[TPU] ASUS 7970 DCu II coming

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
http://www.techpowerup.com/159003/ASUS-Radeon-HD-7970-DirectCu-II-Graphics-Card-Pictured.html

This will solve my little issue with needing 3+ DP connectors for 3x120Hz.

Now I just have to find out if 2Fire will be enough for that setup, or if I need to wait for the 7990 for 3Fire.

Now for sale at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121499

Update 1/31:

Asus claims to have released this card... not sure where that puts it in terms of retail, but I'm still anxious to see the price on this monster. Directron puts formal release on 2/3.

http://www.asus.com/News/k0CG9DPYB7HJPmrq/

Part numbers (easier to search it out):

Normal clocks: HD7970-DC2-3GD5
OC'd: HD7970-DC2T-3GD5

$600 over at Directron for pre-order: http://www.directron.com/hd7970dc2t3gd5.html

Also encouraging is that the ASUS site lists the dimensions as: 11" x 5.1" x 2.1", so not longer than standard.

Last edited:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I like these segmented layer views :)
180e.jpg

180c.jpg

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I wonder why vapor chambers aren't being used. I thought they were the new "shiznizzle" in the world of cooling.
Maybe they're too costly, but on a card this expensive in the first place, it's minimal.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I wonder why vapor chambers aren't being used. I thought they were the new "shiznizzle" in the world of cooling.
Maybe they're too costly, but on a card this expensive in the first place, it's minimal.

Isn't the cooler about the same as what's on the GTX580 DirectCU II? Looking at images at least it looks very similar in design.

The Asus DirectCU cards do have a nice look to them :)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The voltage mod stuff looks interesting if you have a compatable Asus motherboard.

180f.jpg

180g.jpg

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Will be a beast-mode overclocker no doubt.

I don't like this model from Asus though, triple slot video cards are no good if you want to run multi-gpu.

Where is the 7970 Lightning ffs.

digitalbuda

Jul 10, 2010
While it does look awesome, it looks as though it is much larger than their last 6000 series. And their last gen series were already sagging quite a bit. These ones might just snap off after a while, they gonna have to have some kind of support to prevent too much sagging.

MangoX

Feb 13, 2001
Wonder how it cools... the heat sink looks too tiny for a triple slot card. The fans seem to occupy too much space.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Will be a beast-mode overclocker no doubt.

I don't like this model from Asus though, triple slot video cards are no good if you want to run multi-gpu.

Where is the 7970 Lightning ffs.

I would be sold if it weren't triple slot. That is ridiculous, especially when MSI lightning does better as double slot.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The Lightning won't solve my issue of needing 3+ DP connectors (based on the 6970 version), so if this thing isn't priced absurdly, it'll probably get my money. That or I wait for the 7990... but I'd just rather not...

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Read this rumored pricing info: "Asus’ HD 7970 DirectCU II Top is expected to arrive sometime during next month and in Sweden it will retail for 5,500 Kronor, which translates into about 500 EUR or $644 US after excluding VAT."

And if that's true, then forget this thing and I'll wait the extra month for the 7990 and an extra GPU core for another $200, since the rumor is $850.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Why in the heck do you need that massive cooler for a 75mhz overclock? Someone is smoking a lot of crack over at Asus.

superjim

Jan 3, 2012
While it does look awesome, it looks as though it is much larger than their last 6000 series. And their last gen series were already sagging quite a bit. These ones might just snap off after a while, they gonna have to have some kind of support to prevent too much sagging.

I don't understand "sagging" for add-in cards. Do people not screw their cards in? This thing has THREE screws to secure it to your case. Tightened those d@mn things and you should have 0 problems. If you're really worried about it, just get a different case.

In other news, some of us don't want to touch multi-GPU setups with a 10 foot pole and use no other cards, I have 5 slots to spare.

Edit - spelling

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I don't understand "sagging" for add-in cards. Do people not screw their cards in? This think has THREE screws to secure it to your case. Tightened those d@mn things and you should have 0 problems. If you're really worried about it, just get a different case.

In other news, some of us don't want to touch mult-GPU setups with a 10 foot pole and use no other cards, I have 5 slots to spare.

Amen broddah! That, and I have to drive 5 displays and I refuse to deal with switches and the disconnect/connect suggestions!

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Why in the heck do you need that massive cooler for a 75mhz overclock? Someone is smoking a lot of crack over at Asus.

because that's not really an overclock, its just ASUS's own stock clock that they support with warranty from what nVidia set as the baseline, a real overclock is whatever the user adds to the card

you can't come remotely close to the cooling performance of a triple slot cooler with just a double slot design, its at least a 10C advantage.

lower temps, lower noise, higher real overclock, and no real compromising on any of those three. In order to hit the same overclock with a dual slot design, you're going to be sacrificing on either temps or noise, and will likely still end up worse overall in all 3

May 13, 2009
Anyone who has owned a DCII loves these things. I had a gtx 580 DCII and it was the best card I have ever owned.
The 7970 is already a beast overclocker. Imagine the 7970 with asus' custom pcb and beefed up vrm's. Card will be amazing.

aandea

Jan 21, 2012
The Lightning won't solve my issue of needing 3+ DP connectors (based on the 6970 version), so if this thing isn't priced absurdly, it'll probably get my money. That or I wait for the 7990... but I'd just rather not...

+1

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Anyone who has owned a DCII loves these things. I had a gtx 580 DCII and it was the best card I have ever owned.
The 7970 is already a beast overclocker. Imagine the 7970 with asus' custom pcb and beefed up vrm's. Card will be amazing.

Don't get me wrong I love asus, but I would be sold on DC2 if it weren't triple slot. I just don't get it. That makes it very difficult to SLI.

I really wish they'd make it into a double slot card. I don't need the extra fancy stuff or extra connectors. For now I think MSI lightning / TF3 is king.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
Don't get me wrong I love asus, but I would be sold on DC2 if it weren't triple slot. I just don't get it. That makes it very difficult to SLI.

I really wish they'd make it into a double slot card. I don't need the extra fancy stuff or extra connectors. For now I think MSI lightning / TF3 is king.

You mean Crossfire, but yes they do make duel slot, eventually. My cousin has two of the 6950s duel slot models in crossfire.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
because that's not really an overclock, its just ASUS's own stock clock that they support with warranty from what nVidia set as the baseline, a real overclock is whatever the user adds to the card

you can't come remotely close to the cooling performance of a triple slot cooler with just a double slot design, its at least a 10C advantage.

lower temps, lower noise, higher real overclock, and no real compromising on any of those three. In order to hit the same overclock with a dual slot design, you're going to be sacrificing on either temps or noise, and will likely still end up worse overall in all 3

That's not true at all. Well, maybe for reference type double slot designs. Here is an example of the DCII cooling capability, this is on a 6950 so I can reference it to my own. The DCII has an overclock on the core of 950MHz at stock voltage, and its hitting 65 Celsius.

My double slot TFIII cooled 6950, overclocked to 1005MHz at 1.25V, maxes out at 68 Celsius in any game, and is barely audible with a custom fan profile. Hell, even the TFII in linked chart is beating DCII by 6 degrees.

In my own opinion, triple slot is a bit much when you have coolers like Twin Frozr that are within a few degrees of it. Even more of a space hog when you want to run more than one card and are going to stick with air cooling.