Touchpad scroll issue

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Just got a new laptop today (Toshiba Sat) and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to disable some highly annoying feature. It's the one where if I use the scroll bar to move up/down a page, it will continue to scroll once I move my cursor away from the sidebar unless I lift my finger off the touchpad first. My old laptop didn't do this so I'm hoping there's a way to have this one not do it.

Checked all the settings but I just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
It is called Virtual Scrolling. Go to Control Panel-->Mouse and there should be a section of Touchpad configuration settings.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
It is called Virtual Scrolling. Go to Control Panel-->Mouse and there should be a section of Touchpad configuration settings.

I don't think that's the same function that I'm having trouble with. Within my mouse settings, yes, there is a setting for "Use Scroll Function." If I enable that, then the bottom and right side of my touchpad basically act as a scroll feature. I'm okay with that. My problem is that if I click on the slidebar of a webpage and scroll up/down, it continues to scroll even if I move my cursor off of the slidebar. I either have to lift my finger off the pad before I move off the slidebar or move my cursor a few inches away from the slidebar. And if I do that, it automatically scrolls to the bottom of the page.

Enig101

May 21, 2006
Originally posted by: 49erinnc

I don't think that's the same function that I'm having trouble with. Within my mouse settings, yes, there is a setting for "Use Scroll Function." If I enable that, then the bottom and right side of my touchpad basically act as a scroll feature. I'm okay with that. My problem is that if I click on the slidebar of a webpage and scroll up/down, it continues to scroll even if I move my cursor off of the slidebar. I either have to lift my finger off the pad before I move off the slidebar or move my cursor a few inches away from the slidebar. And if I do that, it automatically scrolls to the bottom of the page.
Your description is similar to the behavior of this desktop PC I am using. Even if I move the pointer off of the scroll bar, it continues scrolling when I move the mouse until I release the mouse button. Moving the pointer further away from the scroll bar causes it to snap back to where I began scrolling. That is just how Windows is as far as I know. Does that fit with the behavior of your laptop, or is that different?

If you actually have to lift your finger before moving it off of the scroll bar, that would seem abnormal.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Enig101
Originally posted by: 49erinnc

Your description is similar to the behavior of this desktop PC I am using. Even if I move the pointer off of the scroll bar, it continues scrolling when I move the mouse until I release the mouse button. Moving the pointer further away from the scroll bar causes it to snap back to where I began scrolling. That is just how Windows is as far as I know. Does that fit with the behavior of your laptop, or is that different?

If you actually have to lift your finger before moving it off of the scroll bar, that would seem abnormal.

Yes, that pretty much sums up the problem I'm having. I call it a "problem" because my desktop doesn't do this, my older laptop doesn't do this, nor does my work computer or my SO's laptop. However, will say that this new laptop is the only one running XP Home. The others run XP Pro so perhaps it has something to do with that.

And yes, it would be abnormal to lift my finger but that's what I'm having to now do to keep the page from scrolling.