Totalwar: Warhammer, who's preordering?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
TW:Warhammer certainly lacks faction options compared to other TW titles but I am certainly enjoying the fantasy aspect, monstrous creatures are a blast and making agents an actual fighting unit in battles is fun. It makes me care a lot more about my agents

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Bought it and tried on steam. Refunded it though. I'll play again when it's cheaper. Still a few total war games behind.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
TW:Warhammer certainly lacks faction options compared to other TW titles but I am certainly enjoying the fantasy aspect, monstrous creatures are a blast and making agents an actual fighting unit in battles is fun. It makes me care a lot more about my agents

Vargulfs are the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I dabbled with a few demos for RTS over the years but never spent the time on them to get the appeal. Well, my son got me to try TW:Warhammer a couple weeks ago, so we could do 2v2. It came with a AMD FX I picked up for a backup/guest PC. Now I am hooked. I immediately bought Attila and have been playing that too.

The monsters and magic are much more fun to watch replays of than just humans. Blood for the blood god adds to the entertainment. I am finishing my first play through as the empire. Never thought I would like micromanaging so many things as much as I do. The battles can be epic in scale sometimes; I had 5 armies on 2 when besieging dwarfs. Often have to watch a replay though since I am too busy directing battles to zoom until near the end more oft than not.

I will play dwarfs next time.

On replay value: Because I r n00b, and there are distinct play styles for different races, I can see me getting 100s hrs out of this game easy. That is campaign alone. 2v2 may have me playing till the next total war hits.

Any suggestions on what other Total war to get? Thanks if you respond.

Reactions: shortylickens

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Medieval War 2 Total War and the America's expansion is still the best TW game in my opinion.

I haven't given this one a try just yet as I'm still waiting for a major price drop. Shogun 2 to Attilla were major disappointments (especially Empire) and I can't believe after all this time they finally got one right.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I dabbled with a few demos for RTS over the years but never spent the time on them to get the appeal. Well, my son got me to try TW:Warhammer a couple weeks ago, so we could do 2v2. It came with a AMD FX I picked up for a backup/guest PC. Now I am hooked. I immediately bought Attila and have been playing that too.

The monsters and magic are much more fun to watch replays of than just humans. Blood for the blood god adds to the entertainment. I am finishing my first play through as the empire. Never thought I would like micromanaging so many things as much as I do. The battles can be epic in scale sometimes; I had 5 armies on 2 when besieging dwarfs. Often have to watch a replay though since I am too busy directing battles to zoom until near the end more oft than not.

I will play dwarfs next time.

On replay value: Because I r n00b, and there are distinct play styles for different races, I can see me getting 100s hrs out of this game easy. That is campaign alone. 2v2 may have me playing till the next total war hits.

Any suggestions on what other Total war to get? Thanks if you respond.

As below. Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2 werent that bad. Rome 2 and Attila can be fun, but they are the worst of the whole franchise. Medieval 2 is still the top game.

Medieval War 2 Total War and the America's expansion is still the best TW game in my opinion.

I haven't given this one a try just yet as I'm still waiting for a major price drop. Shogun 2 to Attilla were major disappointments (especially Empire) and I can't believe after all this time they finally got one right.

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
TWW now clocked at 277hrs for me. Warhammer for me is the best in the series. Not interested in playing any of the older tw games.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thanks for the responses. I will pick up Medieval War 2 based on the feedback. I am glad to read I am not the only one that is not a big fan of Attila. But it was only $9, still a better value than the movie ticket it would have bought, to be certain.

Stg-Flame, what are you looking to pay? CDkeys has it for $43, are you waiting for the $30 or less tier? In my inexperienced opinion, versus Attila, it is orders of magnitude better. The monsters and magic are good times.

Cheers!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Definitely $30 or less and leaning pretty hard on the "or less" part. I love Warhammer (it's possibly my favorite RTS franchise) and I still love the older Total War series, so I was pretty excited when I learned they were joining forces. However, given their track record for Total War games, I just can't believe this installment won't be a major letdown like the previous 5+ titles.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
how's the single player? i've never played the TW series, but i love warhammer (or more specifically, 40k), so i'm mildly interested.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I bought it yesterday after waiting for at least one 'good' patch. I saw the Update 2's notes and thought that it definitely looked like the devs care about it, and that they're taking the game's support seriously. I had been interested by the game ever since I saw the first previews but I knew that I had to wait at least for some time, which I did. I think it payed off, because the Total War game I've bought is probably the best one in the entire series for me so far; and don't think that it's gonna get worse either. To be honest though, there's some bias. I've been dreaming about a Total War game set within the Warhammer universe since the first Rome. In fact, when I played Rome for the first time it didn't take much time before I started imagining those Roman and Carthaginian armies as Orcs and Chaos units instead.

However, after the absolute Total (see what I did there huh?) mess that was Rome 2's initial release (a game that I never bought, and to this day still don't regret) I think that something must have happened, either internally over at Creative Assembly, or at SEGA (or both, maybe actual communication is what happened, maybe the working conditions improved; maybe someone at SEGA woke up after Rome 2). So, I don't know what happened, but I'm playing a rather [surprisingly] polished, pretty well-balanced, smoothly-performing (even under the clearly-labeled "beta" DX12 mode), non-crashing, non-stuttering-even-at-Ultra-(and recommended)-video-settings Total War game that's barely three months-old post release (in fact, it'll be three months-old tomorrow on the 24th). Now, THAT is what of course should have happened with Rome 2. That's what actually happened with Shogun 2 (in my opinion, the second best in the series; now that I think Warhammer is the first).

I was still very hesitant buying this one but I'm very pleased to 'report' that I'm simply lovin' it. I highly recommend it. Really, good job CA; now stay on this track please (and SEGA, keep them there, don't rush their games out).

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
how's the single player? i've never played the TW series, but i love warhammer (or more specifically, 40k), so i'm mildly interested.
Here is some gameplay of Vampire Counts "
"

I just watched some gameplay of 40k, and it looks similar to the halo wars my kid played years back. I may pick that up. Getting tired of sandbox and shooters and the other stuff I play, this genre is a refreshing departure.

I have everything but Beastmen DLC, and have started my Dwarfs play through. I need to get airpower asap, because they feel painfully slow starting out. At least compared to the Empire cavalry units I was last using, which were fully boosted and had +20 speed banners. The patriarch quest battles were a blast. Got outflanked by the Vampire minions but the tanks saved the day.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I just watched some gameplay of 40k, and it looks similar to the halo wars my kid played years back. I may pick that up. Getting tired of sandbox and shooters and the other stuff I play, this genre is a refreshing departure.

Which 40k game?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Good question, looks like there are quite a few titles. I was watching this older one circa 2009
You might want to check out Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. I still hold that one as my personal favorite (next to Brood Wars) RTS game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The only time I ever used mods was on Soulstorm and even then it didn't make that game playable. Which was really depressing because that game had so much potential to blow Dark Crusade out of the water, but with the time constraints and the fact Relic was going out of business, it was rushed to the point where it was nigh unplayable. The Persistent Bases mod made the game pretty fun for a while, but there was an error with the mod (which I was told has since been fixed) that caused your bases to randomly disappear after defending a territory multiple times in succession. It's been almost four years since I last played Soulstorm and I know there are tons of mods out there that fix everything Relic left broken, but I still can't force myself to reinstall that game.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thanks again for the recommendations.

I am still on the dwarfs/dawi play through, and this game is crack.