Traffic cameras(Do you know how they work?)

fergiboy

Mar 10, 2000
My city just put those traffic cameras at every intersection. I think that I may have gotten caught because I was really really dumb.

What happened was I was stopped at a red for a while and I was in the lane that goes strait and when the left arrow turned green I went because of the impulse of seeing the green. Will the camera pick that up?

Thanks for the help:(

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I've never heard of a traffic camera that'll snap you for running a red. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it seems unlikely.

Word of advice, though: Be more careful next time.

Viper GTS

fergiboy

Mar 10, 2000
It was early in the morning. There was noone going the other way so there was no iminant collision, I am just worried that those cameras will jack me.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Big brother is watching! Heh, your're probably OK. So far road cams haven't been abused where I live. The dept. of transporation monitors just about everything and tickets do go out, etc. But often the cams are helpful (when some old lady blows a tire, DOT can vector out the law to help her). Mostly good stuff overall...so far.

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
are u talking about the ones that take pictures if you run the light?

because there are a few in LA that do that....

fergiboy

Mar 10, 2000
Big brother is right.......any pervert that works for the city can probably take pictures of you while you are in the privacy of your car.

fergiboy

Mar 10, 2000
Ya, I am in orange county and supposedly they take a picture when you run the light. But how does it work, does it take the picture when it first turns red or is it like a motion sensor.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
i believe it's done by a motion sensor. If something big is moving when the light turns red, SNAP.

If so, you're safe. The green arrow to turn left was on, so the sensors probably weren't enabled cause that would be pointless.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
They can operate multiple ways. They can use the signal sensors in the pavement, motion sensors placed on the signal pole, lasers and a I think there are a few other ways. They can be targeted as lane specific or however they would like. It's usually simply a factor of money, a typical signal with coils in the pavement will run around $100,000 in the mountain west, adding cameras, the electronics to control them and the fiber optic to move the signal to a TOC (traffic operations center) will probably quadruple that.

The national DOT is on a big push to elimate running red lights. Red light accidents are quickly becoming the number 1 killer. Visit the DOT's page and take a look at the statistics, it's quite scary...

M O M O

Feb 25, 2000
hehe.. i see them flash all day long at my major intersection... Just look for the flash.. in a few days you have a nice picture with a ticket attached.

Crystal Bay

Oct 9, 1999
They are there!!!!!... As long as your front wheels have crossed the limit line, while the light is yellow , you're O.K.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Traffic signal cameras work by having a inductive loop sensor buried in the road just in front of the line.

The sensor is armed just as the light goes red. If you go over the line, while the light is red, then the camera will photograph your car.

However, about 1-2 seconds later, the camera will take a 2nd photograph - this photograph allows the authorities to tell whether or not you accidentally rolled over, or made a run across the junction.

However, if the cameras in the US are the same as in the UK, I wouldn't worry. In the UK, the police can neither afford to keep the cameras full of film, nor afford to prosecute for every violation, so most people get off.

fergiboy

Mar 10, 2000
I no longer think that these things are cameras because of their look. They are these skinney white things. I think they are there to monitor the traffic conditions of the day, like how many cars pass by each intersection each day. I also heard that in order for it to give you a ticket they must have a sign posted that says they are taking your picture. Anyone know anything about that?

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, there's one good thing about living in Nebraska (which I do): courts ruled that traffic cameras are unconstitutional! Apparently, the Nebraska State Constitution has something in it that prevents any city from putting up cameras. Woohoo! So I guess the fuzz are going to have to get me in the flesh.

BRING IT!

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
I don't know how the newer cameras works, but the early cameras (about 7-10 years ago) are Nikon F3 with fix length 80~200mm lenses, that are loaded with a special built back that take the entire roll of bulk film (similar to the Canon F1 250 shot spool back which is about $25.00~30.00 per roll). Which would more than paid for its self with one ticket. The reason for why most people get away is because the cops can't keep up with reloading the cameras with films.

Also they are in 1/2in bulletproof steel drum cassing (don't know the glass thickness). And the best way to damage it is to spray paint the lens cover.

A few years ago when they designed & proposed the camera idea here in Canada, which I opposes the idea. I found it is stupid for the cites officials to buy into the idea of using some lame camera design by some idiot engineers that don?t know how to think a head, because the 35mm format with extended spool back isn?t the logical choice for the work load.

They should have hired me to design them a traffic camera (I was only in high school then).

But then, I thank God that they aren?t smart enough to use the 16mm (half frame) cameras for traffic control, that would make the cameras smaller, double the film frames, and increase the light speed by 2/3 stop.
They could even go farther and uses 16mm motion camera film and 16mm still motors & box that would increase the film length 100, 500, or 1000 feet format (1 foot = 24 frames).
At 1000 feet the yield would be 24 000 frames, or an average of 3.6s per frame per 24 hours, instead of the regular 35mm design with 345.6s or 5.76min per frame.
And, not only that the 16mm format increase in frame rate, but it also increase in the photograph able daylights time. At 2/3 stop gain in daylight, which translate to a bout an extra hour of usable photograph able daylight and increase the flash range by 2/3.
The $$$ per frame for 16mm verses 35mm would also drop, because 100 feet of 16mm= $50, and 500 feet = $150 (don?t know the 1000 feet price).

Here in Victoria, BC. Canada the cops gets an averager of 500 photographs for the morning rushhour traffics on one highway.
I could make alot of money, if any city council wants to have effective traffic cameras with out the need to alocate money to up keep or purchase the cameras.
I could built the cameras, maintenance & supply the film for free of charge, but they have to paid me $1.00 for every car that they fine for speeding or running red lights, that is caught by the cameras.

Just Ranting :eek:

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Cameras probably wouldn't last very long where I live. Vandals would take them out, which suits me. The "authorities" around here would more than likely abuse something like that anyway.....:| -kd5-

JettaJack

Aug 9, 2000
yeah, I live in MD too and i live in the county with the most camera(Howard). The flast is really bright and u can't miss it, day or night. But i heard that if u put a CD on the car's back window(back of the cd facing outside). the light of the camera suppose to get some reflection of the CD and can't capture anything. but never try it my self yet.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What happens say...
If you just went down a muddy road, and your plate is all covered with mud?

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000
JettaJack,

It not gona work, because you just get a bright spot on the picture if you use the CD.

What you could do is to put high power infrared lights around your license plate that look normal to the naked eyes, but it will destroy the film emulsion, because the film chemical is very sensitive to infared.

fergiboy

Mar 10, 2000
This is what it says about the cameras on the cities web sight:

<< This project will provide video cameras for vehicle detection at the following intersections: Los Alisos/Santa Margarita, La Paz/Marguerite, Oso/Marguerite, Oso/Felipe, and Crown Valley/Marguerite. In addition to replacing the conventional detector loops in the pavement, the cameras will record traffic data and allow the intersections to be monitored and managed remotely from the City's Traffic Management Center at City Hall. >>

So I don't think they are there for giving out tickets.

djk

Aug 22, 2000
I dont have a license plate on the front of my car, so when i know its gonna take a picture, i flip the camera off with a smile.