Train Simulator 2013 available for pre-order, releases September 20th

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
http://www.railsimulator.com/newsdetail.php?Ref=428
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24009/

In summary, new features of TS 2013 include:

• Multiplayer functionality via "Relay Play", complete scenarios cooperatively with friends
  • Quick Drive - Easily customize your location, route, locomotive, weather, and time of day to begin driving
  • Enhanced graphics w/ higher poly train models, enhanced weather, physics, sound, and improved optimization
  • Better-designed UI and menus, customizable HUD that can be disabled, and a more intuitive task map
  • Steam workshop - Train Simulator 2013 will integrate with Steam's workshop and allow players to create and share custom-made trains and routes
  • Xbox 360 controller compatibility
  • Backwards compatibility with older content (as always)

For those who already own Train Simulator 2012, they will be getting a free upgrade to 2013 that includes the new core technology (but nothing else). However, if you buy the full game, you'll also get the new trains and routes. These include:

• Sherman Hill route with new ES44AC, SD70M and SW10
  • Munich-Augsburg route with ICE 3M Class 406
  • London to Brighton route with Class 377 Electrostar

Game comes out Sept. 20th.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I had fun with 2012. It's a neat sim if you're a train buff. The downside is that the routes get old fast, and the DLC is quite expensive. There is a ton of freeware community stuff out there for it, but getting the right asset packs installed to make the freeware routes work was pretty challenging for me.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I don't know a single person who buys these games. Isn't the total price for everything somewhere around $1000?

A flight sim I can understand, you're flying. But a train sim? Really?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I don't know a single person who buys these games. Isn't the total price for everything somewhere around $1000?

If you were to buy every single DLC in existence, then yes, the cost would be somewhere in the thousands. Why exactly would you want to do this though?

Train Simulator is not like a regular game; you don't "want" to own every DLC. You're not missing out on any storyline or characters, you're not missing out on "l33t weapons", nor are you missing out on any skins or XP boosts. It's not Cawadooty. It's a simulator aimed at people who like trains.

Imagine if model trains were your hobby; would you buy every single kind of model train available? No. You only buy the trains you're interested in.

Same thing with Train Simulator 2012: Only buy the stuff you like. Prefer steam locomotives? Then only buy the steam locomotive DLC. Only like diesels? Then buy the diesel DLC.

If you were a car collector, you wouldn't honestly try to purchase every single car ever made, would you? (Isn't the total price for all that somewhere in the millions?) :p

Are you allowed easy access to driving trains in real life? I'm not.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Don't be too hard on Red Storm. There are many people who've only ever seen a train on TV/movies. I love steam trains and have a secret urge to mod one to run on alcohol. :)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If you were to buy every single DLC in existence, then yes, the cost would be somewhere in the thousands. Why exactly would you want to do this though?

Train Simulator is not like a regular game; you don't "want" to own every DLC. You're not missing out on any storyline or characters, you're not missing out on "l33t weapons", nor are you missing out on any skins or XP boosts. It's not Cawadooty. It's a simulator aimed at people who like trains.

Imagine if model trains were your hobby; would you buy every single kind of model train available? No. You only buy the trains you're interested in.

Same thing with Train Simulator 2012: Only buy the stuff you like. Prefer steam locomotives? Then only buy the steam locomotive DLC. Only like diesels? Then buy the diesel DLC.

If you were a car collector, you wouldn't honestly try to purchase every single car ever made, would you? (Isn't the total price for all that somewhere in the millions?) :p

It's a normal reaction.

Players might get 50 different cars in a racing game, if it cost $1000 fall all of them they'd be shocked by that too, which is a closer analogy that the cost of 'real' cars.

But you're right, this game is designed for people to buy a small amount of the DLC.

They do have specials in the holidays - and once, all the DLC was $300.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I bought it. It seems like a relaxing game, nice scenery, trains are nice. I haven't played it much yet though.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
It's a normal reaction.

Players might get 50 different cars in a racing game, if it cost $1000 fall all of them they'd be shocked by that too, which is a closer analogy that the cost of 'real' cars.

But you're right, this game is designed for people to buy a small amount of the DLC.

They do have specials in the holidays - and once, all the DLC was $300.

It was on sale for $4 during the summer sale, and it was $4 during last year's Christmas sale too. If the trend continues, then it should be on sale for $4 again in a few months. So for those of you who are only passively interested in this game, just be patient and you can grab it for cheap. :)

And yeah, the Christmas/Summer sales are also when all the DLC can be had for $300 or something... that is, if you're really inclined to own it all.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It was on sale for $4 during the summer sale, and it was $4 during last year's Christmas sale too. If the trend continues, then it should be on sale for $4 again in a few months. So for those of you who are only passively interested in this game, just be patient and you can grab it for cheap. :)

And yeah, the Christmas/Summer sales are also when all the DLC can be had for $300 or something... that is, if you're really inclined to own it all.

I have it available for trade, if people prefer, not that I need much (Civ 5 expansion).

I've only seen the sale on all DLC once, a couple years ago.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I guess that makes sense. I just don't get it, but I'm glad those who do have the option to play!

If this one doesn't make sense to you, remember there's 'ship sim' that's a little like this but with water instead of scenery... and from there even harder to believe ones.

One of the games I was more surprised by is one where you drive farming equipment.

Of course there are hospital, hotel, restaurant, zoo sims...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
If this one doesn't make sense to you, remember there's 'ship sim' that's a little like this but with water instead of scenery... and from there even harder to believe ones.

One of the games I was more surprised by is one where you drive farming equipment.

Of course there are hospital, hotel, restaurant, zoo sims...

None of those touch the inanity of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BXoMAcTqI8

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
everytime I see this on sale at steam I get pissed that it isnt a new railroad tycoon.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
None of those touch the inanity of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BXoMAcTqI8

I call and raise you Desert Bus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBr7EhL6Jpg

Though in fairness, Desert Bus was purposely created to be the dullest game imaginable. Satires the first wave violent video game controversy of the mid 90s.

I do sort of get the appeal of train simulators. I had an HO train set as a kid. All in a box in my workshop now. Just took up way too much space, and me dad never had time to build it with me. You can build your own set in a virtual space. Requires no building skills or space, and $30 is a hell of a lot cheaper.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005

as a person whos deep into model trains, i can say this is only true of most people. some of us collect everything we can because its sweet! (no i dont really need a GP9 in 32 different road names, but why not!)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If anyone wants to trade a copy of the Civ 5 expansion for the simulator... maybe with another small game tossed in as well.