Travel industry bailout

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
So you are saying we're lucky that opposition Democrats aren't the short sighted, selfish, unpatriotic assholes that Tea Partiers were in 2009?

I completely agree.

I'm saying that a 3.4% death rate (of those that get infected - not the whole population) might be peanuts compared to a 30% unemployment ACROSS THE ENTIRE COUNTRY where families starve, people become homeless/drug addicted, commit suicide, and die from overdoses.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Teahadists are still in congress also.

And doing the pump and dump stock market routine while backing Trump's declaration that the virus is a "Democrat impeachment hoax"

They need to rot in a deep dark dungeon gnawed by rats

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I agree, but that's also why I feel that they should be treated more like a public utility. There isn't a single person that can say "Yeah, I love how the airlines have made things the seats and bathrooms smaller. I also love the baggage fees!". I don't think it's asking anything excessive to have a rules in place dictated by the people if they expect the people to bail them out because they are a necessary utility. If we had ACTUAL free-market capitalism, these airlines simply wouldn't exist because no one would choose to fly with them. Instead, were stuck with a federally defined oligopoly of airlines where you have zero choice in the matter.

The same (sadly) goes for hotels. If business people aren't traveling (just like with airlines) then hotels will be failing.

I'm not so sure our public utilities are handled all that well and that that would be an improvement. And when airlines were more regulated airfares were significantly more expensive. People complain all the time about cost but there are better seat options out there - people just aren't willing to pay for them. I mean if people really cared Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier and Basic Economy wouldn't exist. I'm in favor of some new rules for them but people have been speaking quite loudly with their wallets about what they are really willing to accept for a low price.