Town Halls turn against McCain.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politi...1101/pl_politico/15147

McCain avoids trouble from crowds

First, there was the angry man who told John McCain to hit Barack Obama ?where it hurts.?

Then came the woman who called the Democratic nominee ?an Arab.?

And don?t forget the man who stood up before a packed crowd and said he was ?scared? of an Obama presidency ? nevermind the racially tinged cat calls and rounds of boos from McCain?s other gymnasium crowds.

The town hall format was supposed be the Republican nominee?s favorite campaign forum, highlighting his shoot-from-the-hip style, his broad knowledge on a slew of issues and his irreverent wit. He loved it so much that he challenged Obama to a string of town hall debates.

But with their potential for amplifying unscripted outbursts and attention-diverting disasters, the microphones at high school gymnasiums and basketball arenas across the swing states have gone silent during the final stretch of the presidential campaign. McCain, a man who has prided himself on discussions with the common man, has not entertained a single question from audience members since Oct. 10, when he faced a belligerent crowd in Lakeville, Minn., that at times turned against him.

The disappearance of the town hall format from McCain?s campaign is striking, political observers said, offering a vivid example of how a signature strength became a potential liability and was abandoned. (Obama, too, has done away with the town halls, last taking questions from voters on Sept. 12 in New Hampshire.)

?The town hall format proved to be a little embarrassing for the campaign, and it built a negative picture about what this campaign is all about,? said Julian Zelizer, a professor of history and public affairs at Princeton University, adding that the encounters were ?too costly.?

Over the past few weeks, McCain has replaced his beloved town halls with large rallies, press statements delivered at factories and in hotel ballrooms, ?town square? stump speeches given in the center of small towns, and stops at restaurants and other local landmarks.

I'm guessing at this point McCains thinking its a good thing that Obama wouldn't have the ten town hall debates.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Obama didn't want a run in with Pete the Artichoke merchant and Sally the fetus.

SecPro

Jul 17, 2007
O blah-blah showed a lot of cowardice by not taking part in the town hall discussions that McCain proposed. His handlers knew that if he strayed too far from his cue cards and teleprompter he would quickly be exposed as the empty suit that he is.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: SecPro
O blah-blah showed a lot of cowardice by not taking part in the town hall discussions that McCain proposed. His handlers knew that if he strayed too far from his cue cards and teleprompter he would quickly be exposed as the empty suit that he is.

So you completely ignore the fact that McCain can't handle townhall meetings even when it's him by himself there talking to people?

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007

Lolz yeah Obama should have went to McCain townhalls and campaigned the way McCain wanted cuz that turned out so great.

You people that think Obama should have campaigned the way McCain wanted make me laugh.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Drift3r

So you completely ignore the fact that McCain can't handle townhall meetings even when it's him by himself there talking to people?

not wanting stories in the news every hour about how some random crazy person said something retarded to JSM at a town hall meeting =! can't handle them.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

:roll:
I'm assuming from your low post count that you don't spend much time reading threads on these forums, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and infer that you don't spend much time reading the news in general. Even most McCain supporters long ago realized that Obama isn't just an "empty suit."

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

not wanting stories in the news every hour about how some random crazy person said something retarded to JSM at a town hall meeting =! can't handle them.

Exactly. Some of the outbursts either never really happened in the first place (aka - the "He's a N**ger" comment) or either McCain or Palin didn't hear them. The one outburst McCain DID hear was the one where the lady called Obama an "Arab" and McCain quickly corrected her on that one.

In any case, we've already learned that no matter what is yelled out in the audiences at these rallys, the liberal kook blogs will make something up and the MSM will run with it. So i don't blame McCain for doing what he is doing.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000

His approach appears to be correct.

-Robert

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: loki8481

Exactly. Some of the outbursts either never really happened in the first place (aka - the "He's a N**ger" comment) or either McCain or Palin didn't hear them. The one outburst McCain DID hear was the one where the lady called Obama an "Arab" and McCain quickly corrected her on that one.

In any case, we've already learned that no matter what is yelled out in the audiences at these rallys, the liberal kook blogs will make something up and the MSM will run with it. So i don't blame McCain for doing what he is doing.

The point is he's been doing the townhall for over a year now and suddenly stopped when his audience started asking what was really on their mind.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
McCain can't handle the difficulty well. Obama would be able - as he did with 'Joe the Plumber' - to eloquently use the comment to make his own statement rebutting the problem in the comment.

I've accused Obama of making pretty empty speeches, but I think my pointing out his ability as above is accurate.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Bitterness at its worst... I have come to find that the people who feel compelled to changed the spelling of Obama's name to something witty like, O blah-blah, have an extra 21st chromosome, squinty eyes, and a protruding tongue. At least we don't have to worry about you fathering children.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Repub strategists and mouthpieces have worked hard to nurture blind stupid outrage among the faithful, and they've done it for decades.

Problem is, that's not something easily controlled or directed, and gets ugly fast when the mob turns on ya'...

So they're reaping what they've sown, even if it's taken a long time to mature...

I've got tears in my eyes as big as horseturds, I'm tellin' ya'...