[ TPU ] RTX & DLSS in Shadow of Tomb Raider

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
You can definitely see difference between RTX on and off, when it comes to missing shadows from point-lights like campfires or candles etc... it looks pretty horrible seeing Lara standing next to burning fire inside a cave, not casting shadow at all... with RTX off. Complete waste of effort on graphics IMO. Thus, as far as i am concerned, RTX is justified there. Other than that, not so much. In those daylight scenes, when the only difference is slightly more blurred shadows, honestly its not worth it....the performance budget would be better used on raytraced GI and/or reflections.

DLSS, from what i saw, looks actually quite OK in this game.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Using the RTX2060, I've set RTX to medium.
Game looks great. Plays great.

Still haven't messed with DLSS.

High and Ultra are best left to the 2080 and 2080TI.
Ultra turned into a stutterfest on the 2060.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Couple thoughts here. First kudos to the developer for supporting DX12 mGPU. 4k with everything turned to maximum (rtx ultra, dlss off) is giving me 50-60 fps. Seeing both of my cards at 100% utilization is a glorious site to behold. Interesting thing I've noticed about rtx vs rasterization is in the games where RTX is used and the cards are under full load, power consumption and/or TDP is usually only 80%-90% of the card and cards clocks hover around the rated boost clock I assume because the rasterization is waiting on the rtx stuff. Whereas in non rtx game or mode the tdp and clocks are way up. This affects temps as well and the cards are noticeably quieter when rtx is being used. SLI /mGPU is a great solution to the performance hit from rtx. If only it was more widely supported. Youd think Nvidia would at least spend the money to get the developers using rtx to support multiple cards.