Toyota, Audi, Acura, or Maxima

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
6,044
23
81
Wanna spend less than $13,000 for either a Solara, Audi A6, Maxima or Acura CL.
Whcih is better? I've heard Maxima's have issues with transmission, but the ones I've been looking at were made in 2000.
 

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
9,943
107
106
Very odd choices there: 2 coupes and 2 sedans, one of each being a luxury car and the other high-end mainstream.

If reliability is a primary concern, all are fine except the Audi.
 

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
15,780
0
76
Any of the above except for Audi. VW/Audi have a horrendous reliability and customer satisfaction records as of late.
 

J Heartless Slick

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
1,330
0
0
I can not imagine paying attention to anyone who defines their masculinity by what car they drive.

I would stay away from used Audis or VWs. Toyotas and Acuras, if properly maintained can last more than 200,000 miles
 

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
6,044
23
81
I love the look of the 2000 Maxima but everyone who has a Maxima says their transmission goes.
 

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
12,634
3,025
136
Originally posted by: J Heartless Slick
I can not imagine paying attention to anyone who defines their masculinity by what car they drive.

I would stay away from used Audis or VWs. Toyotas and Acuras, if properly maintained can last more than 200,000 miles

and i suppose you dress like a woman too?
 

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
3,549
1
0
www.facebook.com
I was aware a good number of the 2000 and up Maximas had ignition coil pack issues, but hadn't heard about the tranny issues. My cousin had an '00 Maxima and had to replace all the coil packs eventually, but has had zero problems otherwise with his car.
 

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
10,198
4
76
I'd go for the Acura. The Toyota is kind of wimpy, while the Audi won't be fun to keep running. Nissans are kind of meh too.
 

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
27,519
2
81
I'd go for either a 6-speed Acura CL Type-S, or a 6-speed Maxima SE :) The Audi is crap, unreliable it will never be. The Solara is boring.
 

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
6,044
23
81
Originally posted by: Aquila76
I was aware a good number of the 2000 and up Maximas had ignition coil pack issues, but hadn't heard about the tranny issues. My cousin had an '00 Maxima and had to replace all the coil packs eventually, but has had zero problems otherwise with his car.

How many miles thus far and how much did the ignition coil packs cost to get fix?
 

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
5,388
1
0
the coil packs are about $300 for all 6 from online dealers. only the 02-03 have the bigger 3.5l engine, and HIDs that are very easily stolen.
 

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
5,953
0
0
What kind of transmission issues are there with the Maxima?
You mention 3 times in no less than 15 minutes.
 

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
74,459
854
126
Originally posted by: lilcam
I love the look of the 2000 Maxima but everyone who has a Maxima says their transmission goes.

I have a Maxima and haven't had any trouble with the transmission. We have 47k miles on our 2003 Maxima SE.