Question Transferring older Antec NeoECO 620W PSU to new z490-based build - feasible?

Beebo

Jan 18, 2011
Haven't upgraded my z87 based system and years but I'll soon be buying a 10850K chip with a z490 motherboard. I'm trying to carry over as much of my current build as possible (SSDs, GTX 1070, Corsair case, PSU, CM 212 cooler, etc.). But I'm concerned about that lack of 4 & 8 pin connectors on my current PSU and wonder if there's an adapter or something i can use with the 4 + 8 pin configuration on these newer . I do plan to upgrade the power supply sooner or later but in the meantime I want to know if I can at least test and boot stable with the current one

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Check the manual, it may state 8+4 or just 8 pin required and that the 4 pin is in addition for extreme overclocks and stuff. Many of the newer boards with 8+4 CPU power setups in reality only need the 8 pin. Again check your manual on the board.

Very best,

Beebo

Jan 18, 2011
Check the manual, it may state 8+4 or just 8 pin required and that the 4 pin is in addition for extreme overclocks and stuff. Many of the newer boards with 8+4 CPU power setups in reality only need the 8 pin. Again check your manual on the board.

Very best,

Okay, thanks. Wasn't exactly sure what the extra 4/8 pin connector was for. I think I do have an 8pin connector on my old PSU but I think I was using it for the GTX 1070 (which I intend to also upgrade as soon as the 3060 Ti is available in abundance under $399) which likely means I'll need an adapter for it or something if i even want to use the 8-pin connector on the motherboard. But I'll download the pdf manual for the motherboard I finally decide on (leaning towards an MSI Tomahawk or Asus z490-E if I can eventually get one for under $250) to see if I need just the 8 pin connector.