Transfer old film to dvd?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
What site do you guys recommend? I only have one I need transferred at the moment, 3" reel.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Most of them are probably using the same technique and possibly even equipment. The standard was it to project it onto a mirrored screen and record it with a video camera. That then goes to disc (directly or via NLE). You can find it as low as $40 (maybe less now that the transfer projectors are becoming so prevalent.) Most of the main camera/video stores offer it as a service. Since it is usually non-destructive, not too much of a risk.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: gsellis
Most of them are probably using the same technique and possibly even equipment. The standard was it to project it onto a mirrored screen and record it with a video camera. That then goes to disc (directly or via NLE). You can find it as low as $40 (maybe less now that the transfer projectors are becoming so prevalent.) Most of the main camera/video stores offer it as a service. Since it is usually non-destructive, not too much of a risk.

About a year ago I had a number of reels done by Larsen Digital. They were one of the few (if not the only) that I found that did NOT use the above described method and actually scanned each and every frame of the film.

It wasn't cheap, and they do have a minimum footage (which will far exceed what is on your reel) but the results were good.

http://www.larsendigital.com/

Viper GTS

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: gsellis

About a year ago I had a number of reels done by Larsen Digital. They were one of the few (if not the only) that I found that did NOT use the above described method and actually scanned each and every frame of the film.

It wasn't cheap, and they do have a minimum footage (which will far exceed what is on your reel) but the results were good.

http://www.larsendigital.com/

Viper GTS

Now that is nice.