Question Transfer speed on LAN

ForeverNoob

Dec 27, 2021
Hello,

My home LAN includes a PC and a NAS drive, both wire connected to a 1GBPS switch that is connected to a 1GBPS router. My question is: If I replace the router with a new one with a 100MBPS LAN, will the data transfer speed between the PC and NAS drive going to drop?

TIA

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No, as long as they are both connected through the switch, they will remain at GbE link speed.

I wonder why you would replace a router with GbE ports, with one having only 100Mb. GbE routers have been around a long time and so aren't expensive today. People are even giving away old used ones with GbE.

Reactions: ForeverNoob

ForeverNoob

Dec 27, 2021
No, as long as they are both connected through the switch, they will remain at GbE link speed.

I wonder why you would replace a router with GbE ports, with one having only 100Mb. GbE routers have been around a long time and so aren't expensive today. People are even giving away old used ones with GbE.
Thank you.

It is because where I live the WAN infrastructure fails frequently, so I consider buying a router with 4G cellular support, but I was only able to find one in a reasonable price with a 100MB speed.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As @mindless1 said, you can maintain 1Gbps between PC/NAS as long as both devices connected to the gigabit switch, your internet just can't go over 100Mbps if your subscription rate is higher than that.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If your speed tier is 100Mb, a 100Mb switch/router will bottleneck that due to inefficiencies to around 90Mb IIRC.

ASK THE COMMUNITY