Transporting Fridge / Freezer

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
A friend of my wife's has a full size upright freezer that they don't need anymore, and has offered it to us, since they know we've been talking about getting one for awhile now.

All I have to do is go get it.

I have a truck, appliance dolly, straps, and the manpower to go get it, so no problems there.

My "worry" is the 20+ mile drive with it standing upright in the back of the truck... 3-4-5 miles I wouldn't worry too much, but I've got at least 20 miles and 2 freeways to go before I'd get it home.

Someone mentioned to me that I could lay it down, as long as I let it stand upright at least 24 hours before plugging it in.

I don't want to ruin it so I'm querying the vast ATOT knowledge base to see if anyone has done this, or has experience with this situation before.

Thanks.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If you brace the unit properly in the vehicle, and take it reasonably, there should be no problem. Wrap the unit in moving pads/blankets. Place it against the cab and one wall.
Secure with heavy rope or straps - do not allow any slack.

If you decide to lay it down:
On its side.
Padding underneath.

It may be more difficult to secure it when down vs standing up.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
You can lay it down.
Just do like you were told and leave it sitting up for about a day.
The reason is there is oil in the refrigerant lines that lubricates the compressor.
When you lay it down that oil goes up into the lines.
You need to let it sit upright for the oil to go back down into the compressor.