Toy of the year Aqua Beads

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This is absoluty frightning IMHO. Yeah, our government is over reaching, but I sincerely appreciate the strict standards we have for food, toys, etc. More bad news for imported Chinese products. It's amazing it's all coming tumbling down.

I realize the percentage of tainted ANYTHING is low, but, as a proponent of outsourcing to a point, I clearly admit the weakness-lack of quality control. Let me tell you a little insight why I have this opinion. I'm a aquarium enthusiast. Some of my tanks I feed bloodworms. The problem with bloodworms is they are VERY messy. I have made a simple feeder that controls the bloodworms and keeps them in a nice tidy plastic basket until ready to be eaten. It costs me about 25 cents to make. I have even made a few for friends. I looked into marketing them, as there are so few solutions for this, and bloodworms are VERY common in the community. I found a company, yes in China, who will take my design, make my product, and ship them to me for $100 for 1500 units. Now, I looked around the US for a similar solution, and the best I could find was a total $500 setup, then $2.25/each. As someone who could probably make decent money on my product, the answer is obvious. I havent done it yet, as right now I dont have the time to market. But, you get the idea.

Now, back to the OP.

Australia's Chinese-made Toy of the Year contains 'date rape' drug

Australian officials ordered a popular Chinese-made children's toy pulled from the shelves after scientists found it contained a chemical that converts into a powerful "date rape'' drug when ingested.

Last update: November 07, 2007 ? 6:37 AM

SYDNEY, Australia - Australian officials ordered a popular Chinese-made children's toy pulled from the shelves after scientists found it contained a chemical that converts into a powerful "date rape'' drug when ingested.
Three children have been hospitalized over the past 10 days after swallowing beads from Bindeez, named Australia's toy of the year at an industry function earlier this year.

The beads in the toy, sold by Australia-based Moose Enterprises, are arranged into designs and fuse together when sprayed with water.

Scientists say the beads contain a chemical that the human body metabolizes into the so-called "date rape'' drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound - made from common and easily available ingredients - can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death.

The New South Wales state minister for fair trading, Linda Burney, ordered the toys pulled from store shelves Tuesday when it was learned a 2-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl were admitted to a Sydney hospital after swallowing large quantities of the beads.

A 19-month-old toddler from Queensland also was receiving medical help after eating the beads, the state's chief health officer, Jeannette Young, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

"The number of product recalls of well-known toys is highly disturbing to me,'' Burney said. "In the meantime, I would urge parents to immediately remove any Bindeez products from their children.''

Naren Gunja from Australia's Poisons Information Center said the drug's effect on children was "quite serious ... and potentially life-threatening.''

A statement from the New South Wales Fair Trading Department said the product was supposed to used a nontoxic compound used in glue, but contained the harmful chemical instead.

Moose Enterprises could not immediately be reached for comment.

Here's another article.

HONG KONG: Poisonous toy beads from China were not under suspicion when an Australian biochemist began trying last month to figure out why a 2-year-old boy had fallen into a shallow coma with seizure-like movements and been rushed to hospital.

Clinicians treating the boy suspected an inherited metabolic disorder. So Dr. Kevin Carpenter, a biochemical geneticist at the Children's Hospital at Westmead, in a suburb of Sydney, began checking urine samples for certain chemicals. What he found instead was gamma hydroxybutyrate, or GHB, a banned "date rape" drug that can be life threatening.

Four weeks of medical sleuthing led Carpenter to the conclusion that the boy had eaten Bindeez toy beads coated with a glue compound that the boy's digestive system had converted into GHB. At least four other children have been temporarily hospitalized in Australia and New Zealand in the past three weeks after eating the beads.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
"appreciate the strict standards we have for food, toys, etc."

You are joking right? The over whelming majority of items do not get inspected when they come to the us, hence the reason they have to be recalled as they have not only made it to shelfs but to peoples homes.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
"appreciate the strict standards we have for food, toys, etc."

You are joking right? The over whelming majority of items do not get inspected when they come to the us, hence the reason they have to be recalled as they have not only made it to shelfs but to peoples homes.

uh, you know I was talking about US standards right? I really dont see the same number of recalls for American made products as Chinese...and do you think the components that go into the manufacture of US products are not approved by whatever agency approves it before its made? Come on man. No system is perfect, but ours IS the best.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Sleazy guy at a bar: "Hey baby, eat this toy."

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I had a shocking revelation yesterday. My GF bought this tiny little pad and pen for her purse to write notes on and such, and it came with a couple of spare writing pads. On the back it says Made in China.

What this tells us is that it's much cheaper to ship lumber from the US or Canada to China, turn that lumber into a paper, and ship it back to the US then it is to do it all here.

That my friends is absolutely unbelievable.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ayabe
I had a shocking revelation yesterday. My GF bought this tiny little pad and pen for her purse to write notes on and such, and it came with a couple of spare writing pads. On the back it says Made in China.

What this tells us is that it's much cheaper to ship lumber from the US or Canada to China, turn that lumber into a paper, and ship it back to the US then it is to do it all here.

Believe it. I have a friend who works for a lumber company. He buys trees in the Northwest US from landowners and ships the trees to China via freighter. The Chinese use the trees to make furniture and ship it back to the US on another freighter.

That's cheaper (much cheaper) than having the furniture made in a factory right next to where they harvest the trees here.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Chinas government is not so much a government as it is a gang.
They are like the blood ands the crips but instead of selling drugs on street they are using slave labor to sell cheap goods to Americans.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A Canadian comedy show did a joke about China recently. It went something like this: China has recalled its' Ambassador to Canada in protest of the Dalai Lama(sp) being given an Honorary Canadian Citizenship. That brings the number of China recalls to 500 for the year.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

You are correct. Re-read my own personal experience.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I tell you this...when the HELL are we going to wake up.

They use slave labor.

They use cheap crap materials.

They are poisoning us.

All in the name of "We want cheap crap"

NO MORE CHEAP CRAP

As we have been distracted by oil prices, the war on terror and the Iraq war, China has managed to take over tons of manufacturing and send us cheap dangerous crap.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
As we have been distracted by oil prices, the war on terror and the Iraq war, China has managed to take over tons of manufacturing and send us cheap dangerous crap.

Made in China has been around for decades.

There is a trend. As long as we avoid things from China that are intended to go in the mouth or could end up in the mouth in the way of children's toys, it's not that bad.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb

There is a trend. As long as we avoid things from China that are intended to go in the mouth or could end up in the mouth in the way of children's toys, it's not that bad.

The problem is you can't find stuff that isn't made in China, nearly everything is made there. $100 sweaters from the Limited are made in China.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb

The problem is you can't find stuff that isn't made in China, nearly everything is made there. $100 sweaters from the Limited are made in China.

QFT^QFT!!!

I love going to an expensive store and finding that.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

They use slave labor.

They are poisoning us.

NO MORE CHEAP CRAP

Although we know slave labor exists (not just in China BTW, but you know that), a quick search I couldnt find anything that says its the norm. I certainly found alot of op-ed pieces claiming all kinds of numbers, but nothing concrete. Part of the reason, as also noted in many articles, is that China doesnt publish such numbers. So to say it's the norm is a little alarmist.

My wife is filipina, and there many factories making products imported to the USA. I personally know 4 people who work in those factories, and all 4 of them say the working conditions are good (clean, meals provided, and 8-10 hour days with 2 days off/week), the pay is good, and as far as they know no one under 18. *shrug* Maybe you have different personal experience.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

They use slave labor.

They are poisoning us.

NO MORE CHEAP CRAP

Agreed. It is sickening how we, as a nation, whore ourselves out to the cheap products from China. :|

I'd much rather see manufacturing jobs come back to the US and pay higher prices for quality products.