Toyota T100 Truck: Any good?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fumbduck, May 7, 2003.

1. fumbduck

fumbduck Diamond Member

I am looking into getting a newer car, or truck, and have been looking at the toyota tacoma and t100 line.

however, I havent been able to find much information on the T100, like its reliability, crash tests, etc.
    Also, I cant find the gas mileage, but its a 3.4L V6 Manual.

2. Toasthead

Toasthead Diamond Member

The t100 was redesigned renamed the Tundra because it got pretty bad reviews and was generally considered a poor choice among the larger trucks. The Tundras, on the other hand are much better ( toyota got it right the seond time around). Tacomas are one of the most popular small trucks around, because the kick serious butt.

3. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

Realiability will be standard Tacoma. If you wanna tow 5000LBs, the advice that I've read is: "It does great, you just have to keep it over 3500RPM and never go higher than 3rd gear". So, as a truck I can't recommend it. The V8 Dakotas would do better. (and standard full sizes much better) The T-100 was just a compact that was made wide.

4. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

carpoint.com

edmunds.com

as was stated, when toyota brought out their new truck they wanted to change the name. first name was T150, but since it looks a lot like the F150 in both the interior and exterior ford told them not to, and they changed it to tundra.

5. fumbduck

fumbduck Diamond Member

from what i've read the T100's were just underpowered when compared to the V8 competitors, but im not lookin for power.

6. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

My uncle: Why don't they make a 4 door T-100?
    Toyota dealer: Because then the frames would be so long they would fall apart.

My uncle bought a '94 Dodge Cummins Ram and has proceeded to rack up a couple hundred thousand miles on it as a work truck. No major issues.

The T-100 didn't have the rest of the components beefed up like it needed to to really be a full size truck.

7. PricklyPete

PricklyPete Lifer

I've heard the same thing...but I think I would stick with either a Tacoma or go all out and get the Tundra...I almost got a Tundra instead of the Yukon I bought...but I have since sold it and bought a car as my daily commute has lengthened to where I can no longer justify the gas consumption.

8. fumbduck

fumbduck Diamond Member

dodge dakotas and rams suck up the gas though.

what i need is a decent lookin truck that gets 20+ gas milieage and has enough room in the back to hold 1-2 motorcycles

9. Demon-Xanth

Demon-Xanth Lifer

20+MPG in a truck is quite rare. Try a late '90s Chevy C1500 w/ a 4.3V6 and 5 speed. I seem to remember my brother in law getting about 20-23 on an average (usually city). Don't quote me on that. But the 4.3+auto is a dog, you'll want the manual.

10. Tom

Tom Lifer

I doubt you will get 20mpg in a Tundra, otherwise I imagine it's a good truck.