Touchpads

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Is the disable touchpad button and the fact you have to use it everytime if you want to either start typing immediately after using the touchpad and vice versa. I just dont like the "symmetrical" layout that some manufactures place on their touchpads.

So with a poll, what are your opinions on the symmetrical layout of a touchpad and that extra step of a disable button?

Personally, I tried an HP laptop with the disable button and the touchpad centered. It is not comfortable or a natural transition especially if you have to work on a document and moving the pointer several times. That right thumb sometimes triggers the touchpad if I forget to disable the touchpad. But with the I6000, it is not a problem since my thumb does not overlap the touchpad due to the keyboard and touchpad layout.

Busithoth

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2003
I personally hate them. The Trackpoint on the Thinkpads is one of their best features, I've always thought (and most people I know who don't like them have only used a nasty 5-year old one. they are replaceable).

I've been thinking of ordering a wristrest for my thinkpad that just doesn't have one (I've gotten pretty used to avoiding touching it), but it doesn't seem worth the money (and, I'll admit, late at night, in bed, the touchpad seems more convenient)

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I dont't know why people hate the touchpad so much. I think its ok. I never move my cursour when I type and I can do all the things with a touchpad much faster than a trackpoint. I can keep one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the trackpoint, just like I do with a mouse.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Disable both touchpads and trackpoints and use a mini-optical usb mouse with the scroll button. I have a HP dv1000 with the touchpas disable switch - it is nice - but with a mini-mouse, it is a non-issue.

One reason I hate touchpads is that one has to takes one's hand off of the keyboard to use it, and it works best when used with two hands. Much clumsier than a rodent.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: corkyg
Disable both touchpads and trackpoints and use a mini-optical usb mouse with the scroll button. I have a HP dv1000 with the touchpas disable switch - it is nice - but with a mini-mouse, it is a non-issue.

One reason I hate touchpads is that one has to takes one's hand off of the keyboard to use it, and it works best when used with two hands. Much clumsier than a rodent.

Um I think touchpads are best used with one hand. Tap once to leftclick and tap the upper right corner to leftclick. Easy :)