Totalwar: Warhammer, who's preordering?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Not preordering. I'm very excited about TW Warhammer but I'm not lifting a finger until I see some proof that the game is worth it. The last TW game that I really enjoyed was Empire even though it was a buggy mess at release. As a loyal TW fan I continued to buy them all with the exception of Atilla. From my perspective, TW games have started to act like Molyneux titles where the hype and promises usually fail to be represented in the end product. I'm not saying that they don't have character or that they are worthless...but the bugs and lack of evolution from title to title gets old.

I'm really interested in TW Warhammer, but if I find out it is just a buggy, reskinned derivation of earlier titles I'm probably going to pass. The game engine especially up to date hasn't taken advantage of multicore systems making turns excruciatingly slow. I'm not pessimistic but neither am I going to blindly walk into it. I'll wait a week or 2 after release and see what the players say.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Given how Rome II turned out I'll give it 6 months and pick it up at half price.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
After reading up on the updates since I last looked into this game, I am quite disappointed with CA's pre-order nonsense.

Chaos is a major faction in the Warhammer world and forcing customers to either pre-order or buy the dlc to unlock them is silly. Warhammer already has a significantly lesser amount of races/factions. This isn't like Rome 2 where the choices for starting factions is plentiful and offering dlc for a new one isn't a great deal like it is to omit Chaos and open it for dlc. If they offered say, a specific clan of Chaos (or any other race/faction) or perhaps new units or a leader in wouldn't have such an issue.

It's also ridiculous that this is dlc on day ONE. it may have been forgivable if this was created after release and packaged in dlc a few months later but they made the Chaos faction before launching but are forcing customers to pay or pre-order.

Poor form, CA, poor form

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
After reading up on the updates since I last looked into this game, I am quite disappointed with CA's pre-order nonsense.

Chaos is a major faction in the Warhammer world and forcing customers to either pre-order or buy the dlc to unlock them is silly. Warhammer already has a significantly lesser amount of races/factions. This isn't like Rome 2 where the choices for starting factions is plentiful and offering dlc for a new one isn't a great deal like it is to omit Chaos and open it for dlc. If they offered say, a specific clan of Chaos (or any other race/faction) or perhaps new units or a leader in wouldn't have such an issue.

It's also ridiculous that this is dlc on day ONE. it may have been forgivable if this was created after release and packaged in dlc a few months later but they made the Chaos faction before launching but are forcing customers to pay or pre-order.

Poor form, CA, poor form

I agree, but its hard to blame CA for this when gamers in general eat that stuff up. They are just looking for profit and gamers are notorious for bit*hing about stuff and then buying into it. I'm not saying you are...but many will.

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
I pre -ordered. I have no will power. I have been waiting for something like this for years, since Shadow of the Horned Rat my fav PSX game. Dark Omen did not have the same attraction for me, seemed I was destined to follow a set course of battles.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Pre-ordering is for chumps. It's only a matter of time before Pre-Orderers will be burned.

Chaptorial

Feb 7, 2010
I pre -ordered. I have no will power.

I haven't done it yet but I have every intention too. Big fan of the TW games and while I really have little knowledge of the Warhammer universe, a medieval fantasy TW game is right up my alley.

Fingers crossed its not a complete mess at launch. They actually delayed it a couple of months so hopefully that was time spent polishing it up. Also the developer CA has stated that TW Warhammer will be the first TW title to support a 64bit engine.

Deep down inside I'm still skeptical though.

Reactions: shortylickens

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
For me this is the most exciting title I have looked forward too for a long time. Yes I pre ordered as I know I will want the chaos pack which is the incentive for pre ordering. I don't think the price will drop on the game as quickly as many seem to think. With Games Workshop within the partnership I wouldn't be surprised if the price went up 50% every six months like their models.

I know I am going to be milked on this game and with every pathetic download content I will be spending my money as I love the Warhammer universe and have done since 1985/86.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Just preordered today, bit earlier than expected. But my comrades had too, so I was...pressured ;)

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Total war series is just past "fun" and ventures into micro management HELL. Its the strategy game we all think we want till 30 turns in that "wrong move" you made in a research tree really bits you hard. I keep buying them and playing them, and will do the same for WarHammer is this is a perfect match for the Total War engine. But i have to agree, the DLC, preorder and get a faction stuff is getting out of hand. I want my game complete to start, and if its great and sells well, an expansion down the road. I dont want to pay $100 up front and get a crap game I dont care for. I understand it, force the payment up front, not a bad business model, but shows zero concern for the players. just shows how many games cant sell DLC because we love the game after playing it. If you dont make a good enough game that I will by an expansion pack down the road, you sure dont deserve the money up front before i can play it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
First you say:

Total war series is just past "fun" and ventures into micro management HELL. Its the strategy game we all think we want till 30 turns in that "wrong move" you made in a research tree really bits you hard. I keep buying them and playing them, and will do the same for WarHammer

and then you say:

is this is a perfect match for the Total War engine. But i have to agree, the DLC, preorder and get a faction stuff is getting out of hand. I want my game complete to start, and if its great and sells well, an expansion down the road. I dont want to pay $100 up front and get a crap game I dont care for. I understand it, force the payment up front, not a bad business model, but shows zero concern for the players. just shows how many games cant sell DLC because we love the game after playing it. If you dont make a good enough game that I will by an expansion pack down the road, you sure dont deserve the money up front before i can play it.

here's the deal: You are the problem. Stop supporting this practice and it will cease to exist. Now, go convince your friends.

And for one thing, Total War games are nearly always on deep, deep discount nearly 1/2 year after release, often including much of the DLC junk.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
First you say:

and then you say:

here's the deal: You are the problem. Stop supporting this practice and it will cease to exist. Now, go convince your friends.

And for one thing, Total War games are nearly always on deep, deep discount nearly 1/2 year after release, often including much of the DLC junk.

Dont i know it, as you stated they are always cheap later, and that "IS" when I buy them. I have taken my stand (somewhat) I drew my line in the sand with Origin, I really wanted Dragon Age (new one) but stood my ground. I want to wait on Warhammer but they have pulled the "screw you" on those of who wait, no chaos units. I havent bought it yet and am trying to hold my ground again, but i keep thinking Warhammer is the perfect setting for a total war game.

I agree, I'm part of the problem, but in the last year + i have only bought one DLC (fallout) and plan on abstaining from now on.. I doubt enough of us will ever do it to change things, but who knows.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
Does anyone know how many unique army factions were in Rome 2? One thing I enjoyed about Rome 2 was fighting different types of armies throughout the campaign IE Hellenic armies and barbarian tribes. I'm just curious how much less variety Warhammer will have with 5 armies/races

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dont i know it, as you stated they are always cheap later, and that "IS" when I buy them. I have taken my stand (somewhat) I drew my line in the sand with Origin, I really wanted Dragon Age (new one) but stood my ground. I want to wait on Warhammer but they have pulled the "screw you" on those of who wait, no chaos units. I havent bought it yet and am trying to hold my ground again, but i keep thinking Warhammer is the perfect setting for a total war game.

I agree, I'm part of the problem, but in the last year + i have only bought one DLC (fallout) and plan on abstaining from now on.. I doubt enough of us will ever do it to change things, but who knows.

Yeah, for me it depends on the developer and the content--IP that is at least proven (proven that they have put out great value, or terrible value, so a decision can be made).

Some examples:

Total War: always a shitty pre-order, day-of, anything that is full price. I think I got Shogun II for something like $23, with one DLC, about 2 or 3 months after release in one of the Steam sales?

Borderlands: I always came to these games late (1-2), so managed to hold off and get GOTY editions 1/2 to 1 year later for about $15 total for each...or less. I think I paid $7 for all of BL1? not sure. I came to love those games, so I actually didn't mind paying full price for the week of release for BLTPS, because I felt that I had been robbing Gearbox all this time (those are DLC that are actually great, and don't feel cheaply torn out of the base game, because the base content in those always felt substantial, and then you get nearly 2 more games for each Borderlands when you add all of the DLC content). Now, I didn't realize that BLTPS wasn't Gearbox, but T2 Australia...so of all of those, it definitely cheapened out a bit when it came to the DLC. In fact, it was so misleading with what they eventually released that it left me a bit sour on the content. While I think that one was the lesser of the 3 BL games, I thought it was still pretty good and probably received more flak than deserved....it still should have been priced a bit lower, imo.

Witcher: I never really liked 1-2 in my earliest attempts to finish those. I wanted to like those games, and I do like CDPR, and from what I was reading about Witcher 3 (never interested for me years) coming up to the release, I felt confident that if I pre-ordered, I would not be disappointed. I grabbed a deal for about 15% off, pre-ordering ~2? weeks prior to release, and I was not disappointed. I am not sure if I will ever pick up the DLC for that--it has been nearly a year since I last played it, but maybe once all of that is released and I can grab it on a deep, deep discount, I will do another playthrough. But discounted Witcher 3 on release netted me nearly 300 hours of play on a single playthrough, and none of it was disappointing.

Bethesda--ES/FO: For me, I guess this depends on how I am feeling at any given moment. If you have played one or two of these games, you know exactly what you are getting into: a generally unfinished game that is going to be a buggy mess on release, generally look mediocre-to-ugly by current standards, plays just like every other version of that game...but if you like that model is still damn fun. Infinitely moddable is the big pull, imo. That, and you also know that these games tend to go on a decent discount half a year, a year later, and they are mostly fixed by that time (well, by the community). You could probably say, well that's what those assholes at Ubi do, as well, so why support one and not the other? Fair point...I guess it depends on personal preference and which game, or model, one prefers. Ubi doesn't really have the same type of mod community and effort that Bethesda brings, though, so I always give Bethesda the nod.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are avenues where pre-ordering and DLC are good models that probably should be supported, but it is one that is far too abused by the worst offenders...and they tend to be the offenders that succeed the most out of bilking their customers: Ubi for the bi-annual Assassin's Creed tower climbing re-skin, EA for everything they have made in the last 10 and more years....the usual suspects. :D

Last edited:

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
Posts like that will get removed by moderators. No relevance to thread.
Back to Warhammer totalwar:Ahamick there are five playable races. There are other factions which hopefully will have different armies.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
It look like Skaven, Wood Elves, Britonia and so on will be future DLCs.

I'll buy the complete edition in about 3-4 years in a steam sale then. At least I'll have Battlefleet Gothic: Armada & Man O' War: Corsair to amuse me in that time.

Feb 19, 2009
Saw it spike up into Steam's top 10 selling list. Seems folks are mad and pre-ordering games still!

I'm a TW fan, I'll buy it if it's not buggy and has functional DX12.

Reactions: shortylickens

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
there are five playable races. There are other factions which hopefully will have different armies.

I'm assuming these factions are already in the game and just not playable? I'm more familiar with 40k so do we know what these other factions are? I'm fine with them being rehashed core factions IE a variation of the Empire or Dwarven kingdoms. Just curious how many different options I?will have in selecting a playable army and how many different factions I will politically deal with

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I'm assuming these factions are already in the game and just not playable? I'm more familiar with 40k so do we know what these other factions are? I'm fine with them being rehashed core factions IE a variation of the Empire or Dwarven kingdoms. Just curious how many different options I?will have in selecting a playable army and how many different factions I will politically deal with

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Haven't done much research but looks like 5 races to start with (The Empire, Dwarfs, Greenskins, Vampire Counts & Warriors of Chaos) with a large pool of others to either be added as DLC or possibly modded in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Races_and_nations_of_Warhammer_Fantasy

The many factions of each race may even be modded in or just become regiments/hero/vehicle units to use.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
So, who tried the game? Release date is today!
I'm tempted but really not sure. I never played Total War games and suck at heavy strategy games like that...but it's Old World Warhammer so the theme is calling me.

Any opinions on this title?

tenpole

Aug 21, 2013
So far I am loving it. It plays different enough to Atilla/Rome 2 so as to distinguish it as a newer game and not just same stuff different graphics. One problem I have is in thinking of the units in terms of the table top game and 6th edition at that.
There are no snotlings so far.
When I got Atilla I never touched Rome 2 again. Now I have Warhammer I dont think it will be the end for Atilla because of the different setting.
Anyway back to the Waaaagh!