Totalwar: Warhammer, who's preordering?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
So, who tried the game? Release date is today!
I'm tempted but really not sure. I never played Total War games and suck at heavy strategy games like that...but it's Old World Warhammer so the theme is calling me.

Any opinions on this title?
Second that, I have held off this long, but watching videos has me ready to plunk hte full price down.. I see GMG has a 20% off at least.. damn my willpower!

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
I would describe this game as your standard Total war game with a Warhammer® twist. In other words when playing, I feel I am playing total war rather than a computer version of Warhammer® as was the case for Shadow of the Horned Rat. If that makes any sense.
It wont replace the table top game. Have I mentioned there are no Snotlings.
Also no Skaven© although they are referred to, no dark elves, no high elves and no Lizardmen as yet.

Do I like the game? Yes I do but..... I would have preferred an up-to date SotHR rather than a Total War with a Warhammer® skin.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
I've only been able to log an hour so far but I'm enjoying it. I like how your general/lord feels more important with their experience tree. I have yet to receive any quests but they seem like a qreqally neat feature

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I found an older GMG discount so got it for $40, not half price at $30 but close (and yes it will be $9.99 on one of the BIG steam sales, i know, I have no willpower. I played a few hours last night and am quite honestly mixed. I like the total War games but feel as they progress they are turning into MICRO manage hell, I want the tactics of battle and less of the micro manage crap. I knew this going in and still jumped.. The actual fighting and tactics are good, nothing new if you played Total war, but some differences, The magic, or abilities seem more pronounced in this case. I am maybe just a bit "dazzled" as I feel warhammer lends to this type of game well, but the I really feel the special powers can turn a rout into a win if done right. It runs better then Attila, I'm not seeing the slow down of that game in battles so that is good. Right now I love the battles and hate the micro manage, so yep Total War game but i like the source material so I'm good with the purchase, nothing new otherwise, except it seems to run better then the last game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Since the previous TW games have been such a massive disappointment, I have no problem waiting this one out. Personally, the best in the entire franchise was Medieval 2: Total War.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Since the previous TW games have been such a massive disappointment, I have no problem waiting this one out. Personally, the best in the entire franchise was Medieval 2: Total War.

Was it? I think I skipped that one...though I might have it buried in one of those packages where I payed something like $15 for 4 or 5 Total War games (that I have never played) in a steam sale.

My favorites are original Rome and Shogun 2. Didn't get into Rome 2 for very long (it was good...just genre burnout)

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

massive Disappointments? Have any scored under the 80's in reviews? While i know a review is not the end all, and we all like different things, the Total War games are generally liked and have good reviews as far as that type of game goes. Again we all don't like the same thing, but if they have all been disappointments , none are that different, they are all massive army tactical sims with copy/paste units, maybe not your type of game. So, may i ask, what massively tactical games are better, I am sure there are some, just wondering what you feel is better, maybe Im missing it? One place Warhammer seems to stand out a bit is the Hero units which give it a bit more depth then the others (that's just my opinion).

If i had to pick Napoleon would be the best of the batch, up to Warhamer, I like the magic and Hero units, and its playing better then previous TW games (speed wise).

But as stated in this thread many times, it will be way cheaper in a few months may as well wait if your not in a rush to get it.

Feb 25, 2011
Got a 20% off code last night. Played for an hour or so so far.

Looks very good, performance is more fluid than I generally expect from TW. (Empire and Rome 2 were both choppy at launch and improved later.)

Interface is a little busy for my tastes. (Hard to spot buttons, etc., because of all the visual "style.") Otherwise, seems like a good game. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I picked this up as well, runs really well at 4K and max settings and looks pretty damn good, I've only had a chance to try a few quick battles but seems pretty good so far. I hope they add all of the teams to this, kind of ridiculous they don't have even one of the 3 elven teams and no skaven is pretty surprising as well. I can't blame them that much though, 5 different factions to start is a lot of content and balancing and adding more teams would make things pretty overwhelming.

Reactions: shortylickens

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
I'm hoping for more factions just to add new enemies. I played a lot of tabletop 40K and Chaos was my favorite to play. I never played Tabletop Warhammer but I obviously gravitated to Chaos. New races would require different tactics in battle which is always more fun.

Performance wise I am blown away at how quickly the game will load directly into my campaign from desktop. Shogun 2, Rome 2 and Atilla always took a couple minutes to load but TW:Warhammer takes less than 30 seconds. The mechanics behind Lords and Heroes makes them feel more important and I want to do my best to keep them alive. In Rome 2 I rarely cared if my General died, just as long as I won the battle.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I'm hoping for more factions just to add new enemies. I played a lot of tabletop 40K and Chaos was my favorite to play. I never played Tabletop Warhammer but I obviously gravitated to Chaos. New races would require different tactics in battle which is always more fun.

Performance wise I am blown away at how quickly the game will load directly into my campaign from desktop. Shogun 2, Rome 2 and Atilla always took a couple minutes to load but TW:Warhammer takes less than 30 seconds. The mechanics behind Lords and Heroes makes them feel more important and I want to do my best to keep them alive. In Rome 2 I rarely cared if my General died, just as long as I won the battle.

Im a bit worried, really enjoying it but balance seems a bit "off" Vampires are supposed to be the HARDER campaign (chaos even worse) with the Humans and Dorfs and orc much easier.. not in my playing, My first human campaign i hardly made it out the gates and was wasted (bad luck, will try again, i like a challenge), the dorfs are ROCKS, but really start of get hammed by grudges when a orc runs way back in lands you cant get to early game and you have a grudge on them. Vamps, i had killed the other factions and owned in a few hours.. Choas, not sure, have not tried..
but the hero unit building is very big sway point, and i think that is where the Vamps are just owning. YOu can kill enemy hero's out the gate quite easily (first play thorough i killed.. my strategy so far is just hammer that enemy hero (while keeping other units occupied), once dead then work on rest, they fold pretty easy. Even battles where they are 2X larger then you, engage, kill hero and win, this seems .. wrong, but it sure works well.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So what's the general consensus on the game now that it's been out a while?

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
I absolutely love it. When I am not playing it I am talking about it on forums. I am not a good total war player so finding it very hard when playing on very hard.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
So what's the general consensus on the game now that it's been out a while?

Amazingly, it is quite fun. Not a finished game however. It is decently polished and optimized, probably surprising for a Total War game, but there is only so much content. Much of it is quite good and very fun, but a few problems need addressing. Plus it uses many of the same campaign mechanics as Rome 2 and Attilla, and those are not going to change much with patches or new DLC, considering it is the base fundamentals of the campaign mechanics.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

This. The only reason I got the game now is the multiplayer, with how many got the game, and how many are playing right now. For singleplayer, I would have had no trouble waiting it out.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Are the campaign battles similar to what you see in some trailers (ie. massive battles that rely on just numbers) or are there only big battles when it comes to sieges or main armies clashing? The one thing I loved in the older TW games was how much strategy played in battles rather than just who had the bigger number next to their unit cards.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Are the campaign battles similar to what you see in some trailers (ie. massive battles that rely on just numbers) or are there only big battles when it comes to sieges or main armies clashing? The one thing I loved in the older TW games was how much strategy played in battles rather than just who had the bigger number next to their unit cards.

Smaller armies are somewhat common, although huge armies are probably the norm. Its obviously been that way since Rome 2, since you cant create armies without lords, and thus with only a few armies, you are going to have all units of a faction condensed. Not something I am enthralled with, in fact I am very much against it. If we could get the map system from Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2 mixed with the main settlement building system from Rome 1 and Medieval 2, plus the old army mechanics, that would be amazing.

Also, I havent come across any naval battles yet, and it seems the only use for the sea is harbors generating some economy, and armies being able to take to the sea in transports.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

After playing them all, i would say yes its scaled down a bit, but when you think one Ogre is the same as any unit that has 100 guys.. I have had some huge battles when my armies all come together, pretty much on par with any of the other TW games. But its not as common. I feel this one take much more tactics, the hero units really change the game IMHO. I have been winning battles where i have 1/2 the army because of tactics, not something I could do as well witht he other TW games, so maybe its easier? Is it something totally new, no not even close, is it a good Total War game, in my opinion its the best one.

#1 on steam for a few weeks.. still, should tell you a tiny bit.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
About a dozen hours in, fun game. Not as involved as Shogun, however there is more variety in gameplay factions.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I've played about 15 hours each of the Empire and Dwarf campaigns. It is a great game, but man the late game needs work. Only being able to colonize certain cities limits expansion, and there is little incentive to leave your empire to take the fight to Chaos once everything is up stable and well defended.

Fortunately, for a release title this is the best Total War game in ages. There are some issues with graphics and cheating AI, but in general it all works well and oozes lore. I just hope some solid DLC comes out later that adds gameplay for the late game and not just factions.

Reactions: shortylickens

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
DX12 patch released today for Warhammer, try it out!

So far seems 290/x/390/x owners are getting a very nice FPS boost. My 280x gets a small FPS gain, but the whole games runs a whole lot smoother and more enjoyable overall. Though still in beta, I'd say this is a very nice DX12 integration.

Edit: on nvidia side only 1070/1080 users so far seem not to be losing performance.