to US and my VISA application takes 3-4 days to answer, what is the additional security of a 2 day notice ?

Bureacracy, nothing else