Trashed

Carrot44

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Say you get something Brand new in and Trash it totally by trying to improve it such as a new heat sink Fan or prying a CPU apart?
Lets have a tally of what you did.
Me first So many things I cant even remember them all :eek:

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
I fud up an Athlon 700 trying to pry the heat sink clips off, that was 250 bucks down the drain 5 months ago

Jazar

Mar 27, 2000
I was messing around with my new home-built system (P3 800 w/ Geforce2) playing Deus Ex when the entire ATX tower tipped over and fell on it's side (hard!!) onto tile floor. The game didn't even crash and all the parts still seem to work ok but the strangest thing is my sound card ( SBLive Value) to this day isn't recognized when I close the case. ::shrug::

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
Wow Jazar, that would have scared the crap out of me, i would have been Sh!ting bricks

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I destroyed a Voodoo3 2000 PCI. Plus a couple of K6-2's, although one of them still works you just have to be VERY careful that the heatsink is properly balanced (ala coppermine type CPUs).

Viper GTS

Carrot44

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I used to collect antique pocket watches so destroyed alot of them :( Never Ever Ever have I destroyed a piece of Computer hardware on accident deliberate that is another story........

downhiller80

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2000
I killed an Asus v6800 deluxe when a BIOS update went horribly wrong. And all because I wanted that extra 2% or whatever sidebanding gives you . . .

Seb

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Took an ATX case, $32, brand new. Started doing my case mods, about 80% of the way through the pilot bit on a 3" hole saw powered by a 1/2" milwakee drill broke and the saw ended up scratching the hell out of the side of the case

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I broke my Iwill Slocket removing it without fully disengaging one of the clips.

It didn't matter since it was defective anyway and I already had my Abit Slotket (but I couldn't RMA it with broken capacitors and later sell it - actual loss about $10).

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I smudged the thermal grease on my golden orb when I took it out the box, and had to replace it (the grease, not the orb). Does that count?

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I once royally F@@@ed up a 4X CD burner in a fit of rage.
I was having a lockup problem, and the drive wouldn't read or anything. The tray was sitting open, and I just rared back and SMACKED IT BACK INTO the drive. Of course, at that point, it would no longer open or close.

--Nothing a little warranty voidage, some quickset epoxy, a finish nail, a dremel, and some good ol' American mechanical know-how couldn't fix. :)

Ricky
DesignDawg

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
I tosted my monitor cable taking it outa the box, I cut where it said not to :(

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
I have had 11 digital research brand CDROM drives fail... bought 3 of them, and RMAed all one 3 times and two 4 times. I finally stopped when shipping was costing more than new drives would have. I feel kinda foolish for RMAing them so many times without calling my attourny and filing a suit against them. It is illegal to sell known defects, even if they deny it, when there is continual failures like that it is a know defect.

Carrot44

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I watched my neighbor once have a raging fit and threw his Apple computer out into the yard and smash it............. all cause his mom complained about him being on it to much Wheeeeeeeee :cool:

syber321

Apr 11, 2000
Yeah, I love this computer so much, and am so addicted to it, I'm going to throw it out the window and demolish it... Makes sense..

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Well, not lately :p but there was that time we tried to fit a hard drive in using a hammer (you know, it just seemed to need a little tap :() :eek: :disgust: :frown: don't EVER do that.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Yeah, "my game didn't save correctly so I figured the write head was too far away from the platter....so I just tapped the top of the drive with a sledgehammer".