Totally BS traffic ticket

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
So I'm at the mall. In a really really well lit parking lot. Which leads onto a very well lit street.

Well lit enough that you could not see any differance whether your headlights are on or off.

So, being a little absent minded I forget to turn my lights on.

I pull out of the (bright) parking lot onto a (bright) street. As soon as I hit an area a little less well lit I notice my lights are not on and turn them on.

At which point I see flashing lights behind me and pull over.

I was already a little annoyed since the guy could have just flashed his brights at me.

But OK, check and make sure I'm not drunk and let me go.

But no, I got a bloody ticket for driving all 100 feet without my lights on.

Does anyone know if this counts for points on your record?

state 08

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2005
Your light's should be on 24/7, day or night, bright or dark.

He shouldn't have given you a ticket, but you shoulda had um on.

You should have a good chance fighting the ticket.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
online traffic school or talk to judge to have it reduced...

On a side note... I really wish full-time running lights were a requirement. I see so many people without their lights on in rain and snow... totally pisses me off.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Pretty weak that the cop gave you a citation, especially since you turned them on before he pulled you over.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
wow that sucks- I've driven past cops w/out my lights on before and got nothin more than a light flash to tell me to turn them on...a ticket is REALLY harsh

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Kyle
wow that sucks- I've driven past cops w/out my lights on before and got nothin more than a light flash to tell me to turn them on...a ticket is REALLY harsh

The town I got the ticket in is notorious for giving out a lot of tickets.

Like going 36 in a 30 zone and stuff.

I can't believe they would stoop to this level, though.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
It's annoying to see people driving without lights on, as it's more dangerous for the people around them than it is for the person him/herself...but in your situation, a ticket does seem to be slight overkill, considering you turned your lights on before being pulled over.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Sounds like a total bs ticket. I would fight it to have it reduced at least. I always put my headlight into auto mode, so even when I forget it will turn on for me when it's dark enough.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: state 08
Your light's should be on 24/7, day or night, bright or dark.

He shouldn't have given you a ticket, but you shoulda had um on.

You should have a good chance fighting the ticket.

Naw, it's better if you leave the lights off in your car, because that makes the lights on my bike more noticeable to other drivers.

Originally posted by: kt
Sounds like a total bs ticket. I would fight it to have it reduced at least. I always put my headlight into auto mode, so even when I forget it will turn on for me when it's dark enough.

So YOU'RE the guy I see driving through the pouring rain or driving snow with his lights off, because he trusts the automatic sensor to turn them on when it's "dark enough"?

MechaSheeba

Banned
Dec 10, 2005
I usually forget to turn my lights on when it starts to rain, until I see other cars with theirs on. At night it's usually a no-brainer, guess I'd better start paying more attention to em though.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
No lights on is one things cops look for to pull people over for DUI, but he could have gave you a warning. Probably just being an ass b/c he had to work this weekend. Check your local traffic laws, in some places lights are only required when visibility is less than XXX feet. If it's a moving violation that will hurt your record or insurance go to court, otherwise just pay the bs fine.

OVERKILL

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
it sucks but you know how common it is for this crap to happen.
The police want revenue for there town. This is just another sleazy way of getting money.

Good luck bro.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug

The town I got the ticket in is notorious for giving out a lot of tickets.

Like going 36 in a 30 zone and stuff.

I can't believe they would stoop to this level, though.

Why wouldn't you get a ticket for doing 36 in a 30? A sign that says 30 MPH speed limit means you should not exceed 30 MPH. Anything over and you should not complain about being ticketed. The signs arent there as a suggestion. Its called breaking the speed limit.

As for the headlight ticket, I agree its a little bit over the top.. but seriously.. Its probably what, a $40 ticket? Maybe $60 at the most?!?!!? Do you REALLY want to go to court to fight this down and then pay more than the original fine in court costs alone? Once you get in front of a judge, its up to him to impose the fine and/or court costs. Not to mention the time lost... You got unlucky, deal with, pay the fine, move on.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005

cops need to give out a certain number of tickets a month to keep their job title running well.

I'm not surprised if the cop was just looking for someone to suck up some payments so he could maintain the title of officer?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: akshatp

Why wouldn't you get a ticket for doing 36 in a 30? A sign that says 30 MPH speed limit means you should not exceed 30 MPH. Anything over and you should not complain about being ticketed. The signs arent there as a suggestion. Its called breaking the speed limit.

Considering that 6-8 over the limit is the safest speed under most conditions, most cops rightfully turn a blind eye to mild speeding.

WiseOldDude

Feb 13, 2005
It's not about what you can see, but without your lights it is harder for other drivers to see you.

Turn your lights on, go pay your ticket and don't be such a cry baby.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: akshatp

Considering that 6-8 over the limit is the safest speed under most conditions, most cops rightfully turn a blind eye to mild speeding.

I agree, and cops do turn a blind eye. however, if a cop decided to give a ticket for someone going over the speed limit, whether its 1mph or 10mph over, cant complain.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
It isn't a "bullsh!t" ticket as you were doing wrong at the time. However, it took one hardass cop to write a ticket for that.