Tourism rises globally, but not to U.S.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: GooeyGUI

I'm not in the tourism industry, but my attitude was like this. "We're great entertainment and people should want to come here to have a good time." I never thought of it much more than that.

Maybe we need to be more like other developed nations. We compete a little with some promotion and smoother entry for vacationers. There's a problem with Homeland Security requirements with having more than 1,000,000 names on the "no fly list" - for sure.

Out of curiousity has you ever travelled much globally? The USA is about the easiest countries to get through.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: GooeyGUI

I'm not in the tourism industry, but my attitude was like this. "We're great entertainment and people should want to come here to have a good time." I never thought of it much more than that.

Maybe we need to be more like other developed nations. We compete a little with some promotion and smoother entry for vacationers. There's a problem with Homeland Security requirements with having more than 1,000,000 names on the "no fly list" - for sure.

Out of curiousity has you ever travelled much globally? The USA is about the easiest countries to get through.

Yeah, once you have the paperworks, and I wouldn't say it's the easiest. Easy if you're a US passport holder. Believe me when I say I've been to the four corners of the earth (that's because I haven't been to Africa, and not planning to).

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Originally posted by: DarkThinker
Hassle wise....getting a visa and going through Security checks to come it's not worth it...it's not worth trouble...
Culture wise...there is no culture....it has all been seen in movies.....when I moved to the US....I learned nothing new I had had seen it all long before on TV hehe...

Why would more people want to come here for tourism? While they would be able to find more attractive cheaper more exotic destinations to visit in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East?

Yeah, it's stupidly ridickulous trying to get a visa from the department of sitting on our asses wait... INS. I've heard of people spending a 1 1/2 years trying to get the stupid thing. Take Australia, it takes me fuck all $20 dollars and 2 minutes on the internet to get a visa. Malaysia? You buy one at the border. Even freaking CHINA doesn't take that long for me to get a visa. No where else on earth people go through the hassle of obtaining a visa like the US.

We're setting sail for fail I'm afraid.

It's true....long ago...in 2000, before I had my citizenship application ready, my family were trying to get a VISA so that we could attend my sister's wedding and then go back home a week after that....well guess what? Neither me nor my dad where able to attend the wedding.....that was fscking awesome....just awesome.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
my wife she travels a lot for business, every time she land in USA they ask why so many visas from foreign countries on her passport. I sometimes I take a trip with her but it is ridiculous.