TPU: nVidia readies 1660TI

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
570/80 replacements. Basically next gen 7nm console development lifted over to the PC market.

As such reasonably likely to be sensibly competitive in the low /mid range market. Hopefully they can get the power draw lower than polaris.

Architectures aren't designed for consoles. They are general purpose.

Customization take place aggregate level (how many units, Memory type and bandwidth) for the specific application (APU, desktop GPU, console).

I don't expect much from Navi. I remember the roadmaps where there was Vega, Navi, and "Next Generation". I never got any indication from AMD that Navi was anything more than tweaked Vega. The unamed "Next Generation" is where real change might happen.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Hawaii R9 290X launched at $549 with superior Mantle and later DX-12/Vulkan performance against the GTX780 that was selling for $649. There was no added price tax for features like Asynchronous Compute , Mantle and later DX-12/Vulkan performance.

So, again, be consistent:

Because you pay for hardware that is not usable by 99% of current games.

Please, list how many games had Vulkan, Mantle, and DX12 when these cards launched. We had this debate back then, it was weak then, it's still weak now. And please remember, I had HD 7970 and RX 290X CFX, and only switched when I couldn't get a Fury X and gave up on cheer leading AMD.

So that must mean that you also feel NGG is garbage. But yet I don’t recall anything other than praise for NGG in your postings.

Hmmmmmm

Yeah, it's getting tiresome. This is the same guy that said RX 480 would be 90% of GTX 1080 in DX12 for $200. With fans like this, AMD is doomed.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, even if Ray Tracing suddenly became popular, and suddenly appeared in most games in 2H19, the RTX cards seem to be too slow at it to utilize it effectively in games.

Unless the drivers are way off, these cards will still be too slow later as well.

So in that sense, I think the situation is a bit different than prior examples.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
It's very hard to tell - there's one game using it which isn't doing tensor cute denoising and has a rather slow dx12 path anyway.
(Also an online shooter so hardly great for pretty but slightly slow stuff!!)

It is somewhat surprising how slow the software support has been so far. NV normally brilliant at this.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, even if Ray Tracing suddenly became popular, and suddenly appeared in most games in 2H19, the RTX cards seem to be too slow at it to utilize it effectively in games.

It is somewhat surprising how slow the software support has been so far. NV normally brilliant at this.

Just saw that Metro: Exodus decided to take the bribe. Nvidia is gonna face the same screw ups AMD did. Tie some of your newest functions/features to a game only to have the publishers just take a crap all over buyers.

Good luck getting RTX off the ground if publishers are taking bribes and coercing buyers to go with a new store front potentially killing sales. RTX can sit on the shelf far as I'm concerned.