Transfer old W98 settings/DUN/etc. from old HD to XP?

DrJeff

Mar 10, 2001
I have a new machine with XP Home factory installed that replaced a machine with a bad mobo. The old machine won't boot. I need the dialup networking shortcuts and assoc. login stuff from the old HD so I can set up same on the new XP Home because some of those configurations are going to be a huge headache to recreate from scratch. If I had a functioning machine to transfer from, I could run the transfer wizard from XP, but I don't. Does anyone know which files the DUN params resides in under W98se? The old HD is already sitting in the new machine as the second HD.

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
The setup and options are totally different. You'd be better off doing it from scratch.

DrJeff

Mar 10, 2001
I know, but it's on my wife's computer and she is really bent about having to lose all of those numbers and configs. If there were a file I could look in for old DUN shortcuts or something, my life would be more pleasant. Will copy them to paper next time...

GTiBri

Dec 4, 2003
Unfortunately I think they are hidden from you. In the past I've always created a .dun file by dragging the dialup connection out of the "Dial up networking" window. At that point you can use the .dun file in Windows XP.

But if the .dun file isn't created, I think that the info is hidden in the registry.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The old HD should be selectable as the boot drive, in the bios.
Since it will likely have trouble booting on the new mboard, you'll then need to do a repair re-install of Win98.