Toxins leaking from 2nd pipe at NC coal ash dump

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by ivwshane
There appears to be a lot shady stuff going on between the governor and this energy company.

Was it this company that was fined a measly $99k for another spill or major violation?

Not very long ago Conflicts of Interest were frowned upon.

Now it is expected and rewarded.

Take the CEO of Time Warner for example, he gets $56 million for selling out the Company to Comcast.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fly ash impoundment ponds are accidents just waiting to happen. Remediation after plant closure or when a certain tonnage level is exceeded should be federally required. The secret of coal is that it really isn't cheap power...the utilities just pass the costs (largely environmental) on to the rest of us.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Your experience backs up the simplest of logic. I don't understand why people would think a company would act in any other way but selfishly. Environmental rules are an absolute necessity and without them you end up with companies polluting willy nilly. The evidence of this behavior is so voluminous it defies belief people think it's not a real thing.
Even if it's not intentionally being selfish, it's the same result. Companies look for ways to make more money and solve problems. Stopping an environmental damage like a fly ash pit collapse isn't either, it's merely a potential problem, much lower on the list of priorities. Having enforcement of regulations designed to prevent such occurrences bumps this up on the list by increasing the likelihood of a financial loss. A fly ash pit which might (or might not) collapse at some unknowable time in the future versus an inspector who will be here in a month.

Yes, not every issue has the same solution and sometimes as most people don't want to acknowledge sometimes the general solutions of the world-view you mainly follow doesn't fit too well with the problem at hand.

Yep, nailed it.

This shows another problem here - after such an event, it's cheaper to buy politicians than to really solve the problem and/or really fix the threat or damage.

Feb 16, 2005
Resorting to insults? Keep it up scumbag. I am for less regulation but I never said deregulate everything so keep assuming.

Here ya go, ya little goat fucker

imeter1.gif

Apr 27, 2012
Here ya go, ya little goat fucker

imeter1.gif

STFU, Still angry about getting teabagged?

I never said you did unless your name happens to be libertarian...

as for insults I responded in kind unlike the "moron" who instigated them....

Maybe you'd get insulted less if your posts didn't warrant them as often as they do.

Ass.

You're still resorting to insults because you're wrong. You're nothing but a scumbag leftist.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Duke is horrible. Every year they try to increase rates by 15 to 19% percent and every year the local govt gives them 9 to 12% increases, and they aren't even using the money to do necessary maintenance. I hate how power companies have a monopoly... They are my power company btw and I live near the spill area (40 miles).

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Duke is horrible. Every year they try to increase rates by 15 to 19% percent and every year the local govt gives them 9 to 12% increases, and they aren't even using the money to do necessary maintenance. I hate how power companies have a monopoly... They are my power company btw and I live near the spill area (40 miles).
They are not a monopoly everywhere. In some places I've worked with Duke Power/Duke Energy, the lines are owned in common or by a non-producer and Duke competes with one to three other utilities.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
They are not a monopoly everywhere. In some places I've worked with Duke Power/Duke Energy, the lines are owned in common or by a non-producer and Duke competes with one to three other utilities.

They aren't always a monopoly...

but when they are they rape their customers endlessly...

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
I would love to see coals true cost after its long list of externalities are internalized. It has to be 50% higher or more than it is considered now.

Feb 16, 2005
Yes It did happen and you can't get over it. It's why you have such a deep hatred of me.

I don't hate you, I just want to point out your blatant hypocrisy, raging fear of muslims, and your typical spiral into a frothing, name calling rage, all the while crying that the other guy's calling you names and resorting to that because they got 'tea-bagged'

8nchDsE.jpg

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
It is sad how common place cronyism is these days, but something about rivers burning does not illicit much thought from the right wing. Where ever the right wing deigns to even think, soot and ash soon follow. They care nothing of themselves or other's health. These swine shit where they eat for compensation in total that is mere peanuts. God damn these peasants! They just refuse to stand up for themselves.

Apr 27, 2012
I don't hate you, I just want to point out your blatant hypocrisy, raging fear of muslims, and your typical spiral into a frothing, name calling rage, all the while crying that the other guy's calling you names and resorting to that because they got 'tea-bagged'

8nchDsE.jpg

Based on your posts it's clear that you hate me. I don't know what hypocrisy you're talking about and I am not afraid of Muslims, But keep making up crap. And the Tea Party isn't racist but keep spreading lies.