[TPU] NVIDIA Working on a GeForce GTX TITAN Refresh?

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
:twisted:

http://www.techpowerup.com/195013/nvidia-working-on-a-geforce-gtx-titan-refresh.html

The GeForce GTX 780 Ti may be the fastest single-GPU graphics card that money can buy, by a long shot, but only to people who game and don't really care about double-precision floating point GPGPU performance. NVIDIA expects you to shell out $999 on the GTX TITAN for full double-precision FP performance at the moment. For all other intents and purposes, the GTX TITAN is cannibalized, but will it stay that way? VideoCardz spotted these pictures of a black-colored GTX TITAN graphics card in the wild, which retains the cooler design of the original, right up to the "TITAN" logo, but swaps out the silver for black. The publication is referring to the card as a sort of "Black Edition." Speculation is rife about what it could be, a GK110-based card with identical core-configuration to the GTX 780 Ti, 6 GB of memory, full double-precision floating-point performance and slightly higher clock speeds, perhaps?

Added 3rd party source citation in title, per forum rules.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
It will have 12 GB ;)
This card will be the most pointless card in a long time imo. At least Titan was a good 30% faster than the competition. This will not be true about the Titan Black Edition and it likely will be as power hungry as the 290X in uber mode.

Spidre

Nov 6, 2013
I really doubt it. Videocardz had a rumor of a 780 ti black edition before the launch, and it looks like this rumor is still circulating. There's really no need for this card right now... even the 780ti was excessive with maxwell so close.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
The first Maxwells will be at home at least one segment below the 780 Ti. That should be no problem.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Irregardless, I do hope they paint all their reference coolers black like that since black is so highly regarded for cases and mobos in the enthusiast community.

Would really make the GeForce GTX logo pop even more against a background of all black components.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Can the next process node just get here already?

I don't know how far Nvidia and AMD can push 28nm to without bundle closed loop WC system with the card. The crap AMD pulled with the 290 series cooler is pushing it already.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
It will have 12 GB ;)
This card will be the most pointless card in a long time imo. At least Titan was a good 30% faster than the competition. This will not be true about the Titan Black Edition and it likely will be as power hungry as the 290X in uber mode.

How is it pointless if you want Titan's double-precision FP performance but you also want gaming performance no less than the less expensive 780 Ti... When you can have your cake and eat it too, why not? Sure, its a small niche, tiny, super tiny rather, but its definitely not pointless. If I wanted to buy an entry level workstation card that I could game on, for $1000 I'd be pretty bummed out that it wasn't at least on par with the $700 780Ti.

I really doubt it. Videocardz had a rumor of a 780 ti black edition before the launch, and it looks like this rumor is still circulating. There's really no need for this card right now... even the 780ti was excessive with maxwell so close.

With everyone limited by the current 28nm fabs, GK110 will be unrivaled by anything Maxwell for at least another year I'd wager. Just look how long it took nVidia to get GF100/110 with Fermi going properly, and then GK110 after GK104. Now we don't even have the next process (20nm) ready and the talk is to push low-midrange Maxwell out on current 28nm

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
How is it pointless if you want Titan's double-precision FP performance but you also want gaming performance no less than the less expensive 780 Ti... When you can have your cake and eat it too, why not? Sure, its a small niche, tiny, super tiny rather, but its definitely not pointless. If I wanted to buy an entry level workstation card that I could game on, for $1000 I'd be pretty bummed out that it wasn't at least on par with the $700 780Ti.

If it is a super tiny niche product, then I would consider it pointless. That doesn't mean there isn't a history for those products. GeForce 2 Ultra, 8800 Ultra...

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
It will have 12 GB ;)

Not every video card in production is designed exclusively for gamers.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I would think at this point nvidia would just wait on their next gen cards but who knows what they are thinking in their corporate offices. Of course if AMD does something (as in releases something new/different) that would trigger nvidia to act sooner.

janii

Nov 1, 2013
Only witcher 3 will tell me if my gtx580 needs to be replaced. Everything shall be maxed and 60 fps.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Titan evolves into a fully enabled GK110 with double precision. If so, move GTX 780 up a performance slot by enabling another SM, keep double precision disabled. On the gaming side, you'd have GTX 780 and 780ti, and a full bore Titan on the compute side, which would keep it alive at $999?

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Titan evolves into a fully enabled GK110 with double precision. If so, move GTX 780 up a performance slot by enabling another SM, keep double precision disabled. On the gaming side, you'd have GTX 780 and 780ti, and a full bore Titan on the compute side, which would keep it alive at $999?
if im not mistaken, the driver (and maybe the BIOS) is what limits anything using a GK110 chip from having full DP performance. and compute vs gaming isnt a good dichotomy. it may be true sometimes, but it's not true all the time.:)
The GeForce GTX 780 Ti may be the fastest single-GPU graphics card that money can buy, by a long shot, but only to people who game and don't really care about double-precision floating point GPGPU performance. NVIDIA expects you to shell out $999 on the GTX TITAN for full double-precision FP performance at the moment.
see my replies above.:)