Trans-Lux LCD/LED Maker Moving Back to USA - Because Trump Won

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Trump is still killing it, didn't even have to make a phone call on this one.

From CNN Money :
http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/07/technology/translux-manufacturing-trump/index.html
Trump's win pushed this manufacturer to return to the U.S.

""Earlier this year, we didn't think Donald Trump would win," said Allain. "But we closely watched his campaign and listened to his protectionist rhetoric. His win forced us to reevaluate our plans in China."

Now with Trump's win, Allain said the company is accelerating its move back to the U.S., with the goal to make all of its products in America within a year.
"The political rhetoric primarily on the Republican side, both from candidate Trump and Congress, really pushed us to act faster to get that new facility underway and move production here," said Allain."

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So they were moving back to the states but now they are going to do it faster?

Fantastic!

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Just curious, since we know that overall employment and many other indicators (aside from the debt) have gradually improved since 2010 or so, are there reliable, annual statistics that quantify outsourcing? Something like a percentage of non-American jobs out of total jobs offered by American companies, although even that doesn't seem like a super reliable metric. Seems like a complicated thing to measure. Granted, if Trump manages to scare enough companies into moving money or jobs back here on their own will with just rhetoric alone, that would probably be a plus and give credence to the madman theory of governing.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just curious, since we know that overall employment and many other indicators (aside from the debt) have gradually improved since 2010 or so, are there reliable, annual statistics that quantify outsourcing? Something like a percentage of non-American jobs out of total jobs offered by American companies, although even that doesn't seem like a super reliable metric. Seems like a complicated thing to measure. Granted, if Trump manages to scare enough companies into moving money or jobs back here on their own will with just rhetoric alone, that would probably be a plus and give credence to the madman theory of governing.

I just have to point out that this trend has been happening for several years now.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us...inally-outpaced-offshoring-in-2014-2015-05-01

I will also reiterate what I've said in an earlier thread: trump is set to inherit a really strong economy.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...rongest-economy-weve-seen-in-decades.2492168/

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I just have to point out that this trend has been happening for several years now.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us...inally-outpaced-offshoring-in-2014-2015-05-01

I will also reiterate what I've said in an earlier thread: trump is set to inherit a really strong economy.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...rongest-economy-weve-seen-in-decades.2492168/

Well,as history shows, you give the GOP a nice fat economy to suckle off of, they will suck it dry within an inch of its life, lay the blame on the Dems and their bleeding heart social welfare programs AND THEN give the sick, near dying beast back to the Dems to build it back up again. Wash, rinse repeat.

The GOP, under the influence of the very wealthy, will allow for the ransacking, looting and pillaging of the economy via legislating it into legality, and/or they will simply turn a blind eye to the carnage and then walk away, much fatter portfolios in hand. We've also witnessed the folks who voted for all of this to happen not do a damn thing about it except support the looting and plundering of their own pockets. Why? I have no idea.

We've seen this shit play itself out when the GOP went hog wild under Bush, and there's absolutely every reason why the GOP will do it again, especially with an asshole like Trump the Crook in Chief leading the way.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004

Yes and no. There are plenty of stats on how many H1Bs come into the country (which you've found), and that is subdivided into job positions by visasquare.com - which is mostly there for people seeking an H1B to find an H1B employer.

As you say it's more complex, especially the way consulting companies like Tata and Infosys work. They bring in H1Bs, get them trained, and then send most of them back to India leaving unemployed Americans.

As far as jobs - yeah, having a 100k/yr engineer get laid off and become a 40k/yr truck driver is something I've seen. This is particularly true of anyone over 50. And it can be a lot worse.

I think this site is fairly accurate on the per year stats.

The goal posts on this is already moving though, the 'assault' on the H1B will spin up with Trump but business has changed the target.

Now they open their own office in India, send americans to India to train them, then lay people off here. Few if any H1B required. It's called :

Global Innovation Center (GIC). Mostly they are in Bangalore, which is a tech mecca in India.

Target CEO sends message to India employees: We're here to stay

To illustrate what this really is (I don't work for Target), I just saw ~30 people laid off a month ago and their jobs taken up by a GIC team in Bangalore.

It's another bullshit fuck-you move by our corporate masters.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/outsourcing-statistics-by-country/

q0HAgah.png

Reactions: superstition

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

From CNN Money :

""Earlier this year, we didn't think Donald Trump would win," said Allain. "But we closely watched his campaign and listened to his protectionist rhetoric. His win forced us to reevaluate our plans in China."

Now with Trump's win, Allain said the company is accelerating its move back to the U.S., with the goal to make all of its products in America within a year.
"The political rhetoric primarily on the Republican side, both from candidate Trump and Congress, really pushed us to act faster to get that new facility underway and move production here," said Allain."

It pays to kiss that sphincter ring, that you've already got your lips locked around.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This was planned already. It's like 50 jobs. Which is a good thing but whoopdee doo. Talk to me when Trump policy actually creates this by the hundred of thousands.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Yet another wants so badly to believe things are going to change based on previous plans but now credited to the orange Messiah thread...

Reactions: Thebobo

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

From CNN Money :

History repeats itself: Republican inherits a strong economy and takes credit for it, then runs it in to the ground for the next Democrat to fix.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Yes and no. There are plenty of stats on how many H1Bs come into the country (which you've found), and that is subdivided into job positions by visasquare.com - which is mostly there for people seeking an H1B to find an H1B employer.

As you say it's more complex, especially the way consulting companies like Tata and Infosys work. They bring in H1Bs, get them trained, and then send most of them back to India leaving unemployed Americans.

As far as jobs - yeah, having a 100k/yr engineer get laid off and become a 40k/yr truck driver is something I've seen. This is particularly true of anyone over 50. And it can be a lot worse.

I think this site is fairly accurate on the per year stats.

The goal posts on this is already moving though, the 'assault' on the H1B will spin up with Trump but business has changed the target.

Now they open their own office in India, send americans to India to train them, then lay people off here. Few if any H1B required. It's called :

Global Innovation Center (GIC). Mostly they are in Bangalore, which is a tech mecca in India.

Target CEO sends message to India employees: We're here to stay

To illustrate what this really is (I don't work for Target), I just saw ~30 people laid off a month ago and their jobs taken up by a GIC team in Bangalore.

It's another bullshit fuck-you move by our corporate masters.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/outsourcing-statistics-by-country/

q0HAgah.png
It's a move by our "corporate masters" specifically because that's what it takes to win in the system our political masters have set up.